FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 103 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jwwmantis 2
Beefcake 1
LeroyCFischer 1
futsaowingchun 1
Zombie Zero 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35591 Topics
432526 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#125620 - 04/18/03 02:10 PM Re: different styles
Joe Jutsu Offline
Enthusiast

Lou Sensei-

Thank you for the offer. I have a friend who is graduating this spring from ASU (not the society of Ueshiba), so I actually may be in your neck of the woods. You definitely have quite the resume! I confess to not know much about Satome Sensei, but now I'm inclined to do a bit of education. I hope to spend some time in Japan after I graduate from college at the end of next year through the JET program, so hopefully I'll be able to seek out some similar expertise in various budo that you've been able to. So I'll definitely let you know if I'm in AZ, I'd be very interested to actually see and watch your style. It seems that you have much to teach!

Joe.

#125621 - 04/19/03 01:14 AM Re: different styles
senseilou Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Glendale, Az.
Joe, let me know, and bring your gi. We will work on any aspect that you feel comfortable with, with the exception of big circle Aikido, but I will share the smaller circle if you want. My Son is a senior at ASU as well so you are more than welcome to share some dojo time or just visit with us. Just let me know. I don't know when you are planning to be out here but We are sponsoring a seminar with Hanshi Bruce Juchnik and Professor Eugene Seden on the 30-31 of May. Both will be at my dojo for a private class that Friday, and an all day Saturday seminar with them as well. If you make it that weekend I won't charge you to keep the expenses down. Just let me know.

#125622 - 04/22/03 08:23 PM Re: different styles
WavyD Offline

[QUOTE]Originally posted by csinca:
Any chance that O'Sensei changed/evolved Aikido over the course of his teaching career? If so it would make sense that his students over the years were taught different things.

Add to that the fact that everyone brings unique perspectives, skills, and intentions to their training. My Tae Kwon Do experience will influence my Aikido and make it different than someone with no other martial art experience.

Lastly, I work out with a couple of very small women as well as a guy that is 6'8" and 300 pounds... There is no way a wide range of sizes is going to do the same technique the same way.

All of this is going to cause one persons interpretation of an art to be different than anyone else's.

[/QUOTE]

I agree and just want to add Martial Arts is just that...an art. Most teachers will tell their students to find their own way which is part of the martial arts and the reason that students become teachers and teachers become masters. You find balance by learning to combine mind and body. With balance comes growth and evolution. In my life I've studied many martial arts and hold rank (I'm not a style jumper looking for the 1 greatest art). One thing that all the arts have shared is the same goal. Personal balance.

#125623 - 04/24/03 09:14 AM Re: different styles
cerckert Offline

Loc: Huntington, NY, United States
As someone who has only been training for 3 years in Aikido I would say the single most important thing that would clear up a young students mind would be for the instructor to explain the lineage of what they were teaching, not to prove it was the best but to show how what the student is learning fits into the greater martial arts community.

eg After 2 years of training with one instructor then have to switch instuctors and being told that the lineage of the new instructor was the only authentic aikido was extremely dishartening and I began to seriously question what I learned. I have now have come to terms with this and feel that both instructors are teaching in the aiki spirit but it confused me for quite some time.

#125624 - 04/27/03 03:03 AM Re: different styles
senseilou Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Glendale, Az.
Well, listening to this reminds me of a situation where an Aikido school said they had no affiliation style wise or lineage wise to another Aikido style. They were totally separate, and only one was authentic. They were right, the only 1 authentic art was done by Ueshieba himself, or maybe family members. Outside of that, no one does things exactly like O'Sensei for the main reason, that nobody since has been that talented. Lineage all came from Ueshieba, so there is a common thread. Beginners are gulliable to what is being told to them, so I am not sure this is the answer either. Political situations also change lineage as well as associations. I can't tell you how many different stories I have heard about how Aikido evolved. Its a natural progression of things for an art to evolve, and people have a tendency to embellish their story. So when one tells you he studied with Ueshieba, and is only 38 years old, you know something is up. Somewhere along the line, Senseis modify what they teach, and their Sensei modified to them. Nothing is authentic. Soke Shogo Kuniba is known for Kuniba-HA Shito Ryu in this country, Motobu-Ha Shito Ryu in Japan. Same art 2 different names. When I tell people I got my Jujutsu from this man they tell me I don't know what I am talking about as he is a Karate Master. What they don't know, and the Aiki people don't know is that Kuniba Sensei was one of Shioda Sensei's top student, but Kuniba Sensei combined his Jujutsu Aikido and Karate together in this country, and only a handful of people know about it. So if I were to say I had a lineage to Shioda Sensei would not be wrong, but embellished. I say don't worry about the about the variations, study the art, its a vehicle for your independent pursuit of a goal. For my money, unless you train the exact way, are built the same way, know the same information, had the same life experiences as your Sensei, then something is going to evolve, and I personally have no problem with it, and am glad people like Kuniba Sensei had the guts to say, this is the way I do it, like it fine, if not find someone else. That is my philosophy as well.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga