FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 35 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 3
Ronin1966 3
AndyLA 1
Victor Smith 1
GojuRyuboy13 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
10/22/14 07:20 AM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35582 Topics
432510 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#130720 - 10/09/04 02:59 PM Re: Styles?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I study combat hapkido, studied aikido in college and am a graduate of the police academy in texas. I did take ishinryu karate as a kid but did not get much out of it. (was a black belt factory)
I would agree that aikido and hapkido are very similar in that they do start with redirecting attackers force but they are like night and day in the same place for other things

#130721 - 10/11/04 09:49 AM Re: Styles?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am Hapkido, Taekwondo, Golden Dragon KungFu are my core arts, and have studied & dabbled in many styles of combat arts, Shito-Ryu, Aido, Kabudo, Boxing, KickBoxing, Kuntao, Silat, Kali, Progressive Defense System, Copkido, Wrestling, Akijutsu, Jujitsu, Aikido, Taichi, StreetFighting, Ultimate Fighting in Canada, XtremeGrappling, Zen and meditation. So many arts but just remember the better most conditioned man/woman will win regardless of style. I love all arts and I leave you with this... Train Hard !!

One of my Favorite Quote's, I forget the navy seals name...The more you sweat the less you Bleed in Combat.

#130722 - 10/29/04 08:50 PM Re: Styles?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Western fencing, French school (escrime)--mostly foil, but some saber too.

Filipino stickfighting and knife fighting (eskrima)--Inosanto Blend.

Brazilian jiu-jitsu.

Favorite Quotes:

"War is work."--Ancient Spartan motto

"What hurts, teaches."--proverb of the Marxbruder (The Brotherhood of Saint Mark, a Renaissance-era German fencing guild)

"There is no fight perfect without both cut and thrust."--George Silver, from his Paradoxes of Defence, 1599

"The deficiency of strength may be greatly supplied by Art; but the want of Art will have but heavy succour from strength."--Captain John Godfrey, English swordsman, singlestick player, & bare-knuckle pugilist, 1747

"Bahala Na!" ("Come what may!")--WWII-era Filipino motto, embraced by Grandmaster Leo Giron, of Giron Arnis Escrima

#130723 - 11/01/04 05:46 PM Re: Styles?
Anonymous
Unregistered

ihave studied chun kuk do for 2 years going on three(testing for green belt in a few weeks, wish me luck!) and i have also studied american freestlye, and american karatedo.

#130724 - 11/01/04 08:11 PM Re: Styles?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm learning/have learned: boxing, kickboxing, shorin ryu karate, kenpo, and muay thai.

I use a lot of JKD principles in my training, and plan on doing the UFC in about a year.

#130725 - 11/01/04 09:05 PM Re: Styles?
Victor Smith Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Derry, NH
Steve,

It would be interesting in describing how much of those arts you studied, how long and where. You've certainly had an unusual mixture of training.

For example where did you acquire the JKD principles you utilize?

Thanks,
Victor Smith
bushi no te isshinryu

#130726 - 11/03/04 08:04 PM Re: Styles?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Oh right, well the gym i learn at teaches kenpo, boxing, muay thai, and kickboxing, and the whole place uses JKD prinicples in just about everything we do. It's completely non-traditional, except the kali classes, those use traditional stuff still. I went to some dojo at a YMCA to learn shorin, did that for a few months and decided it wasn't for me, though i did learn some things, got to orange belt. Trained hard in karate though, felt like i didn't get much out of it. I've been doing boxing, kenpo, muay thai, and kickboxing for a year and 2 months now, and i'm doing the golden gloves this upcoming spring. hope i win, that'd be awesome, first timer winning, but i'm not expecting it. And then i just learned stuff by getting in street fights, little concepts and ways going about a fight and i picked up most of my timing in real fights cause whatever the other dude did made an adrenalin rush and kind of forced it into me. I still want to learn capoeria, wing chun, chin na, brazilian jiu jitsu, and wrestling.

#130727 - 11/03/04 08:27 PM Re: Styles?
Victor Smith Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Derry, NH
Thanks Steve,

Interesting the mixture of so many styles at the same time. I know indiviuals who've trained deeply in all of them, but not at the same time. Even knew a one time student of Bruce Lee back in 1967, he was a graduate student in Speech at Temple U., coming from Seattle where he trained with Mr. Lee.

Unfortunately I can't say what you're studying is non-traditional as everything isn non-traditional. For example there is nobody studying karate as karate was studied 100 years ago. A simple proof is if sparring is included in the training, 100 years ago nobody studying karate sparred. They may have fought, but not sparred.

And many, many systems are mixtures of training. The issue with mixtures, whatever you study there is just as much that can't be studied.

For example the Isshinryu I train in came from a mixture of Kyan ShorinRyu, Miyagi Goju-ryu, Motobu Nihanchi and the founders own research. But at the same time the mixture that became Isshinryu isn't the original arts either.

I can accept arts borning new? But regardless of the sources, why do you think you're still referencing those source arts?

In Isshirnyu we just do Isshinryu and somewhere along the line, the historical sources are mentioned, but we don't claim to be Goju for example, just Isshin.

Is your instructor just using pieces of those arts, or are you getting the entire art mixed with other entire arts?

I'm always curious how systems evolve, are created and are being taught?

Thanks for sharing,

Victor Smith
bushi no te isshinryu

#130728 - 11/03/04 09:18 PM Re: Styles?
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by WhyCantIbeSteve:
Oh right, well the gym i learn at teaches kenpo, boxing, muay thai, and kickboxing, and the whole place uses JKD prinicples in just about everything we do. It's completely non-traditional, except the kali classes, those use traditional stuff still. I went to some dojo at a YMCA to learn shorin, did that for a few months and decided it wasn't for me, though i did learn some things, got to orange belt. Trained hard in karate though, felt like i didn't get much out of it. I've been doing boxing, kenpo, muay thai, and kickboxing for a year and 2 months now, and i'm doing the golden gloves this upcoming spring. hope i win, that'd be awesome, first timer winning, but i'm not expecting it. And then i just learned stuff by getting in street fights, little concepts and ways going about a fight and i picked up most of my timing in real fights cause whatever the other dude did made an adrenalin rush and kind of forced it into me. I still want to learn capoeria, wing chun, chin na, brazilian jiu jitsu, and wrestling.[/QUOTE]

WhyCantIbeSteve,
Thank you for posting your story. Sorry about my less than gracious welcome, you caught me on a difficult day in a particularly teste mood. Keep learning.

oldman

#130729 - 11/04/04 02:43 PM Re: Styles?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks oldman, and Victor, the way we teach is in separate classes. I'll break down the schedule a bit. On Monday's there's boxing and kickboxing, on Tuesday's there's two Kenpo classes, on Wednesday it's boxing and sparring, on Thursday it's Kali and kenpo (i don't know where they movied the bjj class, or if its' still there), Friday is the owner's day off, and Saturday is Sparring for most the day. And in every class we use JKD principles, but not in the sense where it's like we say it. Nobody goes "And this is how Bruce would've done it" per se. It's just the way it's taught is that we keep an open mind during training, i guess is a good way to explain it, although rather vague. We break down fighting into 5 ranges, and there's different sectors of the body. The ranges are: outside, middle, inside, trapping, and ground. The classes are only an hour long each, and we get one private lesson a week, it all costs 90 dollars per month. I wanna say most of it is self-training, not learning the techniques, but practicing them. Like we have 6 heavy bags set up, 2 speed bags, no weights, it's a small place. I only call it a gym because it's not a dojo, the technical term is "non-traditional karate studio". Which is too long for me....much like this post, which i'm sorry for. Anyways, to directly answer your question Victor, we teach the whole of the arts in separate classes.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, McSensei, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga