FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 24 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn, Ron_Cooley, businns
22902 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 12
cxt 7
trevek 6
JKogas 5
futsaowingchun 4
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
Today at 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Recent Posts
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
Today at 10:15 AM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
Today at 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
Today at 08:53 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
07/24/14 11:35 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Forum Stats
22902 Members
36 Forums
35564 Topics
432453 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#127746 - 11/04/07 01:43 PM Re: Aikido vs AikiJutsu [Re: fileboy2002]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Quote:

News flash: the school matters--A LOT. If I want to learn practical self-defense, I am going to look into schools where they regularly train against actively resisitng opponents under realistic conditions.

Fixed that for you, bro.

#127747 - 11/04/07 06:03 PM Re: Aikido vs AikiJutsu [Re: fileboy2002]
eyrie Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: QLD, Australia
Quote:

TKD is an incomplete art.

Is it? Or did you just not learn the complete art? Or did you have a teacher that did not learn the complete art either?

Old style TKD (before it was reduced to a sport) isn't the same thing as its modern incarnation. For starters, the number of hand movements in the old hyungs far outnumbered kicks. And the kicks were never above waist level. I have an 1960 Edition of Choi Hong Hi's Complete TKD... in it there are seated (kneeling) techniques, grappling, weapon techs, SD techniques and pressure points... including the older Shotokan kata.

It's not the art's fault... it's what ignorance did to the art.

Still, I learned some important basic stuff like footwork, "block", punch/strike, and kick in TKD... but I left too because I saw the art for more than what it was. I just wasn't getting it from my instructor.

#127748 - 11/04/07 07:13 PM Re: Aikido vs AikiJutsu [Re: eyrie]
fileboy2002 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Chicago, IL
What I studied WAS "old style" ITF TKD--under han Cha Kyo, one of the art's founders. We had no torunament focus whatsoever. And it was still incomplete.

#127749 - 11/04/07 08:14 PM Re: Aikido vs AikiJutsu [Re: fileboy2002]
eyrie Offline
Professional Poster

Despite that, I still don't think the art itself is incomplete. Teachers can only convey a fraction of their knowledge. Hopefully, this will contain the basic foundational elements on which the art is based - philosophically, strategically and tactically.

I still believe it is up to the person to make it their art, and to attain the highest level that the art can offer. That's why it's called "art". Skill and mastery of one's craft is art.

I can see why you think it is incomplete from some perspective, but I would say that it is your knowledge that is incomplete. And yes, perhaps sometimes you need to go outside your art, and experience a different training paradigm in order to see what you are missing in your training. Rather than what is missing from the art.

I remember asking my teacher once, about something that was seemingly "missing" from our practice, and his response was "well, obviously... one must adapt to suit the situation"....

Still, it didn't take me 25 years to work out I needed to move on

#127750 - 11/05/07 11:21 AM Re: Aikido vs AikiJutsu [Re: eyrie]
fileboy2002 Offline
Enthusiast

Didn't take me 25 years either, thank goodness.

Let me define what I mean by "incomplete." No art can possibly include techniques or tactics to cover every concievable situation. Instead, different MA emphasize different aspects of self-defense. Boxing focuses on hand techniques, taekwondo on kicking, judo on wrestling, etc. Yes, they may make some attempt to cover everything, every art has a clear emphasis.

The problem I ultimately had with TKD was that it emphasized kicking--one of the least important aspects of self defense. Of course good kicking skills are great to have. But it is far more important to know how to box or wrestle.

#127751 - 11/05/07 03:30 PM Re: Aikido vs AikiJutsu [Re: fileboy2002]
cxt Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: USA

File

"its far more important to know how to box or wrestle"

In your opinion.

#127752 - 11/05/07 04:24 PM Re: Aikido vs AikiJutsu [Re: cxt]
Neko456 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Midwest City, Ok, USA
I believe in aplication there are boh the same only priciple are they separate. Some Aikido purest say they don't use strikes, whereas Aiki-Jujitsu readily apply them boh arts in application have no limits and are very old world Jujitsu like in brutallity and finality.

No doubt boxing and wrestling would help but these are control and knock down skills. The other two in application are vicious fighting arts.

Edited by Neko456 (11/05/07 04:35 PM)

#127753 - 11/05/07 06:50 PM Re: Aikido vs AikiJutsu [Re: fileboy2002]
eyrie Offline
Professional Poster

Quote:

... No art can possibly include techniques or tactics to cover every concievable situation. Instead, different MA emphasize different aspects of self-defense.... they may make some attempt to cover everything, every art has a clear emphasis.

I think you've hit the nail on the head... every art has a clear emphasis on an area of specialization that supposedly gives them a strategic and/or tactical advantage.

Quote:

The problem I ultimately had with TKD was that it emphasized kicking--one of the least important aspects of self defense. Of course good kicking skills are great to have. But it is far more important to know how to box or wrestle.

And the sole advantage of kicking is... range. The entire philosophy of TKD is based on the idea that kicking techniques give you a longer reach, and the ability to maintain combat distance. I still think its a case of not knowing what the art is designed for and the entire rationale of the art. That, and whether the art is suited for your body type and personal philosophy.

#127754 - 11/05/07 07:41 PM Re: Aikido vs AikiJutsu [Re: eyrie]
fileboy2002 Offline
Enthusiast

Eyrie,

I believe we are getting close to the same page here.

Taekwondo's emphasis on kicking is indeed premised on the idea of staying out of your opponent's range--and of course I know that .

However, there are, in my opinion, several problems with that strategy:

1) Many, if not most, fights erupt at close to @#$% close range to begin with.

2) Unless you strike with near-perfect timing and precision, your opponent will almost certainly close the range between you. While we all strive for perfection, we should not bet our lives on achieving it.

3) Wearing ordinary pants limits the legs' range of motion, limiting TKD fighters' use of their strongest weapon. I am actually surprised at how rarely this comes up on the board .

Just for the record, I have met some people for whom these problems matter not one bit. Some TKD fighters are just so wicked fast and accurate they would never need to do anything but kick. However, they are few and far between, and I ain't one of 'em .

#127755 - 11/05/07 07:56 PM Re: Aikido vs AikiJutsu [Re: fileboy2002]
eyrie Offline
Professional Poster

I feel ya bro...

And I agree with everything you've said... however, every strategy or tactic can be countered - provided one is able to seize the opportunity at the right time.

I can't remember if it was Rick Clark or Pat McCarthy who once told me - it's all about mastering your space and controlling the other person's space.

BTW, I've seen George Chung kick in jeans.... OK, granted his jeans had a diamond-shaped crutch piece to facilitate his signature high kick.... still impressive nonetheless.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga