FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 36 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 3
Ronin1966 3
AndyLA 1
Victor Smith 1
GojuRyuboy13 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
10/22/14 07:20 AM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35582 Topics
432510 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Topic Options
#127294 - 12/23/03 12:56 AM Its all the same thing
senseilou Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Glendale, Az.
Having studied many arts and achieving Black Belts in many of them, I have come to a major conclusion that we all do the same thing, the only thing that differs is the approach we take to what we do. I teach Action-Reaction-Counteraction. I can't think of an art that this doesn't apply to. Action, the attack, reaction is how we recieve or deal with the attack. No matter what the attack,strike-kick-grab-grappling whatever, we have to have a reaction to the attack. Now this differs, and we all have different ways to accept an attack, some may avoid, evade, intercept, but one thing we all do is react to the attack. When I teach a seminar, I don't teach reaction. Why should I teach someone how to react when they all have their own ways to react. I will give some ideas, on how to react, but will let students react pretty much how they would like. Actually, I don't usually teach attack, but rather let the student practice anyway he wants to get to the "counter-action. It is here that we differ in how to counter-act, as a Karate-ka will have a different counter action than say a Brazillian Jujutsu-ist. But there are still things in common. Positioning-Alighnment-Timing-Distancing-Preparatory movement, everyone has to do in order to counter-react. So in a general sense, we all do the same thing, its just the icing on the cake that is different. So when I teach a seminar, I may say, we are going to work neck locks, neck takedowns, neck throws, and I'll show some of each. I will then allow the student to decide on the attack, how he reacts to the attack, so long as he gets my neck technique. Naturally beginners I am more exact with, but still allow them to react how they have been taught.
I recently asked 2 of my Sensei what the most important thing in technique was. The answer from both was positioning and preparing the attaker for what you want to do(counter-action) Having both answering the same way, I asked 2 more and the answer was alighnment,and positioning. The styles were Karate-Jujutsu-San Jitsu and Lua, and they all expressed one thing, it doesn't matter what you do, but you must do it technically sound. Having seen this, I believe through all our discussions, that we really aren't that different, we are just making different ice cream sundaes, but the toppings are different, but they still are sundaes made with ice cream. Wouldn't it be great if the majority of Martial Artists would see this, accept it and start training outside their specific styles. It would be an eye opening and gratifying experience I bet.

#127295 - 12/24/03 11:26 AM Re: Its all the same thing
scarryone Offline

Loc: orange county
Here Here, I could not agree more. It has been my pleasure to be exposed to many different styles of MA in my Aikido Class. (woops we dont call it that anymore) Our lessens focus on a standard set of principals that can be used open hand or with wepons standing or on the ground. #1 is dont get hit (i think most arts teach this). #2 ballance and allinment in attack/evasion (important in most arts) #3 conection (i think all arts conect at some point) Our Sensi encourages us to attend other classes, he says, go there and do what they do. He is always intrested in what were are learning out side of our class. He showes how this novel new move is exactley what we worked on a week ago. I have spent some time this last year learning to punch and kick along with some ground work, I feel that it has helped my Aikido tremendousley. I feel akin to the the BJJ guys that work out befoe us and the Systema guys after. From what i see we all work on the same set of principals,are after the same results and all enjoy what we do.

#127296 - 12/28/03 06:45 AM Re: Its all the same thing
AikiMark Offline
Stranger

Loc: hewitt,NJ,US
People talk about this aikido is different then that aikido. This school is softer then that that one. In my experience there are different variations but at the end of the technique it`s all the same. The same lock or throw it`s just approached differently in the beggining. Don`t mind my spelling(smilling). It`s all how YOU(yourself) want to apply the technique. Whether it`s gracefully or in a hard sense. At the end it`s the same result.

#127297 - 01/09/04 09:26 AM Re: Its all the same thing
dazzler2 Offline

Loc: england
[QUOTE]Originally posted by AikiMark:
People talk about this aikido is different then that aikido. This school is softer then that that one. In my experience there are different variations but at the end of the technique it`s all the same. The same lock or throw it`s just approached differently in the beggining. Don`t mind my spelling(smilling). It`s all how YOU(yourself) want to apply the technique. Whether it`s gracefully or in a hard sense. At the end it`s the same result.[/QUOTE]

Dont quite agree with you here Mark. Lots of aiki schools have slightly or even largely different ways of applying the technique.

But for them the focus is the technique.

For others the actual technique is of lesser significance - instead it is merely a tool to develop the true elements of the practice such as posture, distance, safe position, breathing , co-ordination, entering and striking for instance.

Its pointless developing the worlds most powerful nikkyo if you get punched in the proverbials everytime you apply it.

Regards

D

#127298 - 01/10/04 06:31 PM Re: Its all the same thing
senseilou Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Glendale, Az.
I missed something in anatomy class, could someone please pin point the 'proverbials' for me, is it in the same general area as the 'snickerdoodles'? Just guessing, I think I protect my 'proverbials' with a knee to their face, when I apply Nikkyo. But I am not sure!!!!!!

#127299 - 01/15/04 05:18 AM Re: Its all the same thing
dazzler2 Offline

Loc: england
I think your anatomy is up to speed there Lou!

I'll have to mention Snickerdoodles next time I teach ...

Heres a great example of this forum teaching us something new and valuable!

D

#127300 - 01/23/04 08:25 AM Re: Its all the same thing
Shi Miao Zun Offline

Loc: Windsor UK
Great point. In martial arts all paths lead to the same goal, and I dont mean winning a fight. The human body is bound by is physical capacities, a twisted joint will hurt no matter who does it. If you begin to grasp the principles of the arts everything becomes the same, all paths lead to the same destination.

#127301 - 01/24/04 01:39 PM Re: Its all the same thing
newbiefighter Offline
Stranger

hey im new to the boards and fighting can you guys post some practices and techniques about aikido so you can help me? if you can that would be great. thanks

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga