FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 32 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jwwmantis 2
harlan 1
Beefcake 1
LeroyCFischer 1
William_Bent 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35590 Topics
432525 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#125797 - 04/17/03 06:32 AM Training in a gi.
Cato Offline
Veteran

Does training in a dogi give a false sense of freedom of movement? Once outside the dojo and in everyday clothing, can aiki techniques still be made to work?

#125798 - 04/17/03 10:31 AM Re: Training in a gi.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Good question Cato.
My partner and I were discussing this very thing the other day.
There would have to certain restrictions on footwear though. I normally wear high heels to go out for the evening, but they are lethal weapons. I WOULD kick an attacker wearing them, but not a training partner.
I definitely think that women should sometimes train in a skirt (obviously for modesty's sake, with shorts underneath).
We are planning a training session soon wearing street clothes with tables and chairs set out like a pub or club with weapons availabe such as plastic bottles and picnic glasses and broom handles to simulate snooker cues.
Sharon
Sharon

#125799 - 04/17/03 10:37 AM Re: Training in a gi.
UKfightfreak Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: San Francisco
[QUOTE]Originally posted by wadowoman:
Good question Cato.
My partner and I were discussing this very thing the other day.
There would have to certain restrictions on footwear though. I normally wear high heels to go out for the evening, but they are lethal weapons. I WOULD kick an attacker wearing them, but not a training partner.
I definitely think that women should sometimes train in a skirt (obviously for modesty's sake, with shorts underneath).
We are planning a training session soon wearing street clothes with tables and chairs set out like a pub or club with weapons availabe such as plastic bottles and picnic glasses and broom handles to simulate snooker cues.
Sharon
Sharon
[/QUOTE]

Agreed

#125800 - 04/17/03 02:12 PM Re: Training in a gi.
senseilou Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Glendale, Az.
Simple solution is to practice in street clothes. We do it all the time, either outside with shoes, or inside with barefeet. We also train in shorts as that is what we wear 90% of the time here. Its a bit rough on the knees in practicing groundwork, but it does teach a lesson.

#125801 - 04/17/03 07:17 PM Re: Training in a gi.
joesixpack Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Australia
When it comes to kicking, it helps as if you can kick full force using your foot, then a shoe will be brutal.

It does make locks feel more effecitve? Well then, practice to choke down on the wrist

#125802 - 04/17/03 08:58 PM Re: Training in a gi.
raccoon Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Victoria BC Canada
Hehe, I am going to hijack the devil's advocate's thread.

Slightly different question: why do we always train after warm up and stretching? (or do we all?) ... I mean, in self defense, its not like the offenders are going to give you time to jog, stretch, mokusou... and THEN engage. Any thoughts?

-raccoon

#125803 - 04/17/03 09:22 PM Re: Training in a gi.
Joe Jutsu Offline
Enthusiast

I always assumed that we warm up to avoid pulling a muscle, and especially stretching out the wrists so I can live to train another day. On the street... grrr, I'm starting to hate this hypothetical situation, I don't plan on getting in a wrist lock or expect the confrontation to last nearly as long as practice does, but I'm young and am flexible so it really probably wouldn't matter anyway.

Joe

#125804 - 04/17/03 11:22 PM Re: Training in a gi.
Cato Offline
Veteran

How about we all develop a new way of walking that actually incorporates some stretching exercises? Maybe an overly long stride to keep the groin stretched and an exagerated arm swing, whilst gently rotating the hips, shaking the wrists and wobbling the head from side to side? Not only would it keep you perfectly honed for any potential attack, it may well also stop people attcking you in the first place. I mean, who the hell would attack someone who's crazy enough to walk like that?? [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

Now, about this gi wearing business...

Budo

#125805 - 04/17/03 11:31 PM Re: Training in a gi.
raccoon Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Victoria BC Canada
Good idea... and similarly, I suggest all budoka start walking around with gi on ALL THE TIME [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

-raccoon

#125806 - 04/18/03 10:18 AM Re: Training in a gi.
Cato Offline
Veteran

WHAT!!! [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/eek.gif[/IMG] You mean there are people who don't wear their gi all the time. That's the end of this thread then. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/rolleyes.gif[/IMG]

I was just curious to find out what those of us who practice high kicks in particualr thought of the trying them in normal clothing, which obviously restricts their movement.

It is interesting that so many sensei think it important to practice in everyday clothing, but it does beg a a few more questions.(OH C'mon, you should've known therwould be a twist in the plot eventually [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG] ).

Suppose it is found that a particular kick is not practical outside the dojo, do we then stop practising it? Or perhaps practice it less and concentrate upon those techniques that do work in jeans? If so, are we then undermining the integrity of our art? And if not, what would be the point in training without your dogi in the first place if you aren't going to take anything from the lesson?

I suppose you could argue that once you know which techniques work outside the dojo you can leave out those that don't. But that would be contrary to the widely held opinion that we fight as we train, wouldn't it?

Budo

[This message has been edited by Cato (edited 04-18-2003).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga