FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 42 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn
22904 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 14
cxt 7
trevek 6
JKogas 5
futsaowingchun 4
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Recent Posts
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
Today at 05:11 AM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 08:53 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
07/24/14 11:35 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Forum Stats
22904 Members
36 Forums
35564 Topics
432455 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#131360 - 03/04/05 05:48 AM justified self defence?
Anonymous
Unregistered

This happened to me a couple of weeks ago.

Me and a couple of my friends were pub crawling, and having a great time.

At some point I went to take a piss. The place is stinking, I slam the door open(i was drunk) and accidently hit some guy. He gets all pissed off, asking me if I got a problem with him and getting all up in my face.

In the beginning I just try to talk him down, apologising, but as he kept being aggressive I began getting a little nervous. Maybe I couldn't talk him down? He was very close to me, I couldn't see if he was picking a knife up from his pocket, and any suckerpunch would have made a sucker of me(get it) at this range. So I decide to shove him away with a hard push in the chest and tell him to stay away from me. This did not have the desired effect. He gets pissed off and comes towards me, with an awfully telegraphed haymaker. I punched him in the face with a jab followed by boxing blasts. He stumbles back into a wall then a knee'd him in the groin.

My question is, was my attack justified?
I feel I could have avoided the fight, but not without letting my self be exposed to a POTENTIAL attack. But maybe my shoving him was what started the whole physical thing?!?

#131361 - 03/04/05 06:19 AM Re: justified self defence?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Given that you were drunk, I think you did quite well in that situation. I'm glad that you (unlike most people) tried to talk the situation down. Also, sounds like the guy was looking for a fight anyway.

Also be assertive, apologise once and then ask him to please move. (If he just stands there, back off to where your friends are for a minute, he's not going to stand in the toilet doorway all night)

Perhaps slowly backing away out of the toilet and back to your seat for a while would have been possible. (Keeping your hands open in front of you)

In the case of avoiding the fight, just remember not to slam doors open when you are drunk. That would have avoided the whole thing.

Since I try to keep out of this situation, I don't really know the best response to take. Someone else is bound to correct me here if I'm wrong though.

#131362 - 03/04/05 06:44 AM Re: justified self defence?
JohnL Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: NY, NY, USA
Hi kook ha:

Let me understand;

You got drunk.

You hit a guy who was doing nothing to you with a door because you were not sober enough to open a door properly.

He gots upset (well there's a suprise) but doesn't throw anything.

You initiated the physical contact by shoving him hard in the chest.

When he decides to defend himself from your assault, you punch and kick him into submission.

And you ask, "Was it my fault?"

Of course it was you moron! With or without witnesses, you're lucky you haven't been arrested for assaulting this innocent bystander who was just standing there having a pee when some drunk came in and whaled on him.

Lessons to be learned;

Don't get drunk.

Don't start fights.

Grow up.

JohnL

#131363 - 03/04/05 09:44 AM Re: justified self defence?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Nice way of putting it.

kook ha, I didn't read the part about you shoving him earlier. Not a good idea at all, initiating physical contact is a *big* no-no.

[This message has been edited by Leo_E_49 (edited 03-04-2005).]

#131364 - 03/04/05 10:18 AM Re: justified self defence?
Anonymous
Unregistered

99% of all fights I've seen or been involved with were caused by too much alcohol. Either one drunk bumps another drunk or some drunk hits on another drunks girlfriend/wife.
Your fault my friend...don't get drunk and don't hang around drunks...have not been in a fight since I took that advice myself.

#131365 - 03/04/05 05:43 PM Re: justified self defence?
Anonymous
Unregistered

DON'T DRINK! Well maybe a little wine, a beer when your friends come over or a wine cooler if you're a WUSS.

FTR, I'm not trying to provoke you there, it's just that wine coolers have a stereo type of being a 'wussie drink'.

#131366 - 03/04/05 05:53 PM Re: justified self defence?
Anonymous
Unregistered

If your gonna drink then eat a lot of food so you won't get too drunk.A little rum will make you hardy though,but don't drink too much.The point is that he deserved it.Bunch of punks think that they have to be cool and tough all the time,it only shows how weak they are.The reason some people are like that is because they're really self concious and are scared about others thinking they're wimps.

P.S. Nextime break someones neck.

#131367 - 03/06/05 10:55 AM Re: justified self defence?
Anonymous
Unregistered

This is a very difficult situation - whether to risk not being able to see an attack, and it was good that you initially tried to talk yourself out of it. However, I think it might've been best to push him firmly whilst walking away at the same time.
Not shoving, but more like creating a distance between yourselves.
That way, if he did try to attack you, you might've been able to see the danger coming.
However, I didn't agree with you kneeing him against a wall, because it sounded like he was giving up if he allowed you to back him into a wall, so perhaps that bit was a little too far.
But then, you were drunk, so maybe you weren't in total control of your actions. But now you know if this happens again, just wait a little longer to make 100% sure it was going to result in an attack, instead of THINKING that it was going to be.

#131368 - 03/06/05 12:00 PM Re: justified self defence?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Seriously read this for an idea of what you really did: http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/fight_selfdefense.html

Then search for the legal issues regarding self defense in your country and state.

In fact, I reckon anyone with a "Was this self defense?" question should seriously consider reading that article.

[This message has been edited by Leo_E_49 (edited 03-06-2005).]

#131369 - 03/07/05 01:09 PM Re: justified self defence?
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JohnL:
Hi kook ha:

Let me understand;

You got drunk.

You hit a guy who was doing nothing to you with a door because you were not sober enough to open a door properly.

He gots upset (well there's a suprise) but doesn't throw anything.

You initiated the physical contact by shoving him hard in the chest.

When he decides to defend himself from your assault, you punch and kick him into submission.

And you ask, "Was it my fault?"

Of course it was you moron! With or without witnesses, you're lucky you haven't been arrested for assaulting this innocent bystander who was just standing there having a pee when some drunk came in and whaled on him.

Lessons to be learned;

Don't get drunk.

Don't start fights.

Grow up.

JohnL
[/QUOTE]

Possibly the stupidest thing I have ever read!

[This message has been edited by Lethal Striker (edited 03-07-2005).]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, McSensei, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga