FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 167 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
MattJ 2
royal 2
Dobbersky 2
UKfightfreak 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#131370 - 03/07/05 02:19 PM Re: justified self defence?
Anonymous
Unregistered

johnl isnt stupid...kook ha initiated contact, thus is the attacker...if you ask me, he is lucky he isnt in jail right now...be gald the other guy didnt press charges

#131371 - 03/07/05 03:01 PM Re: justified self defence?
JohnL Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: NY, NY, USA
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Lethal Striker:
Possibly the stupidest thing I have ever read!

[This message has been edited by Lethal Striker (edited 03-07-2005).]
[/QUOTE]

Why?

JohnL

#131372 - 03/07/05 06:48 PM Re: justified self defence?
Anonymous
Unregistered

lethal is probably the martial artist that gives all the responsible ones bad names

#131373 - 03/08/05 01:45 AM Re: justified self defence?
Anonymous
Unregistered

First of all this topic was about self defence. Spare me your moral lecture. Getting drunk on a weekly basis is quite normal where I come from.

Teenagers are allowed to buy alcohol in grocery stores and supermarkets by age 15, and still many start even earlier, because a few years ago you could buy alcohol no matter your age.

To drink in a nightclub you have to be 18, but most teenagers start clubbing at age 16, some even younger at age 14-15.

Second of all, whether I was drunk enough actually has nothing to do with the whole self defence situation.

I only told you so you'd understand that my judgement was impared(spelling), but lets set up the situation again.

I open the door to get out from the toilet booth, and accidently open the door(hard) into some guy.
Being a nice guy and all, of course I apologize, also telling him that it was unintentional. Then he gets all up in my face, his chest actually pressing against mine, still walking forward putting more pressuse on me back towards the toilet. I press back, telling him to back of, he don't, I shove him and from here you know the rest.

#131374 - 03/08/05 09:08 AM Re: justified self defence?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Did you try to back off first?

In legal (not only moral) terms, in most countries, your intent must be to remove yourself from danger and you must show this intent. Otherwise it's called fighting, not self defense. Plain and simple.

Our morality doesn't concern this issue. It has no bearing on what sentence/charge you will get if you start a fight and get caught doing it.

You're also lucky that guy didn't get his mates to start something with you. I'm fairly sure being outnumbered and drunk is a bad, bad thing. I presume he doesn't know where you live either.

[This message has been edited by Leo_E_49 (edited 03-08-2005).]

#131375 - 03/08/05 11:07 AM Re: justified self defence?
JohnL Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: NY, NY, USA
Hi kook ha:

I replied to your original post and believe the thughts I gave were reasonable, however your subsequent post seems to require some comment;

"Spare me your moral lecture. Getting drunk on a weekly basis is quite normal where I come from."

If you choose to get drunk on a weekly basis that's none of my business, however it contributed to your course of action. As such you should look at how you got into the situation in the first place and if getting drunk is a part of it, maybe you shouldn't get drunk. That's not a moral lecture, only identifying a causation for the trouble and suggesting that you eliminate it.

"Teenagers are allowed to buy alcohol in grocery stores and supermarkets by age 15, and still many start even earlier, because a few years ago you could buy alcohol no matter your age."

So. There's a difference between being able to buy alcohol and going out, getting drunk and starting trouble.

"To drink in a nightclub you have to be 18, but most teenagers start clubbing at age 16, some even younger at age 14-15."

That doesn't mean that this won't cause associated problems.

"Second of all, whether I was drunk enough actually has nothing to do with the whole self defence situation."

Of course it does. Being drunk will impair your judgement making fights more likely to happen and will also affect your ability to function and therefore defend yourself. I see neither of these things as a positive.

" open the door to get out from the toilet booth, and accidently open the door(hard) into some guy.
Being a nice guy and all, of course I apologize, also telling him that it was unintentional. Then he gets all up in my face, his chest actually pressing against mine, still walking forward putting more pressuse on me back towards the toilet. I press back, telling him to back of, he don't, I shove him and from here you know the rest."

I stand by my earlier response. You seem to be wanting a warm and fuzzy response to tell you that you were justified. I'm not giving you that as I'm just not warm and fuzzy.

Basically, you were stupid, learn to live with it. Put it down to a learning experience.

It could have been worse;

1. As you were drunk, your ability to handle yourself was diminished and you could have been beaten to a pulp.

2. The guy that you initiated the problem with could have known how to handle himself and you could have been taken apart.

3. The guy might have had some freinds who saw you do this and taken it upon themselves to kick you into oblivion.

4. You could have been arrested by the police, had no defence and spent the next few years as a close confident of Bubba!

From your description of what happened I believe any of the above 4 points could have happened. You were lucky. Fine. But don't expect me to say you were in the right. You weren't.

JohnL

#131376 - 03/09/05 02:19 AM Re: justified self defence?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I don't mean to be rude, but you are addressing a lot of issues that I didn't really asked for.

I'm asking whether or not there were any real danger from this guy or not, instead you start lecturing about alcohol and public behaviour.

I was drunk and could have been beaten to a pulp. True, but had I been sober I could have been beaten up too.
You seem to focus alot on my being drunk.

What if I had told you this, story's still the same, just told differently:

I was at a bar, and in the toilet I accidently bump the toilet door into this drunk dude. Off course I apologize, but he walks right into me, asking me if a want a fight.

I push him off and tell him to stay away, then he rushes forward, telegraphing his right haymaker so I blast him with boxing blasts, and then knee him in the groin.

This was what happened. This is what you need to know.

JohnL if you seriously think I initiated the trouble then I say this to you... grow up. Bumping someone with a door, then apologizing can never be said to be initiating trouble.

Initiating trouble would be something like... say, walking into some guy who accidently bumped you with a door and apologizes, staying right up in his face, asking him whether he wants a fight, not being willing to accept an apology or back down, still asking if that person wants to fight.

You know what. Writing this, having to play the incident over and over in my head, I believe that I was justified. I bumped a door into a drunk and apologizes, but he won't accept the apology, asking if I have a problem with him, I explain to him that I don't, and that the door thing was an accident and he still wants to fight me. You know what, I'm actually glad I ripped that guys face right off. Maybe now he'll think twice before asking anybody if they want a fight.

And yes he might have had friends, but I was there with friends to, don't think I didn't give this any thought at all. Off course I did.

But you're 100% right about he might have been able to handle him self... that's exactly why I wouldn't let him back me up into the toilet booth. How the f*** do you defend yourself from a guy who is easily 6 inches taller, knows how to fight, while in a toilet booth. I pushed him back and asked him to stay away from me, he didn't, he felt the consequenses.

[This message has been edited by kook ha (edited 03-09-2005).]

#131377 - 03/09/05 04:09 PM Re: justified self defence?
Anonymous
Unregistered

kook ha

I don't believe it was self-defense, maybe you were justified, maybe you were not(He DID seen to be wanting a fight), but You did make an agressive movement the could have hurt him before he did(you "pushed him in the chest" instead of tryng to put some distance between you and him in a less agressive way.
About the fight itself, depending on your skills and knowledge in less violent submission techniques you could have tried to win the fight whithout hurting him(but you certainly shouldn't have tried if you don't have the training to do that), and it seens that kneeing against the wall was a bit excessive.

Hope I have been of help

#131378 - 03/09/05 08:21 PM Re: justified self defence?
Anonymous
Unregistered

First of all you were drunk so maybe your perception was change or off a bit.....

*Inuyasha*

#131379 - 03/10/05 07:52 AM Re: justified self defence?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I find this morally and lawfully objectionable.

#1 - You hit the guy first with a door.

#2 - The guy never laid a finger on you. You did all the hitting.

#3 - You chose to get drunk and get into this situation.

You are a jerk and you should have been arrested! > [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/frown.gif[/IMG]

This is NOT a case of defense. You were completely offensive. You an @$$hole. End of story.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, McSensei, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga