FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 53 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn
22904 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 14
cxt 7
trevek 6
JKogas 5
futsaowingchun 3
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Throwing
by
04/23/05 10:58 PM
Recent Posts
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/29/14 05:11 AM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:53 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
07/24/14 11:35 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
Forum Stats
22904 Members
36 Forums
35564 Topics
432455 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#131841 - 04/23/05 04:31 AM Weapon Involvement
Anonymous
Unregistered

Improvised or not, weapons can often end a self defense situation quickly, saving the victim from severe injury, death or sexual harresment. Weapons can often avoid a confrontation altogether, no violence or injuries.

Just asking for those all those people that have had to make use of a weapon, or had to defend from one during a confrontation:

1: Explain the situation
2: What weapon did you use or defend against
3: Did it work
4: What happened after, do you believe you were justified.

I guess the major issue with weapons is control. If the person behind the weapon is in clear danger, but in control of themselves and the weapon, then i believe the user has every right to use dangerous implements to defend themselves.

#131842 - 04/23/05 10:36 AM Re: Weapon Involvement
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sorry, but weapons are not necesary for people except women and when you're being attacked by multiple opponents. In my fight when I had a knife, I pulled it off my belt and handed it so someone else and proceeded to mop the floor with him like a little girl(thank you judo). If you can't go head on with someone confidently maybe you should switch to some grappling. Sorry for not answering the question the right way.

#131843 - 04/23/05 09:24 PM Re: Weapon Involvement
Anonymous
Unregistered

That was my point, either against another armed opponent or if you being attacked in groups. Sorry for not saying this.

"for people exept women"

Women are in fact quite capable of defending themselves. Probably not as well as your average male, but some are very formidable. MA teaches us this.

#131844 - 04/27/05 08:52 PM Re: Weapon Involvement
Anonymous
Unregistered

Martial arts tells me it's almost impossible to be in a good fight with out being punched in the face(unless your a great grappler and opponent is not at all). I also know that one punch to a womans face will stop her. I can't beleive you would actually try to be some feminist. Sure, women can poke you in the eyes and kick you in the nuts, but a woman can't fight a man. Joker. Plus, that is my response to your subject, that is what I did in a fight with a weapon. I put it down and kicked his ass. Thank you.

#131845 - 04/27/05 09:37 PM Re: Weapon Involvement
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Quote by Roxer:
I also know that one punch to a womans face will stop her. I can't beleive you would actually try to be some feminist. Sure, women can poke you in the eyes and kick you in the nuts, but a woman can't fight a man. Joker. Plus, that is my response to your subject, that is what I did in a fight with a weapon. I put it down and kicked his ass. Thank you.[/QUOTE]

Wow, stupid and sexist, amazing. You sir, deserve a sign.

Joel

#131846 - 04/27/05 10:46 PM Re: Weapon Involvement
Victor Smith Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Derry, NH
Before anyone wishes to get far in a discussion about the merits of weapons, you really should research what the record is by tracking the use of non-violent weapons in police hands.

They tend to have more occassion to try and use any weapon in a controling situation than anyone. And the history of every safe weapon system they've used is eventually somebody loses control and takes it to the next level. Whether weighted gloves, saps, night sticks, PR24's. Every sort of weapon can become instantly very dangerous if control wains.

And if the Police who have the strongest vested interest in trying to be in control can't do it, what chance does anyone less trained have to use any weapon safely?

The use of weapons isn't safe. Someone may luck out on occassion, but when they're being threatened, its highly unlikely that they can keep it under control.

Not that I think people shouldn't be prepared, just loose the illusion that it can be done safely.

On the other hand I like those who keep the impression that women can't handle themselves. It works in the favor of those who can.

Truthfully some men can't handle themselves, and of course some women can't either. But there are women that can handle men.

In fact by way of exmple the fastest woman on the planet is faster than 99.99999% of the men on the planet. Only the handfull of men who are faster can beat her, and I'm talking thousands out if billions, as satistical non number in practical terms.

The same is true ofthe strongest woman, etc.

Weak minds keep old dumb sayings alive.

Victor Smith
bushi no te isshinryu

#131847 - 04/28/05 05:51 AM Re: Weapon Involvement
Anonymous
Unregistered

A woman cant fight a man

I think JoelM explained it best. Give the man his sign.

I can't believe you would actualy try to be some feminist

Im no feminist, you might call me a realist. To say that women generally cannot fight or defend themselves is downright ignorance and rather stupid.

Roxer aside, Victor i understand where you are coming from. My point is exercising control. It is like learning to fight unarmed as we do in martial arts.Do what is only nessecary to save you or the lives of others.

The same clearly applies here with weapons, and the weapon will only do what you want it to do.

I also believe that the safety of the attacker should come second to the safety of the victim.

#131848 - 04/28/05 07:05 AM Re: Weapon Involvement
Anonymous
Unregistered

Weapons whether it be a bat, a bag of groceries or a cup of hot coffee will always give you the upper hand to an unarmed attacker. This is bearing in mind with regards to bats that you know how to use one and prevent the attacker from taking hold of your weapon and using it against you.

I'd try and utilise anything lying around to try and prevent an attacker getting anywhere near me. I work in an office and would definately throw hot drinks, plant pots, telephones, books and computer equipment to deter an attacker.

Roxer, I find your comments regarding women as offensive and ignorant and only highlights the lack of knowledge and a sign of arrogance which you hold.

For the record a feminist is someone who believes women should have equal rights to men. Many people shudder when the word feminist is mentioned without understanding the real meaning.

#131849 - 04/28/05 07:24 AM Re: Weapon Involvement
still wadowoman Offline
Improved beefier techno-prat

Loc: Residence:UK- Heart:Md, USA
Roxer,

Where did you hear/read/dream that a punch to the face will always stop a woman? A well timed, accurate, strong enough punch will stop a man or a woman.

When I was 12 I was punched so hard in the face that my tooth came through my lip, but I was not knocked out. My "opponent" was a heavily built fully grown man.

Women are most often smaller than men and therefore physically not as strong. They are no less capable of fighting and hurting their opponent than a man size for size.

They are not a different species.
Sharon

#131850 - 04/28/05 07:36 AM Re: Weapon Involvement
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chanters:

For the record a feminist is someone who believes women should have equal rights to men. Many people shudder when the word feminist is mentioned without understanding the real meaning.
[/QUOTE]

Emm... not that i am agreeing with roxter, but a feminist is not what you say it is. What you are describing is a normal person. I ve done a bit of psychology, and unfortunately we had to deal with feminists. Quite unpleasant really.

A woman is just as capable of defending herself. Dont be ignorant. MA should teach you that raw strength is not always the key.

weapons also have adverse effects in fights.
For example, i was witness to a fight once, between my sifu and a deranged gangster who thought he would come in the dojo and show everyone what crap we are learning. Sifu had only the intention of kicking him out, but he pulled out a knife.
He should not have pulled out a knife. Sometimes a weapon can anger your opponent more, and also if you lose control, not only have you lost your advantage but you gave the other person one.

That being said, there are self defence weapons such as tazers and sprays, because they work. They keep your enemy at a distance.
You are not always guaranteed to win a confrontation.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, McSensei, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga