Straight from the Source
Speed-Switch Entertainment and Badmonkee Productions present a special event, “Straight from the Source” on Saturday, August 7th, 2004. Beginning at 10:00 am at the West-Wind Karate School located on 14th Street and Jefferson in Oakland, California, Speed-Switch and Badmonkee welcome Gat Puno (“Head Chief”) Abondio Baet, inheritor of the Garimot Arnis system and teacher of the Harimaw Buno. A few notables about Gat Puno Baet:
· Inheritor of the Garimot family style of Arnis, a complete art that is over 150 years old and has been in the Baet family for over five generations (www.garimot.com)
· From Laguna province in the Philippines, location of the famous “caves of death” and the original Doce Pares organization, of which Felicisimo Dizon was a member (Dizon was the teacher of the late Grandmaster Angel Cabales, founder of Eskrima Serrada)
· Started training at the age of seven
· Mastered not only Garimot Arnis, but also other systems in Laguna
· Teacher of the indigenous grappling art, Harimaw Buno (Tiger Style) of the Philippine Aborigines
· Started competing in unpadded, full-contact stick-fighting at the age of sixteen and held the undefeated stick fighting title from 1978-1985
· Founded the P.A.E.T.E Laguna Arnis Federation and Harimaw Buno Federation
· Extensive knowledge of the healing art of the Philippines known as “Hilot”
· Featured in The Philippine American Journal, Inside Kung Fu and The Karate Voice
There will also be a special guest appearance by the one and only Professor Sultan Uddin, PhD, the direct protégé of the late Grandmaster Angel Cabales. Professor Uddin was one of the youngest and the first African-American to become a Master under Angel’s system. Recognized worldwide as one of the fastest stick and blade fighters in world, Professor Uddin’s skills have been featured in film and television. He was inducted into The World Martial Arts Hall of Fame in March 2000 and currently is an Executive Producer and Promoter in the entertainment industry.
This four-hour event will consist of demonstrations of Eskrima Serrada, Garimot Arnis, and the Hilot. After the demonstrations, there will be a Garimot Arnis workshop for participants. A lecture on Philippine Martial Arts and History will be the last segment before lunch. After the lunch break, there will be an open Symposium for any and all questions regarding the material presented. Guests of the event are also invited to a special after-party at La’Zeez Restaurant in San Francisco presented exclusively by Badmonkee Productions.
If you are a student, teacher or enthusiast of any martial art, holistic healing or even Philippine Culture, this is a must-attend event for you! The material provided comes straight from the source. This is a rare West Coast appearance.
Payment postmarked on or before Saturday, July 24 will be discounted as follows:
Individual Participant Fee $125 per person
Group/School Discount (5 or more people) $100 per person
High School/College Students (with ID) $85 per person
Payment received after Saturday, July 24 is as follows:
Individual Participant Fee $150 per person
Group/School Discount (5 or more people) $125 per person
High School/College Students (with ID) $100 per person
Garimot members $100 per person
Spectator Fee $50 per person
On the day of the event, cash, cashier’s check or money order will be accepted. No personal checks will be accepted!
Tickets are on a first-come, first-serve basis and space is limited. To pre-pay, send cashier’s check or money order to:
PO Box 706
Daly City, CA 94017
For more information, e-mail “email@example.com” or call 510-520-1422.