FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 30 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
mohdnabeel, sunny, swordy, jerrybarry24, SenseiGregT
22915 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ed_Morris 4
Matakiant 3
AndyLA 3
futsaowingchun 2
Zombie Zero 2
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
Martial News
by Matakiant
Today at 06:42 AM
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
mindfullness meditation
by
01/06/09 11:27 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
Martial News
by Matakiant
Today at 06:42 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
09/19/14 09:05 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Matakiant
09/18/14 07:11 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
09/18/14 06:07 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
09/16/14 04:43 PM
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/31/14 09:43 PM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Forum Stats
22915 Members
36 Forums
35576 Topics
432496 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#126643 - 09/22/04 04:39 PM Re: Karate hard, Aikido soft?
Anonymous
Unregistered

IM NOT SURE BUT
Most of you seem to be missing the point.

While there is really no mercy in almost any martial art, there are some with just a bit more compassion. Aikido is one of these.

Yoga is an art that embraces both mercy and compassion, well probably thinks that they are they same, but they are not. in yoga there is no enemy and no opponent. only sweet sweet love.

Karate has no mercy at all, and definetly does not reflect the good health of the enemy or opponent with compassion through its techniques, but there is compassion in the philosphy mostly based on the heart and good will of the karate person. There are both enemies and opponents in karate.

IN AIKIDO THERE IS NO ENEMY, ONLY OPPONENTS.
THIS IS REFLECTED AS A PHILOSOPHY THROUGH ITS ACTUAL TECHNIQUES. THERE IS NO MERCY IN AIKIDO AT ALL. NO SLACK IS EVER REALLY GIVEN TO THE OPPONENT. AIKIDO ALMOST MORE THEN ANY OTHER ART IS DISTINGUISHED IN THIS WAY.

IF YOU BELEIVE COMPASSION IS WEAK THEN YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND THE LAWS OF NATURE.

MERCY IS ABSOLUTELY WEAK, THERE IS NO MERCY IN NATURE, ONLY COMPASSION.

WETHER AIKIDO REPRESENTS THIS BETTER THEN OTHER MARTIAL ARTS IS OBVIOUSLY BASED ON THE CHARACTER OF ITS TEACHERS AND STUDENTS.

#126644 - 09/22/04 05:20 PM Re: Karate hard, Aikido soft?
reaperblack Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Victoria, BC, Canada
Quote "why do we practice Aikido this way and apply it differently? Because if we practiced the way we apply I would have no students, they would all be in hospital or dead." The technique that was used to demonstrate.... lets see if you can figure it out. First hyperextend the elbow with the left hand to the elbow and right to the wrist (counter right tsuki of course), then pass this under the right arm and strike to the throat with a ridgehand, collapsing the trachea, then place the left hand behind the head in a suitable position to leverage to snap the neck or choke, then bend the persons head to their feet, ideally breaking their back. Doesn't sound too compassionate to me.

#126645 - 10/18/04 01:24 AM Re: Karate hard, Aikido soft?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would say that Aikido is as "hard" or as "soft" in response as the attack itself is.

And I thought the question was interesting, but the disrespectful reply to a Sensei seems very immature in one who claims to know something of the arts.

#126646 - 10/21/04 01:47 AM Re: Karate hard, Aikido soft?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just because you are a Sensei of one paticular type of Aikido please don't speak for all aikidoka. I teach Yoshinkan Aikido, and atemi is a very important portion of that style. O-Senesi himself said an effictive technique is 95% atemi 5% lock or throw.

#126647 - 10/21/04 11:09 PM Re: Karate hard, Aikido soft?
Ronin1966 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: East Coast, United States
Hello senseilou:

Shotokan I believe is confusing Richard Heckler's book "In Search of the Warrior Spirit" and thinking they were Seals...

I could be mistaken however,

Jeff

#126648 - 12/11/04 05:31 AM Re: Karate hard, Aikido soft?
Robaikido Offline

Loc: Wales
All these stats make me laugh, 99.5% o fights go to ground, atemi is 95% aikido, which both change everytime someone has a point to make

The actual quote I have in front of me, in Gozo Shioda's book Total Aikido, which I think is awsome.

On the atemi page it says 'The Founder, Ueshiba Sensei, said, "In a real battle, atemi is seventy percent, technique is thirty percent"

The training that we do in the dojo is designed to teach us varous sorts of techniques, the correct way to move our body, effective ways to use our power, how to create a relationship with the other person.

In a real battle, we must use the power that we have developed in our bodies in the dojo and use it explosively in an instant, we must decide the outcome of the dight at that moment. In that situation atemi becomes very important.

So there it is 70% atemi 30% technique, let my knowledge pass on hehe [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

[This message has been edited by Robaikido (edited 12-11-2004).]

#126649 - 12/11/04 01:06 PM Re: Karate hard, Aikido soft?
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by kempo_jujitsu:
what id yonkyo exactly, i method of locking the wrist i know, but what is it in english lol i dont know any of them, we call them front lock, back lock, reverse lock, hand throw, and vertical lock.[/QUOTE]

Basically yonkyo is 'fourth' technique. However that name does not tell you exactly what the technique is.
Basically it is a nerve lock, the nerve in question is the radial nerve. That nerve is 'locked' or literally squashed against the bone. The reason it doesn't work on some ppl is simply because it is in different places on some ppl. However it does not matter whether or not you have the nerve lock on, as long as you have applied the correct wrist lock that goes along with the nerve lock, yonkyo will still work very effectively.

The correct name for the antiquated term of yonkyo is Tekubi asai. Which basically means nerve strangulation.

As for ki in karate, ki/chi/prana is in all things. It exists in all MA regardless of origin. Ki is not a mystical force, it simply is life/spiritual force or universal energy as in Reiki.

For the original question aiki soft, karate hard. It isn't hard as in musculature and it isn't soft as in namby pamby.
Someone has already mentioned what it is.
It is soft as in non confrontational or indirect as oppossed to direct and or confrontational.

Soft and hard do not have the same meanings in eastern minds as it does in western minds.

As a general point of note, most schools (ryu) in Japan consider any MA with the word 'Do' as denoting 'soft' and any ending in jutsu as denoting hard.

For example Aikido comes from aikijutsu. So the soft evolves from the hard. Natural progression.
Kendo (japanese fencing) evolved from Kenjutsu (sword art/magic/mystery)
Jutsu means a variety of words, they are art, magic and mystery.
Ninjutsu - ninja magic or ninja mystery or ninja art.
You will notice there is no ninjutsudo. No soft style.

Do simply means path or way, it is a corrupted (read stolen) version of Tao. Tao also means way or path.

ig

#126650 - 12/30/04 03:22 PM Re: Karate hard, Aikido soft?
Anonymous
Unregistered

It's a broad sweeping statement to say that one martial art is "hard" and another "soft". It depends on who's applying it. I have seen "soft" expressions of what is traditionally a "hard" martial art and vice versa.

Yin and Yang (In/Yo, hard/soft, fire/water) are 2 sides of the same coin.

Bear in mind that perhaps what one experiences in a "hard" style is simply a "beginner level" of expression and understanding of the art.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga