FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 77 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jwwmantis 2
futsaowingchun 1
Zombie Zero 1
Beefcake 1
LeroyCFischer 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35591 Topics
432526 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#131138 - 12/29/04 12:01 AM Full twist punch
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am convinced that a 45 degree punch is the correct way to punch (bone/muscle alignment etc.) and that a full twist punch could injure your own self. Does anyone agree or disagree with this?

THE BROTHERHOOD OF ALL AMERICAN GOJU KARATE..

#131139 - 12/29/04 05:29 PM Re: Full twist punch
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've found horizontal punches are good circular movements, vertical I believe is most effiecent alignment. diagnol I believe are good for low straight strikes. Thats just how I use them though horizontal are natural with sidesteps such as a sidestep and hook. Vertical good for straight in attacks and counters.

#131140 - 03/29/05 06:19 PM Re: Full twist punch
Shadowfax Offline

Loc: Mason City, IA
with the 3/4 turn punch (what you called a 45 degree), your arm bones are parallel. With a full twist punch, your arm bones cross each other, weakening the structure. A good punch is 3/4 turn.

Keep in mind, though, that you should only use ANY punch when going for a soft target. It's not a good idea to punch someone in the forehead [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG]

#131141 - 03/30/05 12:25 AM Re: Full twist punch
Anonymous
Unregistered

Shadowfax. You are tracking!! Hit soft with hard/ hard with soft(palm heel/shuto).
How would you address a hook or uppercut in terms of proper alignment?
I don't think a vertical punch is right either,though some swear by it.Seems like it has you hitting the small knuckles too much. Too easy to hurt yourself that way.

#131142 - 03/31/05 03:23 AM Re: Full twist punch
Victor Smith Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Derry, NH
As for any punching technique being more dangerous to the puncher than the other, where's the proof?

Thousands of people are throwing every sort of punch daily. Thousands are striking makiwara, people, etc.

If there was any emperical proof a punch was dangerous we'd have people lined up in the hospitals from their errors.

The truth is there is only opinion on any style of punching and practice.

As for how a punch lands, all of them have various options.

For example when I strike with a vertical fist I'm only using the lead knuckles to strike, never the little one's. Other styles use all of them or land the little knuckles, or land the little ones and roll to the lead ones. And this doesn't begin to cover all the vertical punching options used by different styles. All of which have been done for decades.

Everyone will believe whatever the wish, but for proof, get the proof first, then make the argument.

Victor Smith
bushi no te isshinryu

#131143 - 03/31/05 03:43 AM Re: Full twist punch
Anonymous
Unregistered

Regarding small knuckle punch.

In seyunchin kata, right after first 3 movements in shiko-dachi, there is a technique executed with the small knuckles.
Although it holds the middle between a push and a punch, it is kind of a short range technique and is supported with the other hand. Has good value in clinching and pushing/pulling.

Never had injuries applying this technique.

#131144 - 03/31/05 11:41 AM Re: Full twist punch
Anonymous
Unregistered

It is said that the hand has ten weapns and only one is the fist.
There are various strikes with all types of uses.
I think for the straight punch the 3/4 turn is best for alignment.I can't prove it it's just my opinion based on my experience.
How many things in karate can you prove?
People will argue all day about the sidekick, bottom of the foot/heel/or blade.I know which works best for me ,but I can't prove it to someone who's been doing it different for years.
In the end it's best to use what works for you best.Hey if it works use it. I've tried the vertical punch and didn't like it.But I know people who swear by it.

#131145 - 04/01/05 06:43 AM Re: Full twist punch
Shadowfax Offline

Loc: Mason City, IA
[QUOTE]Originally posted by SANCHIN31:
Shadowfax. You are tracking!! [/QUOTE]

Actually, I just can't type. there was supposed to be a "NOT" in there instead of the "only." Sorry for the confusion. You are completely correct - what I meant was you should never use a fist to hit a hard target, because then you tend to hurt yourself.

Addressing a hook is the same for me - I don't twist the hand, but it's in the 3/4 alignment when it impacts.

Uppercuts aimed at the chin, I go at it with an open hand so I don't break my fingers on the jaw. Uppercuts aimed at the body - -honestly I rarely use 'em. If I'm close enough to land an effective uppercut under their solar plexus, I'm close enough to trap. . .

#131146 - 04/06/05 02:38 AM Re: Full twist punch
Anonymous
Unregistered

Has anyone ever seen a one inch break executed with a full twist punch?

#131147 - 04/06/05 06:37 AM Re: Full twist punch
Anonymous
Unregistered

can someone show me a picture of the strikes?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, McSensei, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga