FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 38 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
mohdnabeel, sunny, swordy, jerrybarry24, SenseiGregT
22915 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ed_Morris 4
AndyLA 3
futsaowingchun 2
Zombie Zero 2
Matakiant 2
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
mindfullness meditation
by
01/06/09 11:27 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Eugue Ryu
by
03/27/07 12:06 AM
Recent Posts
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
09/19/14 09:05 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Matakiant
09/18/14 07:11 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
09/18/14 06:07 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
09/16/14 04:43 PM
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/31/14 09:43 PM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Forum Stats
22915 Members
36 Forums
35575 Topics
432495 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Topic Options
#128900 - 03/24/03 08:03 PM Current Trends in MA Publishing
Victor Smith Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Derry, NH
Lately I'm wondering if there's anyting really new coming up.

I find Tuttle re-publishing older works (often now in Soft cover). YMAA is also re-issuing earlier works in new covers. A very large book on Hapikido published several years ago is being broken into a number of shorter books.

Has the martial arts publishing world reached its limit, that the publishers feel they already have enough material?

I continually check quite a number of different book stores, but thats what it seems like right now when I look.

Victor Smith
Bushi No Te Isshinryu

#128901 - 03/24/03 10:02 PM Re: Current Trends in MA Publishing
raccoon Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Victoria BC Canada
What material qualify as being MA books?

If it has to be the traditional oriental arts, it's possible that it's near its limit. You can't rewrite history. Eventually it has to come to saturation.

There are also some "new age" stuff, such as autobiographies or some M-artists' experiences in Japan etc. 'The white pyjamas', 'aikido: it's a lot like dancing' ... they aren't awfully new, but they aren't reprints from half a century ago either. Somehow I have an impression some people consider those material "new age crap", so I don't know if you will consider those MA books.

There are also subjects like MA, self defense and the law. Few has been written in the subject and I know some are on it's way. I am definitely looking forward to it.

And then there are the western stuff... can medievil fighting arts be considered budo as well? They also have their own code of warriors, I think it's very valid a form of MA. A medievil Italian Swordsmanship manuscript has been transtlated into modern english - the first attempt to translate this original script into any modern language, with lots of graphical illustration. I think it came out a year ago ... to me that's new. (I don't remember the exact title, I don't own it cos it's prohibitly expensive...)

But then a lot of old school people might reject that from the "Martial Arts" category, too. Sorry, I am still holding a grudge about the "new age crap" comments [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/tongue.gif[/IMG] I like to keep a healthy respect for the old traditions, but I think part of the lessons in budo training is to learn to adept, I wouldn't be so hasty to wave off everything new as "new age CRAP" that are not suitable subjects to be discussed on this board.

Sorry for ranting [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/tongue.gif[/IMG] I am sure I will get over it eventually.

-raccoon

[This message has been edited by raccoon (edited 03-24-2003).]

#128902 - 03/25/03 03:36 AM Re: Current Trends in MA Publishing
taebot Offline
Veteran

Loc: KANSAS
I find new stuff in the Asian Journal every quarter. I agree that bookwise, I've collected pretty much what is significant as far as the major texts.

The thingthat has impressed me the most is the blossoming of videos. Rediscovered videos, restored stuff, there are some very interesting things that way.

#128903 - 03/25/03 09:47 AM Re: Current Trends in MA Publishing
Victor Smith Offline
Professional Poster

Hi Guy's,

You know I never really understand why people don't use their real names. I never feel 'handles' facilitate good communcations, and I'm not shy about my own opinions either. But thats a personal divergance on the topic.

The 'White Pyjamas' book is actually over a year old, and is as valuable a guide to some aikido training as "Moving Zen' was several generations prevously about 1960's Japan Shotokan.

As for European Martial Traditions, I remain of mixed interest. Frankly they aren't where my head is at, but I don't discourage anybody for writing on their own interest.

My comment is really related to what I don't see being published the past 4 or 5 months. Sure there's likely a new Bruce Lee book (because people buy them), but I'm more intersted in serious karate topics for example.

And for video's, yes there are a lot. The worth of same is always a question.

Have you actually seen something new these past few months, or are they older re-isued works?

Wondering,

Victor Smith
Bushi No Te Isshinryu

#128904 - 03/26/03 04:50 AM Re: Current Trends in MA Publishing
taebot Offline
Veteran

If I may address the issue of not using a real name...

Been on discussion boards for a long time now, and while I enjoy them, I have come to apply the first rule of self-defense, be aware. As pointed out before, here on this board, this sort of discussion group IS going to draw some of the true nutballs in the world.

I have observed people tracking each other down using ISP's, hacks, and tidbits of personal information.

So, for me, it's a matter of safe cybering.

Also to a lesser degree, and as I've mentioned before, I am from a part of the US that gets patronized and overlooked. To mention my name, or the names of my teachers, will mean little or nothing to those on the coast with famous masters and pedigrees. I've never had the opportunity to shop for martial arts, but was rather limited by what was available and what I could get out of it by my own efforts and intuitions.

So I determined that who I was was unimportant compared to what I say because truth is not hidden in a name or style but in action and word and consistency of thought.

And on a third note:

Not one person has asked my name.

[Which goes to point #2...]

#128905 - 03/26/03 09:02 PM Re: Current Trends in MA Publishing
raccoon Offline
Enthusiast

Sensei Smith,

I use handle name just because it's a required field in the registration form. I can be boring and retype my name or I can be creative and make up something.

Besides, it's a lot easier for people from other boards I frequent to recognize a raccoon as opposed to a Cody. That's arguably a good thing.

As with why I don't use my real name... cos nobody ever bothered to ask, or express it's desired? If you feel more respectful this way, I am more than happy to sign off my posts (for you anyway) with my name.

Cody Chu

#128906 - 03/30/03 04:15 AM Re: Current Trends in MA Publishing
Victor Smith Offline
Professional Poster

Everyone has a different view of what the net offers and can take.

I just choose to be me, raw and simple as I am. And I'm not going to play with my name, its a small part of who I am.

You all make your own choices.

BTW, in my definition of the world I'm Victor to all. If you were my student I might accept Sensei, but you'd likely have to earn that right to use it.

Victor Smith
Bushi No Te Isshinryu

#128907 - 03/30/03 06:10 AM Re: Current Trends in MA Publishing
taebot Offline
Veteran

I'm a first-namer, too!

I even tell them that Sir is a polite way of tellng someone that they are too old to fight and I'm still able and willing to dispel that notion! [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG]

#128908 - 03/31/03 06:27 PM Re: Current Trends in MA Publishing
raccoon Offline
Enthusiast

Mr. Smith,

Sorry for using "sensei" w/o permission. When I call people sensei, my only intension is to acknowledge their status as an instructor in Japanese MA, and to show respects. When instructors from other styles visit my dojo, we are taught to stop whatever we are doing at once, stand up, cross our arms in front of the face and loudly say "osu sensei". I understand some people take it as a personal thing, and I respect that. If you don't find it disrespectful for a color rank to call you by your first name then I will call you Victor from now.

Osu.

-Cody

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga