FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 30 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 2
jwwmantis 2
Beefcake 1
LeroyCFischer 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Chum Kiu's double Tan Sau motion
by futsaowingchun
Today at 10:08 AM
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Chum Kiu's double Tan Sau motion
by futsaowingchun
Today at 10:08 AM
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35592 Topics
432527 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#125975 - 06/09/03 02:46 PM Is aikido street effective???
dawgzog Offline

Is aikido effective on the street?

#125976 - 06/09/03 03:20 PM Re: Is aikido street effective???
JohnL Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: NY, NY, USA
Hi dawgzog

I know you're new to the forum, but you've arrived in a number of different lists and bombarded people with questions like,

What is the most deadly art?
Is Tae Kwon do street effective?
What's the best MA for multiple attackers?
Is Aikido street effective?

It would appear that you have no knowledge of MA's whatsoever.

If you are in that much trouble that you need to ask these questions, go to the police.

Otherwise it's advisable to get some knowledge before you bombard people with questions that a total novice could answer.

JohnL

#125977 - 06/10/03 01:51 AM Re: Is aikido street effective???
senseilou Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Glendale, Az.
Depends on who is doing it!!!!!!!!!

#125978 - 06/10/03 09:22 AM Re: Is aikido street effective???
immrtldragon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Just outside Philadelphia, PA
What John said.

#125979 - 06/10/03 02:13 PM Re: Is aikido street effective???
Cato Offline
Veteran

Dawgzog, pretty much like Lou says - it depends who's doing it. The trick is to find an art that you personally can apply, and stick with it, regardless of anyone else's opinion. Of course aikido can be effective on the street, it is after all an authentic martial art, but some people aren't able to apply it on the street. It just means they need to find a different art, it doesn't mean that aikido is in any way defficient.

I personally don't like TKD, and can't see how it would lend itself to "real" applications, so I don't practise it. The fault lies with me, not TKD, I'm simply not good enough in the art to use it effectively. The question you should be asking yourself is whether you think you will be good enough at aikido to use that art effectively.

Budo

PS I think you should ask as many questions as you want. We all started out with no knowledge of the MA's and the only way to learn is to ask. There is a saying that goes along the lines of "To ask is a moment's shame; not to ask, and so remain ignorant, is a lifelong shame"

#125980 - 06/10/03 03:33 PM Re: Is aikido street effective???
blackbeltdude Offline

thank you cato i new john L. was wrong. thankyou!!!

#125981 - 06/10/03 10:03 PM Re: Is aikido street effective???
senseilou Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Glendale, Az.
Once again Cato and I talk like we are joined at the hip. I think too the only stupid question is the one you don't ask. I too tire of the "what if" questions but still try to take the time to address them.To me the more you ask, the more you find out. But you have to be asking questions for the right reasons. If one does it to keep Sesnei from pushing to hard in the dojo, and to get a 'break' its wrong, but if its done to work on the information there is nothing wrong with the questions. Same goes for asking questions just to get a comment from somebody just to use it as fire power, so and so said this art sucks etc. this is wrong as well. I just worked with a Sesnei that said, "You know the most important class at school" Recess was his answer. He further went on to say you study in class, then you go out and do what you want at recess. Same is true for Martial arts, ask questions, get answers then go decide for yourself what is good for you and what is bad. We can not give out that information for we know nothing of your skill, knowledge, background or prejudices. Add my prejudice the TKD as I do not find the art particularly appealing, however there are many who do it and do it well.

#125982 - 06/25/03 05:45 AM Re: Is aikido street effective???
Cato Offline
Veteran

So Lou, side tracking a little, as a sensei how do you deal with students who ask the same questions over and over, and never appear to "get it"? Or perhaps those who ask questions as a means to avoid physical training?

Budo

#125983 - 06/25/03 04:13 PM Re: Is aikido street effective???
kempo_jujitsu Offline
Veteran

Loc: illinois, usa
off topic but i think there are certain questions that are just plain stupid....tire go flat? nooooo what makes you think that [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]
but i think you should ask any and all questions even if johnl thinks they are stupid...it seems to me that dawzog is here to learn not make smartass comments to everyone. the acquisition of knowledge comes through (among other things) asking questions, even john cant argue that point as was stated before everyone was a beginner at first, even john hell he may still be for all i know. if its an honest question not asked just to annoy people then ask it!!

#125984 - 06/25/03 04:15 PM Re: Is aikido street effective???
kempo_jujitsu Offline
Veteran

Loc: illinois, usa
cato
"to ask is a moments shame, not to ask, and remain ignorant is a lifelong shame" ...this is one of my favorite quotes and is my signature on another forum, i use it alot
my other is "you can do anything you wish, you just cant always do it alone"

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga