FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 65 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
MattJ 2
royal 2
Dobbersky 2
cxt 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#130730 - 11/05/04 03:00 AM Re: Styles?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm trained in mexican wrestling (2 years), a bit of fencing (1 year) and a bit of Filipino arnis (6 months) currently I'm studying Changhon Taekwondo (5th month and 8th degree yellow belt). I really love the style that comes from specific divisions, like mexican, french, filipino, and Changhon. It is really good for self defense especially when you pick up a crowbar and use it with your arnis skills. by the way, armed_man_piker, are you a Filipino? if you are: kamusta ka na? pinoy rin ako!

[This message has been edited by dane (edited 11-05-2004).]

#130731 - 11/05/04 03:56 PM Re: Styles?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've seen the term "8th degree yellow belt" a few times. What is this?

#130732 - 11/05/04 06:28 PM Re: Styles?
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dereck:
I've seen the term "8th degree yellow belt" a few times. What is this?[/QUOTE]

IN TKD THERE IS A GRADING SYSTEM, YOU START AT 9 OR 10 WHITE BELT (IT DEPENDS) AND WHEN YOU GET PROMOTED UNTIL YOU ARE FIRST DEGREE GUP (SPELLING?) THEN YOU ARE PROMOTED TO 1ST DEGREE DAN (BLACK BELT) THE HIGHEST DAN IS 10TH DEGREE. I'VE STILL GOT A LONG WAY TO GO, YOU KNOW THAT. BUT HERE IN THE PHIL YOU CAN BE A 1ST DEGREE BLACK BELT IN 6 YEARS WHEN YOU DO GOOD, BUT THERE'S NO SKIPPING, I THINK THE PTA MODIFIED THE BELT SYSTEM.

#130733 - 11/07/04 07:25 PM Re: Styles?
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dane:
by the way, armed_man_piker, are you a Filipino? if you are: kamusta ka na? pinoy rin ako![/QUOTE]

Dane,

No, I'm not Filipino, so if you could translate the above for me, that would be great! [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

For what it's worth, I'm half Italian and half Scot-Irish.

Concerning my Italian side, you might find the following bit interesting--just as there were Filipinos who fought for the Spanish (eg., the Pampangans, etc), there were also Italians who fought for the Spanish. During the 16th century, when the Spanish first made inroads in the Philippine Islands, they were also busy fighting over much of Europe. Naples and Sicily were under longtime Spanish control, and were actually referred to collectively as "The Kingdom of the Two Sicilies". Milan was also ruled by the Spanish at that time. In the Spanish Army of Flanders (which was the best army in Europe in the late 16th century), there were actually more Italian troops than Spanish.

Peace,

A_M_P

#130734 - 11/08/04 08:16 AM Re: Styles?
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dane:
IN TKD THERE IS A GRADING SYSTEM, YOU START AT 9 OR 10 WHITE BELT (IT DEPENDS) AND WHEN YOU GET PROMOTED UNTIL YOU ARE FIRST DEGREE GUP (SPELLING?) THEN YOU ARE PROMOTED TO 1ST DEGREE DAN (BLACK BELT) THE HIGHEST DAN IS 10TH DEGREE. I'VE STILL GOT A LONG WAY TO GO, YOU KNOW THAT. BUT HERE IN THE PHIL YOU CAN BE A 1ST DEGREE BLACK BELT IN 6 YEARS WHEN YOU DO GOOD, BUT THERE'S NO SKIPPING, I THINK THE PTA MODIFIED THE BELT SYSTEM.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for clearing this up. I was aware of the gup system but never heard it refered to as a 8th degree yellow belt.

#130735 - 11/08/04 02:50 PM Re: Styles?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Shootfighting. Which is a hybrid between muay thai and bjj.

#130736 - 11/09/04 06:34 PM Re: Styles?
Anonymous
Unregistered

the belt rankings of taekwondo that you have stated up there is not exactly clear for me to understand. I have been doing hapkido and taekwondo for the past practically 8 years of my life (i am 12 but very expierenced, plz dont comment about how 'young and stupid' i am) u have about 14 belt to go before you take your first black belt test, then u have 5 tests to take every degree before you get your next degree, "first degree yelow tip, green, blue, red, 2nd degre...)' Im currently a red tip, "next test ill be a 2nd degree if i pass" but ill enjoy to keep on reading this forum.

yours..lavy

#130737 - 11/10/04 09:30 AM Re: Styles?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm not sure if I am understanding your question. In WTF Taekwondo(and possible ITF), you are a gup. You start at as 9th gup which is a white belt and work your way down until you are a 1st gup which is a red belt with a black stripe. I am currently a 3rd gup (blue belt with red stripe). Then you test to become a dan (black belt). Dane's expression of a 8th degree yellow belt is incorrect. As with a black belt (dan) you can earn further degrees. There is no 8th degree yellow belt, there is only 1 yellow belt and you are a 8th gup. It takes a minimum of 6 months from 1st gup to black belt. To become a second dan it could be year or more depending on time and skills learned. From there on I don't know how much time must be put in but I do know there is a lot to learn. In our WTF organization I am only aware of one test that has to be taken for at least 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th dan. More is required at these tests of course as you grow as you are to know more. Hope this makes sense. Somebody can correct me if I missed something.

#130738 - 11/11/04 03:48 PM Re: Styles?
Anonymous
Unregistered

i have been a first degree bb for about 2-3 years i would say, soon im getting my 2nd degree bb,

#130739 - 01/02/05 06:20 AM Re: Styles?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Im doing seal lung kung fu and finding it good
the main thing i wish to train on is adapting to my opponents moves so being free of a strict style if i understand the principles of the techniques i am being taught and learn to use them in whatever the situation this will make me a better Martial Artist

My favoroute quote is (im not sure if these are exact words but very similar) "if u graze my skin i shall pierce ure flesh, if u pierce my flesh i shall break ure bones ,if u break my bones i will take ure life" Bruce Lee. Tao of JKD

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, McSensei, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga