FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 42 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn
22904 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 14
cxt 7
trevek 6
JKogas 5
futsaowingchun 3
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Throwing
by
04/23/05 10:58 PM
Recent Posts
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/29/14 05:11 AM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:53 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
07/24/14 11:35 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
Forum Stats
22904 Members
36 Forums
35564 Topics
432455 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#130568 - 06/19/04 02:31 PM i suck at fightin
Anonymous
Unregistered

It was yesterday that this guy started pushing me and then i pushed him 4 feet back, and my heart was pumping fast, and i have some major headache problems once in a while and the next thing i know, he charged me and i fell on my knees. My head was below and between his legs and his left hand was on my back, holding me down so i couldn't get up. I attempt to get up but finally got up after receiving 3 punches on the back. Then security came. Can someone give me some advice? [ ps. after i pushed him back 4 feet, i started having headache and started getting dizzy ]

#130569 - 06/19/04 03:22 PM Re: i suck at fightin
Victor Smith Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Derry, NH
Hi,

First off it sounds as if you my have suffered a stress reaction. Very importatant, You should seek competent medical advice as to your physical condition.

Stress is real and its effects are physiological. I'm not an expert but it certainly sounds like you were experiencing a physical response from the stress of your situation, and those physical effects can be incapacating.

Not knowing how of if you've been trained it is possible you're response while driving them back may have more than infurated your attacker, too.

There is no one set answer when somebody gets in your face. Learning to side step them, or laughing your head off at their effort to get inside their head are as strong a response as taking them appart and may require far greater skill than punching.

You always could have asked them to just stop . But realistically one can't answer what one does not observe.

So try and understand medically why you responded by collapsing. And if you really fear this will occur again, seeking competent training may help you respond more effectively.

By competent training it may be anything that keeps your body and sole together. Not just armchair heroics of your best blasting technique.

You have some chance to make your own good luck as you survived this instance. Chose how to prepare better in other circumstances.

Victor Smith
bushi no te isshinryu

#130570 - 06/21/04 04:02 PM Re: i suck at fightin
schanne Offline
breaks things

Loc: Woodbury NJ
Remember the HBO movie "Sopranos" Every time Tony had a black out the doctor would try and analyze his rooted problems. It could be a lot of different thing from high blood pressure to the stress thing. (My best Soprano voice)You could see a doctor and get one of those there stress test.. ahhy you listen'n ta me!

Forgot something, Just because you got all worked up and your andrenaline went crazy it doesn't mean"you suck at fighting" That something you get use to over time. If you have been training for a number of years and someone did that to you and you said "you suck at fighting" well then maybe you do but it sounds like your young and a newbie. Do you belong to a Dojo and if so how old are you????

[This message has been edited by schanne (edited 06-21-2004).]

#130571 - 06/21/04 10:59 PM Re: i suck at fightin
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yes i did feel high blood pressure, and incresed heart beat rate. No, i do not take any type of martial arts. If i want to go to the doctor and take one of those stress test thing, what am i suppose to say to the doctor?

#130572 - 06/22/04 05:10 AM Re: i suck at fightin
Victor Smith Offline
Professional Poster

Hi, Seeing a doctor should be the same as anytime you think there may be a physical problem.

To see a doctor, simply describe the situation, what you experienced and ask his evaluation whether it was a reasonable physiological stress response for you.

He will determine whether you need testing or further treatment.

As for 'fighting', regardless of the quick talk these lists generate, martial training ought not be about fighting, rather how to prepare to aviod having to fight, and if that fails then technique and training how to end a fight rationally and quickly.

Only you can determine if martial training is appropriate for you, though I think you've provided an example where it wouldn't have hurt.

Victor Smith
bushi no te isshinryu

#130573 - 06/22/04 02:35 PM Re: i suck at fightin
schanne Offline
breaks things

Loc: Woodbury NJ
[QUOTE]Originally posted by lilguyboi03:
Yes i did feel high blood pressure, and incresed heart beat rate. No, i do not take any type of martial arts. If i want to go to the doctor and take one of those stress test thing, what am i suppose to say to the doctor?[/QUOTE]

Aaahhh, how about the truth, except for the fighting part. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

#130574 - 06/22/04 07:46 PM Re: i suck at fightin
Anonymous
Unregistered

what truth... ? o_0

#130575 - 06/22/04 09:23 PM Re: i suck at fightin
Victor Smith Offline
Professional Poster

In the interest of fairness lets stop further discussion. The thread originator isn't a practicing martial artist, and further word games won't add further value to his experience.

Pleasantly,

Victor Smith

#130576 - 07/02/04 02:57 PM Re: i suck at fightin
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sounds like your adrenaline got the best of you.
Always stay calm in a fight, dont get angry even if you are struck. I was taught that the moment you loose your cool in a fight, is the moment you have lost that fight.

#130577 - 07/05/04 04:37 AM Re: i suck at fightin
Anonymous
Unregistered

to dude

just imagine that that the scum bag is going to
stab your mom shoot your dad and rape your sister you will be plenty pissed and your surival insticts will take over and over ride your emotions ,, The primititive part of your brain will over power if you still have trouble ,,aside form a doc get into meditation and when you get used to it start
replaying the vision in your head of the attacker and then if you feel your blood rush then relax and eventually you will be able to stay relaxed in those situations
buy the bsmall red book on bruce lees 1 and 3 inch punch there is an excellent chapter like 3pgs long
on how to program your brain to relax your
mind and body when you say the word relax
it works i promise it. I use it my self

good luck

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, McSensei, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga