FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 49 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn, Ron_Cooley, businns
22902 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 12
cxt 7
trevek 6
JKogas 5
futsaowingchun 2
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Iaido movements speed
by TooNice
04/14/14 01:47 PM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Recent Posts
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
Yesterday at 11:35 AM
centerline concepts
by Dobbersky
07/18/14 06:14 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:38 AM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Forget all that health stuff
by TaekwonDoFan
06/29/14 03:18 AM
Forum Stats
22902 Members
36 Forums
35563 Topics
432450 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#131688 - 04/08/05 03:48 PM Re: Yet another situation
Anonymous
Unregistered

These kind of stories are very interesting to read. It seems a lot of us have been in very similar situations: being attacked our outnumbered in a number of different circumstances where we have some type of handicap.

I think you did what you could of. It is hard to think on the spot, and you had all this **** with you which makes for a problem too.

We all practice martial arts for the enjoyment and fitness, and personally, I like to do them to feel confident if I was ever in a situation where I had to defend myself or neutralize an attacker I could do so. You took a blow to the head and didn't fall down, you took it like a man. You have to admitt you walked away from what could of been a very different situation. I bet you would of loved to knock the **** out of the first guy and then scare off his buddy. Nothing would of felt better than beating up some drunk who thought out of all the people on the street he chose to pick a fight with you.

I am the last person to pick a fight with someone, let alone a complete stranger, but these assholes sometimes need to be reminded not to mess with some guy for the sake of causing conflict. Teaching a lesson, as simple as that. You make sure that they never pick a fight with someone they don't know ever again.

#131689 - 04/10/05 04:24 PM Re: Yet another situation
Anonymous
Unregistered

I share the same experience, I've found that alot of fights can be ended by taking a hit, if they sucker punch you, and it doesn't hurt, then logic should tell them that they won't do much damage in a fight.

I was going to meet my friend at our favorite resturaunt, who is also a student of the same art. I was on my skateboard, going down the sidewalk fairly quick, and I was approaching the driveway to the parking lot. I glanced over the bushes for oncoming cars, and saw none. I heard an engine pulling hard, but figured it was somewhere on the street. I rolled onto the driveway and a car was speeding towards me at ide say around 35 mph (way too fast for a parking lot). I jumped up off of my board quickly while he was slamming on his brakes to stop. I landed on his hood on my feet and quickly jumped off, landing backward on my weakline and falling back. Apparently when this man almost hits a padestrian he gets quite angry. I stood up and dusted off, as he was getting out of his car, I smiled and said I was alright, figuring he was coming to my aid. He walked up to me in a fit of rage, yelling obsenities at me. I said that he shouldn't have been speeding and that he needed to be careful, picked up my skateboard, and started toward the resturaunt, where my friend was sitting in front. The man yelled that I should be careful not to be killed (by him not the car) I did not turn around. He said a few other things and I could hear by the level of his voice that he was following me. I turned to see, and he hit me straight in the face, while yelling something to me. I was shocked by the act of the random punch and wierded out that I wasn't on the ground, so I just stood there and asked him what he had said while he was punching me. He just stood there, fists up, waiting for an attack. Now I could have yelled for my friend and we could have jumped him very easily, and I was also holding my skateboard, which many skaters know, can be a very deadly weapon against the human body, but I just stood there, still kind of shocked by the punch. But I could see that my lack of reaction was really getting to this guy, so i politely asked him to return to his car, and he did. I went on to have a nice meal with a good friend. Instead of ending up in a squad car or a hospital.

I beleive you did the right thing, if you can take the punch, and you can control yourself and not lash out because of the fact that you got hit, then this is a great psychological tool against an adversary, although I did not do it on purpouse the first time, If it ever happens again, I hope that more fights can be solved like this. Ide rather have a little red mark and a slightly sore face than getting completely beat up, or having to fight the opponenht.

#131690 - 04/11/05 10:16 AM Re: Yet another situation
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Seph:
if you can take the punch, and you can control yourself and not lash out because of the fact that you got hit, then this is a great psychological tool against an adversary[/QUOTE]

Thing is, if he can grab you, he can hit you. If he can hit you, he can stab you.

The best thing is to learn to move the body and make him miss.

#131691 - 04/11/05 11:41 AM Re: Yet another situation
Anonymous
Unregistered

Of course the best thing to do is to move.

That's easier said than done, when you have your back to a metal rail and arms full of folders and it's too dark to see the punch before it's actually halfway there.

I think sometimes you just get thumped, and that's that.

#131692 - 04/11/05 05:22 PM Re: Yet another situation
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think your mistake with the drunk guy was letting him get close. You don't have to stand there if someone comes up in your face. Go ahead and backpedal so the other guy is always at arms length.

I think you probably could have done something if you wanted to. You sound kinda disappointed the kung fu didn't help you. All you had to do was snap kick him in the nuts. Even with a bag you should be able to do a snap kick to the nuts. Doesn't take much to make the other guy go away. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG]

#131693 - 04/11/05 09:18 PM Re: Yet another situation
Anonymous
Unregistered

My point is if you can't move around the attack, if it doesn't phase you, its quite possible that showing that the punch had no effect is a good psychological weapon against the opponent.

The best thing you could do is not move around the attack..but don't be in front of the attack in the first place.

#131694 - 04/12/05 12:59 AM Re: Yet another situation
Anonymous
Unregistered

[You don't have to stand there if someone comes up in your face. Go ahead and backpedal so the other guy is always at arms length]

Also, you do not have to answer anyone either. Just because someone says something to you, doesn't mean you have to answer them.

#131695 - 04/17/05 03:50 AM Re: Yet another situation
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by lme888:
Also, you do not have to answer anyone either. Just because someone says something to you, doesn't mean you have to answer them.
[/QUOTE]

Very good point that, it's worked for me on many occasions.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, McSensei, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga