FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 54 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
Dobbersky 2
MattJ 2
royal 2
TooNice 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#127344 - 02/20/04 01:40 PM Re: Keri waza
Joe Jutsu Offline
Enthusiast

In response to Lou's last post-

What you were saying about uchi deishi arranging the syllabus is the same as what I've heard. I've also heard that they were the ones to actually name the techniques, because O Sensei never did. Do you think that maybe he looked at Aikido as basically really just having one technique (kokyunage) but many different expressions and applications of this technique?

Joe

#127345 - 02/24/04 05:46 AM Re: Keri waza
Cato Offline
Veteran

It's a bit of a miasma really, all this "O'sensei said/did this or that" stuff. Unless we were there, who's to say what O'sensei did? Or even if he consistently said the same things at different times. Most, if not all, of us contradict ourselves quite regularly, isn't it possible, probable even, that O'sensei did as well? I also think that things have been twisted, mixed up and just plain made up by people with their own agenda to satisfy and so we can't really say with any certainty what O'sensei said, did or meant anymore.

Personally, I train not because I want to be a superman, or a "bad ass dude" or even because I want to be the best fighter on the block, but because I want to dip my toe into traditional Japanese culture and find out a little about the martial traditions of that era. So, I would feel I was being disingenuous if I started mixing other things with what I consider to be traditional arts. I would feel I was missing the point if I started worrying that my training doesn't cater for this or that, and that once I start to worry about "what if's" my training will become a chore. Consequently, I bang the drum for traditional arts and don't train kicks in my aikido. I don't believe they were a part of the samurai martial tradition. There's nothing wrong with doing so if it suits your aims, it just means your idea of aikido and mine are different.

Budo

[This message has been edited by Cato (edited 02-24-2004).]

#127346 - 02/26/04 06:49 AM Re: Keri waza
dazzler2 Offline

Loc: england
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Joe Jutsu:
In response to Lou's last post-

What you were saying about uchi deishi arranging the syllabus is the same as what I've heard. I've also heard that they were the ones to actually name the techniques, because O Sensei never did. Do you think that maybe he looked at Aikido as basically really just having one technique (kokyunage) but many different expressions and applications of this technique?

Joe
[/QUOTE]

Joe...that pretty much sums it up.

I've had it explained to me that Aikido is bringing female ying together with male yang to produce Ki...a child or product of this.

Before JohnL despatches me to his FCP (failed chi pushers) group I'll say that my interpretation of this is that the Ki to me is nothing more than utilising the energy of the attack and joining it with the energy of the defender to produce a greater energy.

So yes...pretty much everything is a kokyu ho nage created by combining ying with yang.

The above explanation extended to saying this bringing together of 2 energies could generate 10,000 forms (for 10,000 read infinite).

However this has been qualified by validating these movements against the bases of Shisei (posure) , Kamae (relationship), maai (distance), Irimi (entering), tenkan (turning) atemi (striking) et al.

If the bases were applied correctly then it is aikido...if not its county dancing..

D

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga