FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 30 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
osibolyxu, SamasTactical, Mustafa, kritesh, AlfonsoGrey37
23185 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
kickbutt 2
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
New Topics
History of Tae Kwon Do
by
05/07/05 10:39 PM
Recent Posts
History of Tae Kwon Do
by kickbutt
09/07/18 06:28 AM
Forum Stats
23185 Members
36 Forums
35694 Topics
432749 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#125307 - 09/16/02 02:18 PM Re: Don't think aikido is effective self-defense
Syndic Offline
Stranger

I've taken some aikido, but the majority of my martial arts experience has been in other, more aggressive styles, particularly Kenpo, karate-do, jiu-jitsu and others. After taking one ten-week class of aikido, I found my skills had dramatically improved in the other arts I studied. I think it is important to remember that aikido is more than just a connected series of self-defense techniques. Like karate-do, it is as much a path to enlightenment as a way of keeping oneself alive. For example, when one is attacked on the street, there are a myriad responses one might have. However, if one has not the relaxation and presence of mind, if one panics or freezes, counters become very difficult. I found aikido to be very effective in cultivating exactly this kind of focused-calm.

Remember, the deeper lessons of the martial arts are often those that don't involve kicking, punching, grappling, etc.

#125308 - 10/14/02 01:33 AM Re: Don't think aikido is effective self-defense
senseilou Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Glendale, Az.
This is like the chicken and the egg. you can find just as many who believe Aikido works in the street as those who don't. I will not partake in the debate but offer some points to ponder. I have a Dan Ranking in Aiki as well as other arts, though my other arts are much higher than my Aiki. I trained for 8 years in Aiki, both Jujutsu and Aikido, as well as Karate, Torite, Jujutsu, San Jitsu and Chin Na.
My point is this, don't always view Aikido as it is displayed, and don't always view it's creator as a soft little old sweet grandfather. O'Sensei Ueshiba, reinvented himself after the war. Look at some of his pre-war techniqies and you will find atemi waza(striking and kicking) in his Aikido. he was a very tough and hard individual early on, but most Aikido is based on his later years.
Look at the INTENT of the practioner. A break, is a lock continued. If my intent is to break, I can do it with an Aiki technique. If my intent is to restrain, I can do the same thing. When viewing a throw, look at where the person is being throw. In the dojo it is on the mat, in a parking lot in can be into a wall or through a windsheild, or on top of a car. People uneducated in ukemi waza could get hurt. If my intent is to throw someone into a car, it is possible to do so. Intent on 'how' you do the technique can vary from person to person. I am not saying however that what you see in dojo practice is the same as what you see on the street. My disposition changes greatly on the street, as I have no one in the dojo(for the most part) I want to hurt, but don't mind doing what is necessary on the street.
My advise is to train with others outside the dojo, many times Aiki practioners practice in isolation, only with other Aiki people. Try using what you do on Karateka, Brazillian Jujutsuist, Chinesse practioners and watch their response to what you do. That is the education. I once met a Shaolin Temple student and we were freestyling a bit. I did a Sankyo throw a bit too fast and his feet left the ground before I was ready to throw him. The lesson was great one, I had found that not everyone rolls the same, and he found how quick that lock became a throw. I was impressed with his ukemi, he with my throw. We learned from one another. Keep this in Mind.
verbal garbage from a Martial Art addict

#125309 - 10/14/02 07:58 AM Re: Don't think aikido is effective self-defense
Cato Offline
Veteran

Aikido, like any authentic martial art, can be used as an effective form of self defence, but only by people skilled in its application. Try using a ju-jutsu or karate technique with little or no skill and you'll soon wish you hadn't bothered. All martial arts take time to learn and understand. Where Aiki differs from some other arts is in the time it takes to achieve this degree of skill.

True martial arts are about more than simply defending yourself against back street thugs. The time it takes to learn the techniques of the art also improves so many other things. Co-ordination, balance, speed, timing, proper breathing, fitness, calmness under pressure, self discipline, self confidence and respect for yourself as well as others are all important life skills that are improved by studying a martial art.

If all you are after is to better defend yourself against attack and you want a quick fix self defence style, go on a self defence course which teaches simple, effective techniques from across the whole spectrum of the martial arts.

Yours In Budo

#125310 - 10/15/02 02:47 PM Re: Don't think aikido is effective self-defense
manasa Offline
Stranger

Loc: UK
ANY martial art requires years of dedicated practice to be effective as self defence. Forget the petty 'mine is better than yours' stuff. Aikido schools differ because some instructors learned a style from the older, bodily weaker founder whilst some styles derived from his younger and more dynamic years. My own Aikido preference? Seek out a Yoshinkan school for tough street self defence. In the Shudokan school, our black belt gradings include many diverse skills, including defence from random attacks with a live steel tanto - perfect for application to street defence today.

However, never forget that Morihei Ueshiba became the best martial artist of his generation because of his SPIRIT. Technique without spirit is empty. You should also ignore all ideas of 'winning' in 'competitive sports' in Aikido. The spirit of Aikido is just that, spiritual harmony and personal development. Sports have rules - martial arts deal with real life. Nuff said.

#125311 - 10/17/02 01:36 AM Re: Don't think aikido is effective self-defense
senseilou Offline
Professional Poster

I agree with those who say it takes sometime to develope Aiki and use it effectively. I think it is CONTROL that is the tough thing to learn. Indeed there are 'hard' styles of Aiki, but still it is a control factor. A break is nothing more than a lock, continued.
However, the idea that it takes a longer time to learn certain techniques is somewhat questionable. I have seen Nidans and Sandans in Aikido who have practiced for 10-15 years and their technique is not appreciably better than some Brown Belts. In some Aikido schools, the Black Belts "swish" their Hakama's around, look good, correct but don't improve one bit. If you do martial arts for 20 years and your technique looks the same as it did 10 years ago, you haven't improved and you haven't trained for 20 years. You trained for 10 and glided for another 10. It does take time to develope control and refine technique, but if done wrong 10, 15 or 20 years won't make you better. A Shihan in Aiki told me it is better to do one thing good and know what you are doing than 10 things bad and not know

#125312 - 10/30/02 04:15 PM Re: Don't think aikido is effective self-defense
niteshift Offline
Stranger

Loc: las vegas
The effectiveness of Aikido depends on experience and level of mastery.

Does a mechanic overhaul transmissions on his first day of training?

My Sensai once said " In Aikido, the attacker provides the energy and we simply provide the direction." I love that statement.

I thank O' Sensai and the Universe everyday for bringing the practice/philosophy of Aikido into the world. I don't want to fight people anymore. I feel much better about things too. But know this, there are some very experienced people where I practice, and I have no doubts as to their skills lethalness. Not to mention that our instructors like to incorporate lots of different things into the lesson, which serves to really broaden the martial arts foundation for me.

Have you guys ever seen "the seven samurai"?

#125313 - 11/09/02 10:03 PM Re: Don't think aikido is effective self-defense
Philo2002 Offline

Loc: OrangeCo, CA
But how effective is Aikido compared to Wing Chun, which was built as a deadly offensive art.

#125314 - 11/11/02 12:43 AM Re: Don't think aikido is effective self-defense
senseilou Offline
Professional Poster

I don't think you can compare arts against each other. I talked with a Grandmaster once and he said that styles were not created to face other styles. While I see what he is saying, I think several Ryu-ha from Japan's early years were exactly created to combat other Ryu-ha. However if you look at any Aiki art it is hard to compare against any other non Aiki art. It's how the art is practiced, not a general comparison. I saw a small extremely rough Aikido Shihan injure 3 of his uke's because they could not keep up with his technique. It was at a time where there were severe critics of Aikido. I think he was trying to prove a point. I have also seen Aikido done like Tai Chi, and doubt very seriously if these Aikidoka could even defend themselves. I saw Shotokan karate combined with Aikido and the result was pretty functional, and this is odd because I think Shotokan and Aikido are on opposite ends of the spectrum. Also, it depends on the practioner. A good Aikidoka versus a medicore Karate-ka the Aikidoka may win out. Based on the purpose of the art, they are often hard to compare, and each one in his own art believes his art to be the best and most effective. Any art that punches and kicks will have an advantage over one that doesn't. Any art that locks, will have an advantage over one that doesn't. It seems to me you need a striking art-locking art-grappling art and weapon art to be complete.

#125315 - 11/19/02 02:35 AM Re: Don't think aikido is effective self-defense
Cato Offline
Veteran

I'd have to agree with you here, Lou. It is more or less impossible, not ot mention pointless, to compare two martial arts and decide on a winner. Wing Chun may well have been designed as a deadly offensive art, but aikido is firmly based on an equally deadly defensive art, so how can you say which is better? It's the artist that is important in a fight, and not necessarily the art.

#125316 - 01/18/03 02:15 AM Re: Don't think aikido is effective self-defense
Jamoni Offline
Veteran

Loc: St. Louis, MO, USA
Aikido contains within it the elements to defend yourself very succesfully. The "problem" lies in that Aikido requires restraint on the part of it's practitioners. It's easy to break a jaw or gouge an eye, it's not so easy to show an attacker the error of his ways while protecting both you and him from his aggression. Also, most Aikido stylists never practice their techniques against other styles, thus leading to the stereotyped rude awakening of Aikido vs Boxing (or beerbottle, or single leg takedown, etc.) You fight how you train.

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga