FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 65 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 3
THEFOREVERMAN 3
MattJ 2
royal 2
UKfightfreak 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
Yesterday at 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
Yesterday at 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#127661 - 06/29/04 04:07 PM Re: Aikido circles?
reaperblack Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Victoria, BC, Canada
One of the easiest ways to explain circles in aikido is the ten kan, a circular step where your back leg is turned 180 degrees (this of course varies with the situation) to turn your body to face in the opposite direction. This is one of the basic circles of aikido. Others are found in the motions which your uke's limbs must travel for you to be performing the technique properly, and the idea of keeping your opponent rotating around your hara (center of mass).

#127662 - 06/30/04 12:02 AM Re: Aikido circles?
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by alfbury:
Hi Terry,
I am a little confused by your post but here goes an answer...I understand the eight directions. Simply if you can move in any direction with balance then you can "encourage" "uke" (your attacker) off balance. The circles come in at the same time and are everywhere, you make them with your hands, your arms, your hips and your feet dependant on the technique. For example..If someone thrusts at your stomach you could move to six of the eight directions (ie not straight forward or back). But then as well you can take the attack and lead it circuarly around you, like an equator around you at hip level. However if someone attacks you with an overhead chopping motion, you would also step out of the way but this time lead the attack circuarly from top to bottm. I hope that is two clear examples of circles being used in Aikido. I am not sure if that is the type of circles you are referring to but I hope it helps.
Stephen
PS the book "Aikido and the dynamic sphere" Is a great illustrated introduction to this idea of "cicles of neautralization."
[/QUOTE]Hello alf!----thanks for your very lucid post.I see now the appeal of aikido-to an even greater extent!I suspected as much that was in your post, but needed an Akido guy to properly validate my suspicions.So thanks for that!---terry p.s. Sorry guys that i am just now getting back here, I am a busy artist&Commercial Illustrator, plus I talk on the aol martial arts boards as well.Thanks for your replies.

#127663 - 06/30/04 12:06 AM Re: Aikido circles?
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by reaperblack:
One of the easiest ways to explain circles in aikido is the ten kan, a circular step where your back leg is turned 180 degrees (this of course varies with the situation) to turn your body to face in the opposite direction. This is one of the basic circles of aikido. Others are found in the motions which your uke's limbs must travel for you to be performing the technique properly, and the idea of keeping your opponent rotating around your hara (center of mass).[/QUOTE]Hello, and thanks reaper! Yes this makes sense(Your post.)To me, this is what makes Aikido so street effective---It automatically incorperates PHYSICS(science).This is a very powerful force to bring to bear on some poor soul!

[This message has been edited by TerryhLee (edited 06-30-2004).]

#127664 - 06/30/04 12:12 AM Re: Aikido circles?
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Joe Jutsu:
Hey TerryHLee-

Thanks for elaborating a bit more. What you have said about the eight directions seems sort of like common sense. In my understanding of Systema, they may talk along these lines a little more than MY aikido school does. Our emphasis is more on "ups" and "downs," when applied correctly (ie in harmony with uke, gravity, and to an esoteric extent the universe)produces many of our throws. But now that I think about your post a bit more, thinking of different techniques I definitely see what you are talking about exemplified through many of our techniques, particularly in atemi waza.

Joe
[/QUOTE]Hey Joe, yes science(Physics)--is common sense.I dont know what atemi waza is, ---but i am sure it is as you say.Alot of people dont realize how aikido(If the practicioner WISHED...)-----Could do some very serious damage!!!

#127665 - 06/30/04 12:39 AM Re: Aikido circles?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I almost forgot!----If you DRAW, on a piece of paper,the cross,w/4-in-between points-(8-points)-and make the lines roughly equal....you will find that you have made a circle.(go ahead and draw the circle around the 8-points) P.S.Thats what i like about aikido, it has "wheels w/in wheels!" p.p.s.Think of a pizza.

#127666 - 06/30/04 01:09 AM Re: Aikido circles?
Joe Jutsu Offline
Enthusiast

[QUOTE]Originally posted by TerryhLee:
I almost forgot!----If you DRAW, on a piece of paper,the cross,w/4-in-between points-(8-points)-and make the lines roughly equal....you will find that you have made a circle.(go ahead and draw the circle around the 8-points) P.S.Thats what i like about aikido, it has "wheels w/in wheels!" p.p.s.Think of a pizza.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, and I have been taught that in Japan eight directions represents all directions, i.e. a circle.

Joe

#127667 - 07/01/04 06:20 PM Re: Aikido circles?
reaperblack Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Victoria, BC, Canada
something else to think about, the idea of your body in a circle is found in many martial arts and in many aspects of life. One of the symbols for medicine is a man with his arms and legs out in a star and a cirle drawn around them, this is the motion used in many styles, tai chi, capoeira, aikido, and jujitsu. Circular styles are amongst the deadliest and the most useful against multiple attackers

#127668 - 07/01/04 11:30 PM Re: Aikido circles?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I agree Gentlemen. What we are talking about , may seem simple to some....." a child can wade in it,---And 'seeker', can 'sink'in it!"----it can be both simple,.......and deep.

#127669 - 07/02/04 02:58 AM Re: Aikido circles?
senseilou Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Glendale, Az.
my 2 cents...............when viewing a circle it has 360'.If you divide your circle into an octagon you are not using all the angles available to you. Look at the first half of the exercise where you go in 4 directions, you are working the 90', add the 8 directions and your working the 45'. But all angles exist in the circle(360)so what happened to the 36' angle or the 75' or the 120'? Knowing all angles exist, the octagon is helpful but one is missing angles to work. We employ the use of the clock, from 12(always facing you)all the way around to the 11. this increases the angles by a bit as you can work to the 1, or the 2 before moving the 3. You can also move between 1 and 2, and 2 and 3,so you create more angles in your tai sabaki. Its impossible and hard to relate to move to the 37' angle, but moving to the 1 on the clock would be close. You needn't worry where you step as long as you are alighned and as long as you are aware that the angles of the octagon are not all that there are, there are much more.

#127670 - 07/03/04 12:31 AM Re: Aikido circles?
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by senseilou:
my 2 cents...............when viewing a circle it has 360'.If you divide your circle into an octagon you are not using all the angles available to you. Look at the first half of the exercise where you go in 4 directions, you are working the 90', add the 8 directions and your working the 45'. But all angles exist in the circle(360)so what happened to the 36' angle or the 75' or the 120'? Knowing all angles exist, the octagon is helpful but one is missing angles to work. We employ the use of the clock, from 12(always facing you)all the way around to the 11. this increases the angles by a bit as you can work to the 1, or the 2 before moving the 3. You can also move between 1 and 2, and 2 and 3,so you create more angles in your tai sabaki. Its impossible and hard to relate to move to the 37' angle, but moving to the 1 on the clock would be close. You needn't worry where you step as long as you are alighned and as long as you are aware that the angles of the octagon are not all that there are, there are much more.[/QUOTE]Hello Sensei Lou!----thanks for your REPLY.And you are correct.Indeed, there are much more.from my observations, this thing can get more, and more complex as you can handel.It can also have a "not beyond approach", system about it.I like the latter.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga