FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 40 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn
22904 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 15
cxt 7
trevek 6
JKogas 5
futsaowingchun 3
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Throwing
by
04/23/05 10:58 PM
Recent Posts
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
Today at 12:04 PM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/29/14 05:11 AM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:53 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
Forum Stats
22904 Members
36 Forums
35564 Topics
432456 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#131736 - 04/15/05 06:26 PM Is it worth it?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Alright, so there are these jocks in one of my classes. Real class A assholes. They annoy me beyond belief, i mean, they're just the typical stupid jock. Now, in my class, there are some pretty geeky kids. The jocks harrass them horribly. My teacher, he's retiring this year, so he spends about 40 minutes out of class smoking in the bathroom. So today, the harrassing was going on like usual, and I was holding everything in to avoid confrontation. They were verbally abusing some of the kids, throwing bottles, paper balls, and shooting staples at them. Then one of them tries to stand up for himself, and lands on the floor with a bloody nose. I was gonna say something but the teacher walked in. He acted like nothing was wrong at all. If this happens again on Monday, I'm going to say something, I'm standing up for these poor kids. The thing is, I KNOW this will lead to confrontation, I know they are going to try and punch me. There's four of them. I know I can take them each individually, maybe even two at a time. I dont want to sound cocky, but I know what I can chew and what I can't. Now the way the class is I'm pretty sure I can manuver them so I'm only taking one or two on at a time. The thing is, do you think its worth it? Is what I'm doing going to be justified?

#131737 - 04/15/05 08:24 PM Re: Is it worth it?
Victor Smith Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Derry, NH
Apeus,

Is it worth it?

Certainly, but there is more than the one answer you suggest. Making yourself part of the issue might make you feel good, even with the risks, but it may not solve the problem.

First I think you need to find some responsible adult to interceed. Whether in the administration, a counselor, parent, or friend, somebody who will listen to you and in turn take action to make a case of your problem.

Let them as an outside party make the case, then you aren't the target.

It's regrettable that a teacher would not work to retain control of their classroom, but in the world, sometimes things are less than perfect. And when the focus of the class is lost, often herd behavior takes over. And this can happpen at any age.

What you want to do is find some force to inervene in the situation.

I would suggest finding an outside individual to do so is better. That somebody outside of the situation is making an issue of the poor behavior in your class will work to make the administration take heed.

And if you don't succeed on one try, try again.

There is somebody somewhere who can assist you. Make the effort to find them.

Victor Smith

#131738 - 04/15/05 09:13 PM Re: Is it worth it?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Fight them.

A Warrior doesen't fight only to win, its fighting for what you believe in, no matter the consequences.

#131739 - 04/15/05 09:19 PM Re: Is it worth it?
Anonymous
Unregistered

A "warrior" does nothing more than kill, or be killed. This isn't wartime, this is a classroom.

Advice like that goes against the tenets of the Martial Arts.

Grow up.

#131740 - 04/15/05 09:28 PM Re: Is it worth it?
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Apeus:
Alright, so there are these jocks in one of my classes. Real class A assholes. They annoy me beyond belief, i mean, they're just the typical stupid jock. Now, in my class, there are some pretty geeky kids. The jocks harrass them horribly. My teacher, he's retiring this year, so he spends about 40 minutes out of class smoking in the bathroom. So today, the harrassing was going on like usual, and I was holding everything in to avoid confrontation. They were verbally abusing some of the kids, throwing bottles, paper balls, and shooting staples at them. Then one of them tries to stand up for himself, and lands on the floor with a bloody nose. I was gonna say something but the teacher walked in. He acted like nothing was wrong at all. If this happens again on Monday, I'm going to say something, I'm standing up for these poor kids. The thing is, I KNOW this will lead to confrontation, I know they are going to try and punch me. There's four of them. I know I can take them each individually, maybe even two at a time. I dont want to sound cocky, but I know what I can chew and what I can't. Now the way the class is I'm pretty sure I can manuver them so I'm only taking one or two on at a time. The thing is, do you think its worth it? Is what I'm doing going to be justified?[/QUOTE]

How old are you again...... cause what my teacher always say to me "You got to do what you got to do"

*Inuyasha*

*Inuyasha*

#131741 - 04/15/05 09:35 PM Re: Is it worth it?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Fighting is only justified when there is no other way. There is another way here; so do not fight.

It is better to dirty the hands with diplomacy than bloody them with war.

#131742 - 04/15/05 09:46 PM Re: Is it worth it?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well I don't want to go and straight out fight them. I want to talk to them first and try and get them to stop. Only thing is the talking is most likely going to lead to them just trying to hit me, because they usually get confused with big words that don't pertain to football.

#131743 - 04/15/05 09:49 PM Re: Is it worth it?
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jigear:
Fight them.

A Warrior doesen't fight only to win, its fighting for what you believe in, no matter the consequences.
[/QUOTE]

Whatever you do,don't listen to this childish advice.
Take Victors advice,it's exactly what you should do.

#131744 - 04/18/05 11:07 PM Re: Is it worth it?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Don't group all football players and jocks as stupid jerks. I've played for 7 years and have maintained 3.8 - 4.0 statis for all of my High School years.

Next, first talk to them, if they attack you then defend yourself, if not and they don't do anything talk to a teacher/adult etc...

You may be surprised at the length of people that act like that to get to you. When you think that you'll only face 1 at a time, others may jump on tables and desks to get to you. I've seen it before, I've even seen students pick up chairs and use them as weapons. I highly suggest that you do not fight these individuals, even with a victory your confrontations will not be over.

#131745 - 04/19/05 12:55 AM Re: Is it worth it?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, I'm sure this issue has been resolved by now but consider: Four on One, I'm sure yuo can navigate the class to fight as few as you wanted in a perfect world, but they can move too and if I know bullies they're not going to waste time chasing you down, you'll either get backed into a corner and beaten down or they'll lose interest in you and you'll just end up looking like an ass dodging between desks. Also, they're jocks which means they spend large amounts of time building muscles so that people forget to notice how insecure they are. I'm not sure exactly how clever or tenacious a fighter you are but odds are that raw power has a decent chance of realistically overtaking you. You know, say they'll grab your shirt and then they'll all swarm around you. Even that's just assuming that they'll even fight. But hey who knows, maybe you're some totally hardcore legitimate badass who is capable of thrashing four guys at once. Doubtful, but how would I know? We first fight with logic and mind, if that fails we *go berserk and crack some skulls*..err something like that

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, McSensei, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga