FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 15 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn, Ron_Cooley, businns
22902 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 12
cxt 7
trevek 6
JKogas 5
futsaowingchun 4
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
Today at 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Recent Posts
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
Today at 10:15 AM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
Today at 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
Today at 08:53 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
07/24/14 11:35 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Forum Stats
22902 Members
36 Forums
35564 Topics
432453 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#131678 - 04/07/05 04:46 AM Yet another situation
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yeah, I know this board has about a million stories like this, but pff.

I was walking to the bus stop late one night to go home and I walked past this guy who started shouting at me. I just kept walking, figuring that most idiots give up after a while. But when I got the bus stop the guy had followed me, god knows why. I hadn't the faintest idea who he was. He came right over to me, with another guy, and was plainly drunk. I was standing against one of those chest-high railings with the knobbles and spikes on top, and he thrust his face right close to mine and started with the "Come on then, you want some?" routine.

I should point out at this point that I am bearing both a heavy backpack and an enormous folder full of work, which is probably why I have been singled out for this charade. Self defense is going to be tricky. I say to him, "What do you want?"

He hits me in the side of head, then. His friend tries to get the guy away from me, he's saying "What was that for, man? Stop it!" I haven't gone down, I've taken the blow and I'm still staring at the guy, and I'm wondering what to do, and then I remember that my hands are full, and I just turn and walk away. I walk up the road to the next bus stop. The guys didn't follow me.

Anyway, the point of this story isn't another did-I-do-the-right thing. I know that walking away was the right thing to do and there was probably nothing I could have done about the punch.

I've been studying seal lung kung fu for a while and I can't help wondering what the point is if fate keeps putting you in these situations where you can't use it anyway. To be honest, it's probably a good thing I was unable to fight, it probably prevented me from doing something stupid. But just for my own confidence I like to think that I could have done something and that I wasn't totally at the guy's mercy. I could have done some sort of a stamping kick to the knee, but not an extravagent side kick because my backpacks and such would probably have unbalanced me. I also could have used my free elbow I suppose. I had very little room, the guy was standing less than a foot away from me. Perhaps a knee strike to the groin and then a run-like-hell would have been most prudent...

But then, if I'd done that, his friend would have been less sympathetic to me and I'd probably have had two guys after me. Meh.

#131679 - 04/07/05 09:01 AM Re: Yet another situation
Anonymous
Unregistered

I can empathise with your experience, I think you did pretty well considering the logistics of the thing. Had you not been carrying so much then the story could have ended a totally different way, but then again you'll never know.

Idiots like the drunk you described are always too happy to pick on people who are obviously an easy or "easier" target than most. Hell at least you took the hit and are hopefully none the worse for it, although had he had something else in his hand it could have been a bit more worrying.

It sounds like if it had escalated you would have done more to protect yourself, naturally you were being extremely patient with this person. Good on you though, it also raises the question of effective defensive techniques when you're carrying so much stuff.

[IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

#131680 - 04/07/05 10:58 AM Re: Yet another situation
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MikeChaff:
I know that walking away was the right thing to do and there was probably nothing I could have done about the punch.[/QUOTE]

You don't necessarily have to "do something" to keep from being hit. Just move your head a couple of inches. Really, move the whole body. A lot of people in aikido will stand there and let the opponent grab their collar, but not me. I say, if he can grab your lapel, he can punch you in the throat, so even when he is "only reaching" for me, I move the body. It's just a matter of controlling distance.

As for the hands being occupied, I once had a guy punch at my jaw and I rolled my shoulder to deflect it softly while keeping both hands in my pockets. Freaked him out.

#131681 - 04/07/05 11:07 AM Re: Yet another situation
Anonymous
Unregistered

That's a weird situation and it seems to have caught you off guard. You probably did the right thing aside from letting him get close enough to hit you. As soon as you felt threatened maybe you should have put your stuff down. Running away wasn't an option with all that stuff,but you could have gone inside right?
I think once the guy hit me I would have dropped everything and defended myself all over him. At least you got out ok.

#131682 - 04/07/05 11:13 AM Re: Yet another situation
Anonymous
Unregistered

Mike,
Congratulations on not losing your composure. When I look back on similar situations I find myself saying " I should a, Would a, Could a"
It can make you a little nutty. I'm glad you were not badly injured.

#131683 - 04/08/05 02:55 AM Re: Yet another situation
Anonymous
Unregistered

The thing is, I have to carry a lot of bags a lot of the time. I'm an art college student, and I frequently have to drag big folders and stuff around. This encounter has made me slightly nervous about the whole thing. I'm starting to feel a bit defenseless when I have a lot to carry.

Maybe I should start training whilst holding folders and wearing a backpack :-p

#131684 - 04/08/05 03:40 AM Re: Yet another situation
Anonymous
Unregistered

Maybe I should start training whilst holding folders and wearing a backpack :-p[/QUOTE]

That might not be such a silly idea, if you expect to have to carry so much on a frequent basis. Perhaps you and a friend or training partner could work on effective deflections/offensive techniques that would be of use? Short of "seeking out a qualified instructor in your area", I can't suggest much else. I'm sure your M.A. will allow you to diversify and find a way to turn the tables. Good luck [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

[This message has been edited by PastTheWall (edited 04-08-2005).]

#131685 - 04/08/05 05:57 AM Re: Yet another situation
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've been studying seal lung kung fu for a while and I can't help wondering what the point is if fate keeps putting you in these situations where you can't use it anyway.

I could have done some sort of a stamping kick to the knee, but not an extravagent side kick because my backpacks and such would probably have unbalanced me.
[/QUOTE]

The point of studying MA is that IF we NEED to use it, we can. This entails situations where there is very little chance of escape unless we *create* an exit.

If you find yourself in a dangerous situation, (e.g. threatened by knife wielding attackers or multiple attackers who are intent on your injury/death) do NOT hesitate to literally throw everything you have in your arms at the attacker and drop any bag you are wearing, in order to escape.

In this situation, however, you did the best you could and you got out fine, so you must have done the right thing.

#131686 - 04/08/05 06:20 AM Re: Yet another situation
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hmm. I think, PastTheWall, I might just try that. I think I shall especially train with a backpack, because that kind of thing affects balance etc. I should try to get used to doing the kicks and such that I can do normally whilst wearing strange weights. Yeah, I think that makes sense.

#131687 - 04/08/05 08:11 AM Re: Yet another situation
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hmm. I think, PastTheWall, I might just try that. I think I shall especially train with a backpack, because that kind of thing affects balance etc. I should try to get used to doing the kicks and such that I can do normally whilst wearing strange weights. Yeah, I think that makes sense. [/QUOTE]

I hope it helps some. I think it would be of benefit to you to at least try it out - if only to buy you enough time to free yourself of the bags, like Leo said. If you had to engage someone in a fight I expect one of your first objectives would be to get that pack off your back so you could move freely.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, McSensei, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga