FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 42 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
MattJ 2
royal 2
Dobbersky 2
TooNice 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#130288 - 11/07/01 07:03 PM A lesson from the Power Rangers
DamaiBushi Offline
Stranger

Loc: Fairborn, Ohio, USA
Kanichiwa all. Before I begin my short-story, I'd like to begin off with saying I'm freshly new here. I first noticed this site when my Sensei gave the class a print out of a article he wrote for his site. Anyway, here I am.
Now with my story.

Second grade brawls. We all remember our little play ground fights with small fists flying onto pudgy little faces and rowling around in the dirt on the field. In my case, it was a little different. It was recess. The spring time. It was a little cool outside. I was in the second grade, and I was about 8 or 9 years old. Me and one of my friends got into a little nit-pick that made us cross our arms and turn into our own directions. Evidently he told his friends about it. His friends- turning on me. I was only 4 feet tall at the time, and weighed no more than 45 lbs. I was one tiny second grader. His friends walk up to me all mean and tough looking, and them big mouthing that they're going to kick my butt for hurting Toney's feelings. I decided to play tough back and asked them "what are you going to do about it?" I clearly found out the answer soon enough. Before I knew it I had 3 boys chassing me across the field, onto the black top, and cornered at the trailer on the school back- parking lot. I remember a few hard hits to the stomach, and me effortlessly trying to deffend myself. I only remember one hit to the face but it left me with a bloody lip. I was able to squeeze myself away from them and run halfway across the parking lot before I was grabbed under the arms and held into a nice tight-hold. I had no way to my knowledge how to escape(but now I know how I could've gotten out of it. One of the boys named Joe stood infront of me, while his other friend kept me in that tight hold with my arms down going numb. Joe ran at me, with a fist balled in his hands, ready to punch me in the stomach. Mighty Morphin Power Rangers came to mind. My favorite show in the universe. I decided I wasn't going to let this "puddy" take me down. As Joe ran at me, I sprang up, bent my knee's, droped back a bit onto the boy holding me, and kicked Joe in the groin hard enough to drop him. Talk about your lesson for the day. To me, that was self deffense. I had called for help a few times but the play-ground aids were across the school yard watching the boys play soccer. But how lovely it was to FINALLY notice me and those two boys fighting eachother. That was self-deffense. I could've sworn those boys mothers never taught them to NEVER hit a girl! Oh well, when a boy hits a girl, there's serious pay-back. I got into more trouble than those two did. But there was no principal calling home or anything like that. Just me and the hench-man of those boys talking with the teacher. We made our truce, and promised to never fight again...
**************AUTHORS NOTE******************
Well, that's my true life story from second grade. Anyways, I'm 14 years old now, in the 8th grade. My name's Ashley. I'm 14 years old, and yes I'm a female. That's not the only time I was caught in the line of fire. During my primary years of school I got into alot of fist-swinging fights. But of coarse, I never started it. I was never a bad kid, and no, I never fought out of anger. Just out of self defense. Sometimes I think I watched TOO MUCH Power Rangers, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Tutrles, and Dragon Ball/Z. But one of those shows came in handy in second grade!
Me and all those boys are "friends" now. We're kind of like rivals, but we don't go around hitting eachother. They just like trading insults with me, so I just tend to roll my eyes at them.
I'm a amateure at Matsumura Seito Shorin Ryu; best commonly known as Sholin. I'm a white belt, and I'm loving it. I want to thank my Sensei for being such a great instructor.

#130289 - 11/15/01 08:49 PM Re: A lesson from the Power Rangers
Victor Smith Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Derry, NH
Thank you for your story.

Power Rangers were a very powerful force.

My own son was running through the house years ago playing Power Rangers with his younger sister when he slipped, fell and broke his arm. A good break both bones.

So an interesting night at the hospital and a cast for several months. Which when it came off and he slipped and broke the arm again was a call for a second cast.

Such are my own Power Ranger Stories.

Thanks,
Victor Smithh

#130290 - 06/20/02 11:04 AM Re: A lesson from the Power Rangers
Jeniko Offline

Loc: England
Just found this place, very nice place too... im 17 at the moment and learning Kung Fu and enjoying it alot, a few years before that during the time i was at school i was learning Karate but for some reason gave it up at Purple belt which i much regret.
Anyway, heres my story.

At school, i was never the cool one, i was a quiet person and never told anyone that i had been doing Karate for some time.
At the end of one day whilst i walking to the bikesheds too get my bike too go home, this ignorant lad called 'Danny Harper' who didn't like me was kicking my bag, i carried on walking thinking maybe he'd tire of it, but he continued too do so, so i turned around, took my bag and coat off ready to defend myself, but then thought too myself " what am i doing? " so i calmly picked my bag and coat back up and continued too walk, but Danny then continued too kick my bag, then he kicked me in the back so i dropped my bag, turned around ready too defend myself, by that time there was a little croud around me and danny expecting too see him kick my ass, he then moved in for a punch in the face which i blocked, then i retaliated with a side kick too the stomach pushing him backwards and leaning over slightly due too the pain, i then went too punch him in the face but he moved his head, then i heard him say " ha! missed! " at that time, out of no where i turned my fist around and snapped my the back of my fist into his temple which hit him hard enough too confuse him, then he put his hand over his temple and crouched on the floor in defeat whilst all his friends saying " COME ON DANNY! JOES A PUSSY!!! " so too me i thought i'd denfended myself and the thret was over, so i calmly picked my bag back up and walked off too get my bike and go home, as i was taking my bike someone came up behind me and told me the teacher wanted too see me, turns out we both got put in detention, ever since then Danny was fine too me.

So that was my little story, PowerRangers being the influance too make me start Karate.

Jeniko

#130291 - 06/20/02 11:14 AM Re: A lesson from the Power Rangers
Jeniko Offline

Loc: England
Just found this place, very nice place too... im 17 at the moment and learning Kung Fu and enjoying it alot, a few years before that during the time i was at school i was learning Karate but for some reason gave it up at Purple belt which i much regret.
Anyway, heres my story.

At school, i was never the cool one, i was a quiet person and never told anyone that i had been doing Karate for some time.
At the end of one day whilst i walking to the bikesheds too get my bike too go home, this ignorant lad called 'Danny Harper' who didn't like me was kicking my bag, i carried on walking thinking maybe he'd tire of it, but he continued too do so, so i turned around, took my bag and coat off ready to defend myself, but then thought too myself " what am i doing? " so i calmly picked my bag and coat back up and continued too walk, but Danny then continued too kick my bag, then he kicked me in the back so i dropped my bag, turned around ready too defend myself, by that time there was a little croud around me and danny expecting too see him kick my ass, he then moved in for a punch in the face which i blocked, then i retaliated with a side kick too the stomach pushing him backwards and leaning over slightly due too the pain, i then went too punch him in the face but he moved his head, then i heard him say " ha! missed! " at that time, out of no where i turned my fist around and snapped my the back of my fist into his temple which hit him hard enough too confuse him, then he put his hand over his temple and crouched on the floor in defeat whilst all his friends saying " COME ON DANNY! JOES A PUSSY!!! " so too me i thought i'd denfended myself and the thret was over, so i calmly picked my bag back up and walked off too get my bike and go home, as i was taking my bike someone came up behind me and told me the teacher wanted too see me, turns out we both got put in detention, ever since then Danny was fine too me.

So that was my little story, PowerRangers being the influance too make me start Karate.

Jeniko

#130292 - 03/28/03 10:20 AM Re: A lesson from the Power Rangers
Shadow Warrior Girl Offline
Stranger

``` [QUOTE]Originally posted by DamaiBushi:
Kanichiwa all. Before I begin my short-story, I'd like to begin off with saying I'm freshly new here. I first noticed this site when my Sensei gave the class a print out of a article he wrote for his site. Anyway, here I am.
Now with my story.

Second grade brawls. We all remember our little play ground fights with small fists flying onto pudgy little faces and rowling around in the dirt on the field. In my case, it was a little different. It was recess. The spring time. It was a little cool outside. I was in the second grade, and I was about 8 or 9 years old. Me and one of my friends got into a little nit-pick that made us cross our arms and turn into our own directions. Evidently he told his friends about it. His friends- turning on me. I was only 4 feet tall at the time, and weighed no more than 45 lbs. I was one tiny second grader. His friends walk up to me all mean and tough looking, and them big mouthing that they're going to kick my butt for hurting Toney's feelings. I decided to play tough back and asked them "what are you going to do about it?" I clearly found out the answer soon enough. Before I knew it I had 3 boys chassing me across the field, onto the black top, and cornered at the trailer on the school back- parking lot. I remember a few hard hits to the stomach, and me effortlessly trying to deffend myself. I only remember one hit to the face but it left me with a bloody lip. I was able to squeeze myself away from them and run halfway across the parking lot before I was grabbed under the arms and held into a nice tight-hold. I had no way to my knowledge how to escape(but now I know how I could've gotten out of it. One of the boys named Joe stood infront of me, while his other friend kept me in that tight hold with my arms down going numb. Joe ran at me, with a fist balled in his hands, ready to punch me in the stomach. Mighty Morphin Power Rangers came to mind. My favorite show in the universe. I decided I wasn't going to let this "puddy" take me down. As Joe ran at me, I sprang up, bent my knee's, droped back a bit onto the boy holding me, and kicked Joe in the groin hard enough to drop him. Talk about your lesson for the day. To me, that was self deffense. I had called for help a few times but the play-ground aids were across the school yard watching the boys play soccer. But how lovely it was to FINALLY notice me and those two boys fighting eachother. That was self-deffense. I could've sworn those boys mothers never taught them to NEVER hit a girl! Oh well, when a boy hits a girl, there's serious pay-back. I got into more trouble than those two did. But there was no principal calling home or anything like that. Just me and the hench-man of those boys talking with the teacher. We made our truce, and promised to never fight again...
**************AUTHORS NOTE******************
Well, that's my true life story from second grade. Anyways, I'm 14 years old now, in the 8th grade. My name's Ashley. I'm 14 years old, and yes I'm a female. That's not the only time I was caught in the line of fire. During my primary years of school I got into alot of fist-swinging fights. But of coarse, I never started it. I was never a bad kid, and no, I never fought out of anger. Just out of self defense. Sometimes I think I watched TOO MUCH Power Rangers, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Tutrles, and Dragon Ball/Z. But one of those shows came in handy in second grade!
Me and all those boys are "friends" now. We're kind of like rivals, but we don't go around hitting eachother. They just like trading insults with me, so I just tend to roll my eyes at them.
I'm a amateure at Matsumura Seito Shorin Ryu; best commonly known as Sholin. I'm a white belt, and I'm loving it. I want to thank my Sensei for being such a great instructor.
[/QUOTE]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Hey Ashely. My name's Stephanie. I know how you feel when people pick fights with you. If I was you I would of done the same thing.Becides who want's to be held by some bullies. I take karate where I'm from and it's great. I love doing all the moves but not just to hurt but for selfdefence. Or when I like to fool around with some friends of mine. But I just do it lightly. Anyhow... I watch the samethings as you. Even Power Rangers that show is what got me into karate in the first place. They are so awesome. But I like the Pink ranger the most cause she looks cool and her wepons are the best.

#130293 - 04/03/03 10:14 PM Re: A lesson from the Power Rangers
NSDFRand Offline

Loc: cocoa,FL,USA
im fifteen in highschool and taking tae kwon do i used to when i was between 8 and 10 i quit at yellow which i regret but heres a story

my second year in eighth grade(failed) this kid and a bunch of his little friends try to pick on me (weird considering im 6' 3" 360 odd lbs) and this one kid pushed me from behind in the library and tryed to run away

i caught him and hit him when he ducked down and slammed his head into a window ripped off his necklace and made him cry

thats the reason i started taking up martial arts again because in all the fights i had been in i lost control some kind of reaction to adrenalyne and i sort of saw it all hazy and slow and didnt know what i was doing

moral of the story

japanese power rangers > american power rangers

#130294 - 05/24/03 12:05 PM Re: A lesson from the Power Rangers
Ender Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Burlington, Ontario, Canada
I was also very out of control in my younger years, and actually still hold a school record at my middle school for the most fights ever recorded by a single student in one year (37 fights in grade 7). I have now learned the control I always required. I have not been in a fight in well over 2 years, and though some have tried to make themselves look big by taking a swing at me, I always disperse of them without hurting them. Heres a little story of mine..

Awhile back a bunch of "thugs" (me being in highschool and all) wanted to look big by hitting me. One of them stepped up and threw a right hook at my face, unfortunately the kid couldn't punch his way out of a paper bag and was horribly slow. I executed a quick soto-uke (outside middle) block with my right arm, and then grabbed the arm with my left hand as it swang across, then, pulling him with my arm, I went to work with around a dozen strikes to his face and chest with my right arm. Only I never hit him. Every strike stopped about one inch from him, and on the last one I Kiai'd and I swear he nearly shat himself. After that, I was right in his face staring at him, and he just trembled, processing what had just happened. With that, I let go, stepped back, and continued on my way. These days when I walk through the hallway, people move out of the way just for me. Not out of fear, but out of respect, because I had the chance to brutally beat somone and chose not to.

#130295 - 06/21/03 10:58 PM Re: A lesson from the Power Rangers
Lothmir Offline

Like many of you, I'm in high school. I started Tae Kwon Do when I was about 9. The first year, was kind of a waste of time cause I didn't really have commited instructors. Later, I went and got some real training. Anywho, though I'll openly admit I was in martial arts and people always challenge me. I refuse to accept their challenges because I have more respect for myself than to bring myself to their level. Anywho, I've been one of the lucky ones who has never been in a real fight. I've come close many times in the last few years, but I guess my silent death stares scare them off. I don't know. Going on the whole power rangers theme. My friend, my brother, and I make up our own type of rangers. We were the weather rangers. I was wind, my brother tornado, and my friend thunder. All three of us started, not just because of Power Rangers, but so far, I'm the only one who has made it to black. :-D Sorry for the random ramblings of nothingness! Thanks for you time and your stories!

-Lothmir(Flower Jewel)

#130296 - 06/22/03 07:56 PM Re: A lesson from the Power Rangers
Karate Dude Offline

Loc: Knoxville tennessee u.s.a
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Lothmir:
Like many of you, I'm in high school. I started Tae Kwon Do when I was about 9. The first year, was kind of a waste of time cause I didn't really have commited instructors. Later, I went and got some real training. Anywho, though I'll openly admit I was in martial arts and people always challenge me. I refuse to accept their challenges because I have more respect for myself than to bring myself to their level. Anywho, I've been one of the lucky ones who has never been in a real fight. I've come close many times in the last few years, but I guess my silent death stares scare them off. I don't know. Going on the whole power rangers theme. My friend, my brother, and I make up our own type of rangers. We were the weather rangers. I was wind, my brother tornado, and my friend thunder. All three of us started, not just because of Power Rangers, but so far, I'm the only one who has made it to black. :-D Sorry for the random ramblings of nothingness! Thanks for you time and your stories!

-Lothmir(Flower Jewel)
[/QUOTE]Great post. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

#130297 - 07/25/03 11:48 AM Re: A lesson from the Power Rangers
MAGon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Miami, Fl.
Ashley: I loved your story!!! [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]
One reason I did is because I have a 7 yr. old little girl, who just started Hung Gar Kung Fu. Anyone that knows me has heard of my three wishes for her: That she grow up to be the first Ms. Universe with a Ph.D. in Astrophysics as well as Kickboxing Champion! [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]
But the neatest thing about it is that there are two big lessons in it, for senseis even, and you learned them by age 8-9:
Sweetie, you handled the situation better than some black belts I can think of, because you took care of the primary threat first by kicking the boy that was getting ready to punch you in the face and neutralizing him, instead of worrying about the one who was holding you. He wasn't an immediate threat, because his hands were busy holding on to you and, at that close a range, even if he'd thought of using his feet, he wouldn't have been able to hurt you as much as the boy to your front. Many martial artists would've gotten hung up on all the neat techniques they know about dealing with a grab from the rear and would've been distracted from the more dangerous attack from the front.
The other lesson is that you were smart enough to use a technique that you thought effective without worrying about where it came from. And yet many experienced martial artists refuse to even look at the techniques from other styles or martial arts, because they get into this mind set that their particular art has ALL the answers. And that's not so.
Congratulations on your quick thinking and openmindedness, and good luck in your Shorin Ryu. I think you'll be very good at it!

[This message has been edited by MAGon (edited 07-25-2003).]

[This message has been edited by MAGon (edited 07-25-2003).]

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, McSensei, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga