FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 35 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 3
Ronin1966 3
AndyLA 1
Victor Smith 1
GojuRyuboy13 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
10/22/14 07:20 AM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35582 Topics
432510 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#132165 - 06/17/03 10:32 AM Re: Ki, the power to control energy or not?
JohnL Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: NY, NY, USA
I thought I'd try and get in before the multitude chimed in with positive reinforcement.

QUOTE]Originally posted by labRatBioMajor:
i at least know this: when i do naihanchin kata (uses an inward horse stance), it helps me keep my stance firm if i imagine my feet growing deep roots into the ground, or having a magnetic attraction to the ground.
[/QUOTE]

Your imagination is clearly running wild. The stance is kept firm by physical control. The more you train the better the control over your body you will have. Also, as the relevant muscle groups become accustomed to the tasks you are asking them to perform, it will become easier.

The mental imagery you suggest is nothing to do with Ki/chi.

JohnL

#132166 - 06/29/03 11:01 AM Re: Ki, the power to control energy or not?
Ender Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Burlington, Ontario, Canada
I beg to differ, JohnL, at least on some note.

The mental picturing labrat has described may not have anything to do with Chi/Ki, However...

It has long been documented by science that mental picturing can help focus your mind towards a single goal, and help any performance. It ahs long been a practice of great ath;etes to visulaize themselves performing well, so that when the time coems to perform, they have a focused mentality that allows them to perform far better than they would have had they not done this mental picturing.

Also, it can be said that Chi/KI (hypothetically stating that it DOES exist at the moment) is refined and used through mental picturing and focus. At my dojo we do a lot of mental picturing of different spectrums of light entering and leaving our bodies while meditating. Why?

It helps empty our mind and allows us to concentrate to a far larger extent.

I would also like to point out, JohnL, that you are not allknowing, neither are any of us. Your word is not law, and in this respect I believe you know absolutely nothing of which you speak, and are talking completely from your point of view. Of course this being the only way anyone could talk on an opinionated forum, but you have stated your opinion as if it is the facts.

This is most surely not the case, I can assure you.

#132167 - 07/09/03 11:18 AM Re: Ki, the power to control energy or not?
moe811 Offline
Stranger

for any one who does not believe in in or doesn't know what to think to get enought facts go to www.psipog.net enter and click newbies. if you dont find enough info there then go to articles and try to find sumthin.ki energy comes from thinking specifically a reaction in the central nervous system that creates energy. also if this still aint enough for you hethens (jk) then check out the video clips in media section of the site posted above. well gollly.

#132168 - 07/09/03 12:46 PM Re: Ki, the power to control energy or not?
JohnL Offline
Professional Poster

Hi Moe

I see that this is your first post to the forum (welcome by the way) so I should really take it easy.

God, if that web site impressed you, you must be one of the saddest individuals I know. The videos were pathetic as hell. They even had to say in their decription of the the videos that, "this is real". Oh well that settles it then.

And as for trying to link chi energy to Psychics, telekinetics, and a bunch of other unprooven hocus pocus, that helps the chi pushers no end.

Go earn the $1 million. Do something under close scrutiny and then we'll start to talk.

As I said, welcome to the forum [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG]

JohnL

#132169 - 07/10/03 08:41 AM Re: Ki, the power to control energy or not?
Kwun Offline

Loc: England
Just a matter of interest JohnL, how would you explain the 3-one inch punch?

#132170 - 07/10/03 08:48 AM Re: Ki, the power to control energy or not?
JohnL Offline
Professional Poster

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kwun:
Just a matter of interest JohnL, how would you explain the 3-one inch punch? [/QUOTE]

Body alignment, co-ordinated movement, good technique.
Most demostrations of these have a push element to them that didn't particularly impress me either.

JohnL

#132171 - 07/16/03 12:36 PM Re: Ki, the power to control energy or not?
Ender Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Burlington, Ontario, Canada
Wow, I looked at that site, and I have only one comment towards them:

You have been watching TOO MUCH Dragon Ball Z and Japanese Anime.

#132172 - 09/30/03 08:45 AM Re: Ki, the power to control energy or not?
StillWater Offline

Microwaves/radiation.
Sonar.
Magnetic fields.
Ifra-Red Light.
Pheromones.
Electricity.
The Atom.

What do all of these things have in common?

1)They all exist.

2) None of them could be "scientifically" measured or proven until the adequate technology for their measurement or observation was invented.

3) They have all existed either as potential or as reality in the world around us since before toilet paper.

4) Trying to prove their existance a few hundred years ago would at best get you argued with and laughed at, and at worst get you tied to a pole and set on fire.

Does this prove that Ki/Chi/Prana/Universal Fluid/"The Force"/the nearly a hundred other names used by nearly a hundred different cultures for one thing that they all believed existed but described differently
is real?
No.
But it should suffice as evidence that even if something can't be proven by the rules or methods of the current paradigm, it may still exist, and may even have a constant and essential role not only in the universe at large but in the immediate and day to day of every one of our lives.

As far as proving that Ki exists, I can't.
Not to you or him or her or anyone except myself (which i have done to my personal satisfaction) because as of yet there is no absolute, undeniable 100% scientifically verified kid tested and mother approved formula to do so.
It's something you have to find for yourself. Or not. As far as that million dollar challenge goes, ive looked at the website before and i dont believe anyone will ever win the million dollars, if for no other reason than that no amount of "proof" will ever suffice to change the mind of someone with a million dollars on the line.

To anyone interested in finding out for themselves, one excellent suggestion was already given: get a session of Reiki treatment.
Better yet, get an attunement. It will cost you some time and probably even some money (oh no! :P) but it would almost certainly convince you if you if you really do have an open mind. (Open mindedness of course does not mean accepting without reasonable consideration, but if you refuse even the possibility of something, your mind is neccessarily closed to it.) You could also look up Kirlian photography or Bio-Electric Feedback, although both are relatively new in terms of whats technologically acheivable.

[This message has been edited by StillWater (edited 09-30-2003).]

#132173 - 10/02/03 05:08 PM Re: Ki, the power to control energy or not?
Reiki Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: MiddleEarth
all *very* good points!

Unfortunately it is hard convincing the unconvinceable.... [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

I did try to help JohnL with daily remote treatments for 6 weeks for his shoulder injury a few weeks back, however my distant work is not as good as having a hands on treatment for actually feeling the energy.

Good to have another Reiki person aboard! Welcome! I think that makes 3 of us? Plus a number of other energy practioners who use chi.

As my RMT said, there can never be too much Reiki in the world, so I'm spreading it around myself as much as possible thru the 20+ [and rising] practioners I have attuned to date...

[IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG] May the force be with you! [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

#132174 - 10/19/03 11:17 AM Re: Ki, the power to control energy or not?
Zenmeister Offline

Loc: Honea Path, South Carolina, US...
You have just described some of the basics of Ki projection. It is naturally occuring in all of us, call it your essence, soul, spirit, karma, etc. And learning to cultivate it takes patience. I'm just at the very tip of the proverbial iceberg but based on the type of ki projection I've witnessed and the fundamentals I'm able to apply on a limited basis, it's one of those things that makes a martial art a true art and not just a sport or street fighting skill. Do more than read a book or website on Ki and go seek professional instruction. You'll be quite amazed at how the mind can push the body beyond normal limits.

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, tkd_high_green 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga