FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 20 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SenseiGregT, sagat, JFawkes, pluckysaga39, sgtdemeo
22911 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 5
AndyLA 5
Ed_Morris 4
futsaowingchun 3
ergees 3
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Recent Posts
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
08/29/14 10:50 PM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/28/14 02:39 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:58 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
08/16/14 04:59 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Forum Stats
22911 Members
36 Forums
35573 Topics
432484 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#126085 - 09/04/03 07:20 AM Re: Boxing and Aiki
tiger Offline

Loc: taylor, Michigan , USA
Hi Chris,
You seem to worry alot about what someone is going to do in a fight. nothing you do can change what the attacker is going to do, so why worry. Don't focus on what he going to do focus on what YOU are suppose to be doing. You only have three options, even if he has thousands of techniques, 1. pivot and turn( tai no henko / tenkan ) 2. Enter(Irimi) 3. RUN( feet moving very fast :~).

you don't need to see what the attacker is going to use, move at the first sign of the attacker moving, not after he starts the attack. You must remember that Osensei had poor eyesight so to him most attacks were blurry, he moved off the initial movement of the attacker and just followed the principals of getting the body out of the way first then dealt with the actual attack. So he did'nt care what the attacker as going to do he was either going to enter or pivot. I know it sounds simple but try it. start with having your partner using a straight forward attack for example jab to the face, fronk kick, two handed push, 1-2 punch, DO NO TECHNIQUES, just pivot and try to get shoulder to shoulder with your partner. Let your partner use what ever straight forward attack he wants in any combination, just do your job. I have used caps to emphasize key points, not to be loud with you. DO NOT WATCH THE EYES, look at the attackers center or obi, and you will be able to see his hands and feet, Blur your vision slightly, and move as soon as you see your partner move, it dosent matter if he trys to fake you out either, just focus on what you are suppose to be doing, get either behind him or get shoulder to shoulder with him. After you have learned to turn/pivot and move the body then start to add your waza. I hope this gives you some Ideas.

peace and love
tiger

#126086 - 09/04/03 10:54 AM Re: Boxing and Aiki
Cato Offline
Veteran

I couldn't agree more. There is a definate tendency to get hung up on training against this style and that style and forgetting that aikido teaches defences to principles of attack and not the attacks themselves. The defences remain the same whatever the attack, someone skilled in aikido shoud stand a fair chance against other style because the style of the attack doesn't matter.

Budo

#126087 - 09/04/03 01:27 PM Re: Boxing and Aiki
csinca Offline
former moderator

Loc: Southern California
Tiger and Cato,

I don't disagree with the premise that we can only control our own actions and that we should train to execute the principles properly.

I am not advocating or suggesting that we train against any particular style. Rather I suggest two things:

1. train against as many different styles and tyes of attacks as you can.
2. preferable train against someone that can effectively execute the attacks.

In my experience (my own dojo, other dojos here in California as well as other states I've visited, and most of the seminars I've been to) aikidoka often can't offer a dangerous attack. Most aikido training does not teach to punch from the hips, in combination, while maintaining your balance and preferably after some "set-up" work. Rather, most aikido classes I've seen and participated in work a "step right, strike right" shomen attack and then claim that what they just practiced will directly tranfer over to a quick jab-jab-cross with no step but rather a shuffle to close distance.

I do worry about what would happen in a fight in the sense that I want to train for various possibilities so that I am not surprised should I find my self "in it for real".

Regards,

Chris

#126088 - 09/04/03 01:33 PM Re: Boxing and Aiki
csinca Offline
former moderator

I was getting long winded so I thought I'd break up the post.

This past Tuesday I was doing some free sparring with a BJJ practitioner. I had always thought I could defend against the takedown fairly easily, I mean the other guys is actually putting his face closer to my knees. I just need to bring one of them up to meet him. Or I drop weight and plant an elbow in his back. Or I just do a little tenkan and let him dive to the mat. Or I drop my weight into him and send him backwards from my solid base, or I drop one hand inside, pivot and away he goes in a nice little kaiten.

Unfortunately I haven't trained much against the shoot and I didn't recognize it until he had my knees wrapped and I was on the way to the ground. I did manage a backroll to keep us going and I ended up on top so all was right with the world at the end. My point though is that all the options I had been taught in the dojo never materialized because I didn't recognize a fairly skilled shoot from someone that is good at it. I was used to my aikido friends coming in like an airplane with their arms wide...

Okay, I've spend my two cents....

Chris

#126089 - 09/05/03 07:47 AM Re: Boxing and Aiki
tiger Offline

Hi Chris,

It is frustrating when you believe that you can do something that you cannot, I'm refering to the BJJ event, ego is a powerful thing that effects our judgement constantly
creating doubt, fear,and overconfidence. you learned a valuable lesson that if it was in a real fight you probablly would have been injured, pavement is not as forgiving as the mat. Again I can't stress enough that you must practice the basic pivot and the basic entering, remember your Mai-ai is roughly 6 feet, if that distance is reduced it becomes easiern to attack than to defend. Now did you wait for the attacker to move forward before you attempted to move or did you move at the attackers initial movement, Remember he who hesitates is lost... Which brings me to another point if you want to train on how you will be attacker remember that at least in the midwest every High school teaches football and wrestling, so you should make sure to famillarize yourself with how to deal with a shoot or a quick tackle. First master the basics ans you will be amazed how it will be very hard for anyone to get there hands on you. I don't know if you near Ventura, Ca. but if you can make the trip you should look up Larry Reynosa, and watch his students do Randori, They go full out!!! but you will be able to get some ideas on how to deal with different attacks.

Peace, Love and a scratching post for everyone.

tiger

#126090 - 09/05/03 09:31 AM Re: Boxing and Aiki
csinca Offline
former moderator

Tiger,

I worked out with Reynose sensei once about 6 years ago at a seminar by Seagal sensei in Santa Barbara. He and I did a little bit of ju waza and I had a blast.

Following my recent experience, I'll be focusing on the shoot; how to do it, how to recognize it, and how to defend against it. Initially I'll be going outside my aikido dojo and working with the BJJ guys to work it though.

I'm certainly not saying that I can't or couldn't use aikido to defend from a wide variety of attacks or styles. I'm just saying that if I want to learn how to defend myself from a single or double leg take down, I need to spend some time learning how to defend against someone that can quickly and efficiently mount the attack.

Once I understand the attack and can recognize it in a free sparring enviroment, then I can begin implementing my principles.

Chris

#126091 - 09/06/03 06:21 PM Re: Boxing and Aiki
kempo_jujitsu Offline
Veteran

Loc: illinois, usa
i may have misunderstood, but i think that if you think you can pivot out of the way of a quick jab, you are going to get punched in the face. its too slow...and the jab too quick. and in a good jab there is basically no body movement from the opponent.

#126092 - 09/07/03 01:32 AM Re: Boxing and Aiki
tiger Offline

Hi,

But if there is no body movement with the quick jab, it becomes a limb strike and is week, and since the attacker is not going to move if you move, you create a greater distance than anticipated, rendering his jab ineffective. For a jab to be effective in a real situation the attacker has to close the distance, and usually when using a jab moves his front foot forward to lengthen his reach.
Even really good fighters like muhammad ali, that kept a low lead hand guard had to move his front foot forward to get the jab in, also if you watch his old fights you will see that Ali uses a backward pivot to move out of the range of the opponents lead hand. Usually Ali would move back keeping to the right side of his right handed opponent and that put him almost shoulder to shoulder with his opponent. This created a greater distance between him and his oponents left hand, this would inturn make the opponent throw his right hand first, causing the opponent to loose his lead hand technique and Ali could quickly counter.

Even the renound kempo Grandmaster Seiyu Oyata, uses evasion over meeting a jab with a block, he will make a 3 to 5 inch turn or about a 10 degree angle, that is just enough to get out of range of the jab and then knock the attacker out with a tuite technique.
Pivoting and turning are major techniques in karate kata like Chinto, Wanshu, Gojushiho,and the Pinans. The key is to work on timing, and foot work. I know that in my short 30 years in the martial arts I have pivoted out of the way of many kicks, punches, jabs, I don't claim to be great but I know if I can do it, you can do it, It just takes practice....

peace and love

tiger

#126093 - 09/07/03 07:33 PM Re: Boxing and Aiki
csinca Offline
former moderator

Tiger,

I agree that body movement (tai sabaki) and control of ma'i are preferable to blocking. Unfortunately I'm not as skilled in them as my shins would like me to be! In the last six months that I've been adding some sparring with TKD/Wado Ryu folks, I've found that since I'm used to hand strikes, I'm fairly successful in moving rather than blocking. Now I'm trying to develop the same against kicks... Time and Practice.

Chris

#126094 - 09/15/03 12:13 PM Re: Boxing and Aiki
Anonymous
Unregistered

How about using the Atemi (Lounge and reverse punch)against the boxer while looking for an opening to thow him?

-Shotokan

Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga