FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 51 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn
22904 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 14
cxt 7
trevek 6
JKogas 5
futsaowingchun 3
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Throwing
by
04/23/05 10:58 PM
Recent Posts
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
Yesterday at 05:11 AM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:53 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
07/24/14 11:35 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
Forum Stats
22904 Members
36 Forums
35564 Topics
432455 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#126297 - 08/07/05 01:28 PM Re: aiki? [Re: csinca]
csinca Offline
former moderator

Loc: Southern California
eyrie, I don't know if you ever saw this thread.

chris

#126298 - 08/07/05 07:57 PM Re: aiki? [Re: csinca]
eyrie Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: QLD, Australia
I thought I did...before the move. Ah well...I gotta figure out how to use this search function. It's not very user friendly....

#126299 - 08/07/05 09:58 PM Re: aiki? [Re: csinca]
eyrie Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: QLD, Australia
To address your original post:

Personally, I would not fault either of the 2 situations you mentioned above. Ikkyo is an armbar (or at least, the principle of). Shime-waza is part of the syllabus of a number of "aiki" variants.

"aiki" is a principle (that is in accordance with Nature), not a bunch of physical techniques. Anyone that tells you otherwise (like "oh, that's not an aikido technique"), probably doesn't understand the difference or the inherent paradoxical nature of both.

All techniques are, at their highest level of expression, "aiki" in nature. This was already pointed out by SenseiLou above. I have trained with many high-ranking practitioners from other styles/systems (and I'm talking 6th dan and above), that have more "aiki" than most "aiki" people.

OTOH, no matter how much I resist, these high-level practitioners can throw me like a ragdoll or twist me into various pretzel shapes, without having to put on pain compliance. In that respect, I am also practising "aiki", by simply going with them (or staying one step ahead of the technique).

I know this is an old thread from 2 years ago, and things have probably changed a lot for you in terms of training, but can I suggest that you need to avoid the "aiki-fruity" types and approach the art with a more "jutsu" mentality.

It may be a "do" art, but unless one approaches a martial art with a "jutsu" approach, all you're practising is "dancing".

Which may not necessarily be such a bad thing. Even as you are "dancing", you can still mentally focus on the joint locks, the breaks and dislocations as you're doing the technique. i.e. your body is going through the motions of the technique, but what is your mind doing?

"do" is simply a way of approaching a martial art thru other means (mental/spiritual intent/other?) which does not necessarily mean belting the crap out of each other, but knowing that you could and how you could, if necessary.

IOW, what I'm reading here is not so much whether this or that technique is "aiki" or not "aiki", but whether you are practising a "do" or "jutsu" art.

If you take a purely technique-driven "jutsu" approach, without consideration for the overarching spiritual philosophy, then you're not IMHO, practising the "do".

And if you're practising the "do" form, then why would you need to resort to "base" level techniques (of breaking, dislocating, maiming), when you (and your partner) can practise in a "martial-like manner"?

I suggest that we need both "do" and "jutsu" to become more complete individuals. (Note the deliberate avoidance of the term "martial artist", because ultimately it's never about "fighting", but that which makes us more human(e).)

Ultimately, "aiki" means nothing without a partner. BTW, the "partner" doesn't have to be a person. It can be "Nature" itself....

A few years ago, my "aiki" teacher, started to drop the "do" from aikido. His admonition was for each of us to find the "Way", i.e. to find OUR own way. Understanding the spiritual philosophy underpinning the art, and knowing the potential lethality of the technical side is one thing. Embodying the paradox of both is quite another.

FWIW,

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga