FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 41 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
Dobbersky 2
MattJ 2
royal 2
UKfightfreak 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#132155 - 05/09/03 04:55 PM Re: Ki, the power to control energy or not?
Kempoman Offline
Veteran

Loc: Houston, TX
Holy Crap!

I had no idea I was missing this discussion.

Reiki, did you get that off of mindboxing.com? Its a friend of mine's site.

Chi, qi, ki is really the natural processes of the body. Biochemical reactions and so forth as you train (qigong) you are making those processes more efficient and stronger. Where's the mystery, where's the magic? What is the confusion?

Can you knock someone down with your chi? No.

Can you move object with it? or make Dragonball-Z-like chi-balls? No.

Can qigong increase your health and quality of life? Yes.

The more oxygen you take in the more aerobic the conditions in your body become the better the process work and the more efficient your body becomes at taking in and processing oxygen so the better it works and so on. Its just science not magic. If you want magic, I am availble for shows at the cost of 500 USD per show (I'll blow your mind, but they are all tricks).

I tire of reapeating myself but if you think you or anyone can move things, heal cancer, knock someone down or make little chi-balls then go to

$1,000,000 Paranormal Challenge

and apply for the $1,000,000.

Even the most vocal proponent of Reiki and chi and ling kong jing (empty force) has failed miserably when challeged in this manner.

Taking the challenge is FREE, did you hear that F R E E!!!!

What are you waiting for, it free money yours for the taking

alright I'm sorry I got carried away there, but this crap gets my chi all riled up.

Scott

[This message has been edited by Kempoman (edited 05-09-2003).]

#132156 - 05/09/03 05:29 PM Re: Ki, the power to control energy or not?
Reiki Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: MiddleEarth
Gidday Scott et als

Did I get what off mindboxing.com? No, never been there! But I'll have a look at it now you've told me it's there!

Do u mean the formula or the stuff about measurement of ki? The measurement of ki stuff came from ome of the qui gong sites newsletters. I found it interesting to read the scientific approach while knowing the physical changes directly.

The formula is the std formula for sound power. Every acoustic engineer knows it and works with it.

I agree that working with ki [as in healing with Reiki] and doing Qui gong will improve your health and quality of life.

I've never said that you could use ki to move anything... that's why we have trucks! [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG]

Anyway I'm going to go and work some of my horses while it's not raining! I have the last of the season's competitions next week and I'd like to finish on another high before I let them have a rest for a few weeks while the weather is nasty. Then I can devote more time to MA training for a bit!

Budo
Train hard, enjoy!

And Scott, you'll have to be more awake to catch up with some of these discussions in future! Good post mate, I enjoyed your rational approach.

#132157 - 05/09/03 05:54 PM Re: Ki, the power to control energy or not?
Geoff Offline

Loc: UK
Don't want to be rude or appear closed minded butin thirty odd years of ma I have never been convinced of the existence of any chi or ki, however I will make an effort and look at reiki. I'm with John and the sceptics right now

#132158 - 05/10/03 05:44 PM Re: Ki, the power to control energy or not?
Reiki Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: MiddleEarth
Good for you Geoff!

All I was suggesting to the others was that they were open to trying new things before they knocked them, publicly or otherwise.

IMHO You can't possibly know whether you like/[or believe in] something or not until you've tried it at least once.

Budo

#132159 - 05/13/03 05:16 PM Re: Ki, the power to control energy or not?
madhag Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
chi is elusive to explain. it is inherent in all of us but beyond words. i think a simple very basic way to demonstrate it is to interact with a live being versus a dead one. You can say the dead body has no chi. Another is to be in the presence of a dying person taking his/her last breath.
chi can be applied in many many different ways. these little black letters is a result of my chi.

#132160 - 05/14/03 07:21 AM Re: Ki, the power to control energy or not?
JohnL Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: NY, NY, USA
Hi Madhag:

As always, when it comes to chi, people go off onto a winding path that goes nowhere.

"chi is elusive to explain."

No it isn't. You either can or you can't. If you can, fine, go ahead. If you can't, that's OK, just say so.

"it is inherent in all of us but beyond words."

How do you know it's inherent within all of us when you can't say what it is. It isn't beyond words. You just don't know the right ones to use so put forward lame excuses.

"i think a simple very basic way to demonstrate it is to interact with a live being versus a dead one. You can say the dead body has no chi."

One has a beating heart, the other doesn't. One has a pair of lungs pushing air around, the other doesn't. One's brain has ceased to function, the others hasn't.
Exactly what is the chi function that you're talking about.

"Another is to be in the presence of a dying person taking his/her last breath."

What on earth has that got to do with Chi.

"chi can be applied in many many different ways."

How can you apply it when you don't even know what it is.

"these little black letters is a result of my chi."

When your little black letters appear on my screen, they're
white. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG] See, I do have a sense of humour.

Nothing you have said has explained what chi is, whether it exists or not, how it can be used, how it can be proved, or when it ceases to exist.

Sorry.

JohnL

[This message has been edited by JohnL (edited 05-14-2003).]

#132161 - 05/14/03 02:03 PM Re: Ki, the power to control energy or not?
madhag Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Nothing you have said has explained what chi is, whether it exists or not, how it can be used, how it can be proved, or when it ceases to exist.

Sorry.

JohnL

My, are you having fun with your love letters. The love you spread on this forum is a nice example of extending your chi out to the universe.
May the chi be with you! [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

#132162 - 05/19/03 05:20 PM Re: Ki, the power to control energy or not?
Shadowfax Offline

Loc: Mason City, IA
OK, JohnL, the idea about hitting the chi practitioner in the head with a bat struck me as funny. Of course, I have a warped sense of humor anyway .. .

You should be aware, however, that your experiment would not be scientifically valid. Just for one example, once the guy got klonked, you would then have to prove that something in the mints did not block chi. If you're going to insist on a scientific explanation/test, then your test needs to be scientific.

Also, the idea that it's ONLY physical conditioning that allows the monks to take a hit to the throat is not exactly valid. You could get Mr. Universe up there and disable him with a punch to the throat, yet the monks don't seem to have a problem with it. Clearly, they're doing something other than simple physical conditioning!

I think a central problem with "believing" in chi/ki/etc is that the concept of people harnessing chi has been corrupted to the image of Jedi training. Too many people think that "focusing your chi" will let you move objects, choke people, "no touch knockout" people, etc, which has given the concept of chi a rather bad rap.

We have to keep in mind that the concept of chi was thought up by a people that knew nothing about technology, forms of energy, etc. We know that the body generates electricity, so why is it such a stretch to suppose that focusing chi is simply a way to focus the electricity? It doesn't have to be a wildly mystical energy force.

We already know that we can train ourselves to focus electricity. Go to any physical therapy clinic and check out the guy using the biofeedback machine to train himself to relax an injured muscle - - all that's doing is focusing on the flow of electricity - namely the nerve signals - to the muscle to stop it from contracting. It's not really that much of a stretch to suppose that we could learn to do more with this electric field.

That said, I should mention that I'm not saying yes or no to the question of whether chi is useful in the martial arts. Personally from what I've seen, it's not unless you have a lot of warning that a strike is coming, and if you have that much running you could (recurring Shadowfax theme here!) run instead.

#132163 - 06/05/03 01:12 PM Re: Ki, the power to control energy or not?
malanr Offline

Loc: IN USA
ok, not to offend anyone, but time to chime.

JohnL - I'm not going to try to tell you what to believe in. I feel the same way about religion that has to do with a absolute power, ie. God. No one has seen her. (Dogma) [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG] but there are millions of people that seem to believe in her. I for one don't really believe in anything that I don't have proof of. God is one. But i won't tell anyone not to believe.

Enough with the religious discussion.

I do believe in chi/ki, though. Because I have seen what i believe to be proof of it. I have witnessed people being moved with chi. no, they weren't levitated or thrown, but they were non-violently "pushed" over by chi. i won't try to explain.

If anyone has the opprotunity, please attend a George Dillman seminar on chi. he also has a new book to be released hopefully around October, on chi.

lastly, an open mind is one that can accept questions and is willing to accept an idea after that mind has "proof" the idea works or exists. what that proof IS, is up to the mind itself.
A closed mind is one that is not willing to experiment or have an idea explained or shown to itself. therefore a closed mind is ignorant to any ideas but it's own, and therefore shows little intellegence.

JohnL, I don't know you personally but i think you just haven't presented with proof that your mind will accept. BUT, i will not say that you are ignorant, or have a closed mind. I respect you that much. and I hope you respect me and others in the same way. Please don't rip people apart like that! I try not and if i have, i'm sorry i did.

Remember!: Proof is only to one, not many!

#132164 - 06/17/03 10:21 AM Re: Ki, the power to control energy or not?
labRatBioMajor Offline

i'm not sure what i think yet. currently, not all that inclined to say that i might one day be able to control energy around me...

however, the beginner's version concepts of ki may be something i can understand and/or benefit from...

i at least know this: when i do naihanchin kata (uses an inward horse stance), it helps me keep my stance firm if i imagine my feet growing deep roots into the ground, or having a magnetic attraction to the ground.

maybe this isn't ki at all... maybe it's just imagining success or some other sort of "let's make a poster of it and hang it in the cubicle" idea like "projecting success" or whatever. focus. having a plan. making my mind tell my body to act as if i were growing deep roots from the soles of my feet into the ground. (weird image, yet helpful).

am i on the right track? assistance/advice/correction requested.

-LK

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, tkd_high_green 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga