FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 66 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
osibolyxu, SamasTactical, Mustafa, kritesh, AlfonsoGrey37
23185 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
kickbutt 2
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
New Topics
History of Tae Kwon Do
by
05/07/05 10:39 PM
Recent Posts
History of Tae Kwon Do
by kickbutt
09/07/18 06:28 AM
Forum Stats
23185 Members
36 Forums
35694 Topics
432749 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#125297 - 12/26/01 05:18 PM Re: Don't think aikido is effective self-defense
martinnitram Offline

Loc: england
aikido is very effective for self defense, no question about it.

#125298 - 12/28/01 02:35 PM Re: Don't think aikido is effective self-defense
judderman Offline
Veteran

Loc: UK
[QUOTE]Hello,
Trying to build a paridise on earth utilizing a Martial Art,is just like when we were fighting in Nam for peace.
Your Brother in the Arts[unQUOTE]

Oh dear.
What of the beautiful paradox that is the martial arts??

We learn to fight so that we never have to...

Budo.

#125299 - 01/18/02 05:53 PM Re: Don't think aikido is effective self-defense
gedanate Offline
Stranger

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia.
Aikido works as an effective method of self defense, even combat. Ask the Tokyo riot police who have two sections especially trained in Aikido. One group uses Yoshinkan style Aikido (as founded by Gozo Shioda) and the other uses Shodokan Aikido (as founded by Kenji Tomiki).
Tomiki style Aikido is sometimes called Sport Aikido because it includes randori, (just like Judo). It even has Shiaii (Tournaments) in which you defend yourself from at attacker with a rubber tanto (dagger). This attacker knows every technique you know and will do his best to counter every technique you can throw at him. (Pun intended.) After defending for 3 minutes, it becomes your turn to take the dagger and attack your opponent. Points are scored for clean "kills" to the heart only, or for clean Aikido throws. It is extremely challenging and really tests your skill.
However, you cannot compete at this kind of level until you have at least three or five years experience, just to handle the energetic breakfalls without being creamed. Even the best practitioners have to start slowly and safely as beginners, or they'd all be hospitalized. Whatever style.
Think about it.
Gedanate.
More info on my web site at http://www.gedanate.com/aikido.html

[This message has been edited by gedanate (edited 01-18-2002).]

#125300 - 06/14/02 08:46 AM Re: Don't think aikido is effective self-defense
jonasrenma Offline
Stranger

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
I know that this question has already been asked, but it has not been answered. What are the good Aikido and/or aiki-jutsu schools in New York? I have heard that there are some very good schools here, but have been unable to locate them. I think that others posting here would appreciate hearing about all posibilities.

Thank you

[This message has been edited by jonasrenma (edited 06-14-2002).]

#125301 - 07/25/02 10:47 AM Re: Don't think aikido is effective self-defense
eclectic1 Offline
Stranger

Loc: Yuma, AZ
Whether Aikido is effective or not is a good topic.

I'm a big believer in Jeet Kune Do Concepts. I teach an Aikido class, but I also teach Jui Jitsu, Boxing, Kickboxing, and Kali/Escrima/Arnis.

One of the first things that needs to be understood about Aikido is that most Aikido techniques are based on a "comitted attack". Usually the Uke (attacker) needs to provide directed energy (such as moving forward). So often times Aikidokas have difficulty dealing with "non-comitted" attacks (such as a boxer's jab).

The simple truth is that it just takes a greater understanding of Aikido and fighting in general to be able to apply Aikido against different types of attacks.

JKD takes the approach of "using the superior art at the moment". This doesn't mean that I can't use Aikido on the ground. It just means that because of my background in wrestling & Brazilian Jui Jitsu I can see where I can apply Aikido while on the ground. When dealing with a boxer - because I boxed for several years before learning Aikido you can see places where Aikido can be applied (example: closing the gap and getting to the clinch). A person that hasn't had some experience boxing is going to have a really difficult time closing the gap on a boxer. The same theory applies to grappling, and weapons.

Note: There are a lot of people that practice Aikido for reasons other then self defense. Some practictioners are heavily geared toward self defense, and incorporate concepts from other arts. Some practitioners do Aikido for the mental, spiritual, physical benefits. This applies to the students, as well as the teachers. A lot of instructors like the soft aikido that is very spiritual, and several instructors like Combat Aikido.

Other similar arts (joint manipulation type arts):
Kali-Silat
Pentjak Silat
Bando

#125302 - 07/25/02 12:07 PM Re: Don't think aikido is effective self-defense
NAUMatt Offline

Loc: Flagstaff, AZ, USA
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Brewer:
Hello,
Trying to build a paridise on earth utilizing a Martial Art,is just like when we were fighting in Nam for peace.
Your Brother in the Arts
[/QUOTE]

I strongly disagree with you here. The best martial artists I have ever seen have won every fight they've been in... by not fighting at all.

Peace and Love

#125303 - 07/25/02 12:16 PM Re: Don't think aikido is effective self-defense
NAUMatt Offline

Loc: Flagstaff, AZ, USA
I mainly study shotokan karate, but have dabbled a little in several other arts. I took one aikido class as I was looking for a new dojo once, and learned one move. Though I don't know what it's called, it's the one where the uke comes in with an over-hand chop, and you perform and up block with your opposite side (your left to his right), catch his wrist, step into him, and use your body's torque to throw him across you to the ground. This is a basic attack for anyone holding almost any weapon imaginable. My training partner and I were sparring once with foam daggers and he attacked me overhand like that, and I must say I was quite impressed with the simplicity (and much pleasing effectiveness [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG] ), of that move. Needless to say, it surprised the hell out of him, too!Like others have said, it's all in what you take from it.

Peace and Love

#125304 - 07/30/02 06:43 PM Re: Don't think aikido is effective self-defense
Michael Offline
Stranger

Loc: Finland
I have tried judo, hapkido, hanmudo and taekwondo (from one to three years each)for now, and i have seen alot of aikido techniques and practising. After all my intrest in martial arts i've constantly made the notice that if one want's to be able to defend himself on the streets, he has to be VERY good in martial arts, or just learn it the hard way, in the streets. I've been very disappointed how little martial art skills have to do with actual fighting, especially if the combat style is of the art is not very realistic.
I have to say that i agree with aikido not being a very good art of self-defence, it does have its own values, but does it work? The confession i got from a relative, a keen aikido trainer was a depressed "nope..".

#125305 - 07/31/02 02:43 AM Re: Don't think aikido is effective self-defense
joesixpack Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Australia
Michael,

I have been studying a Shorin based style of karate for almost a decade, half of my life. I would indeed be depressed if I found out I could defend myself no more than an untrained, unfit and a more reckless person of my age.

For how long has your relative been practiscing aikido? I am sure aikido has effective techniques. The base of the style is Daito Ryu Aikijujustu, and there is more focus on flow and redirecting energy.

Some techniques we practisce we stole. Some of the books have techniques I have practisced and know to be effective. Your relative needs more practice.

Which martial art is the most effective? The one the common man on the street has the most irrational fear of. Unless they carry a weapon or are a street crim.

#125306 - 08/07/02 02:03 AM Re: Don't think aikido is effective self-defense
Aikidoka Offline
Stranger

Loc: NSW
Aikido is very effective, the only problem is that it takes a veeery long time to be able to use it effectively for self defence. If someone starts doing Aikido and expects to be able to defend themselves in only 2 or 3 years they had better try karate or something, while you may learn some things to help if you are attacked you don't know how to use them effectively so they probably won't work.
The power of Aikido when done by a master is incredible, I have seen many Aikido Shihan train and felt their power and believe me it works!!!. The major problem is people these days want everything "now", they're not willing to put in the decades of training it takes to master the Martial Arts.
As for the comments on co-operation, In one of his books Dave Lowry describes Ukemi as "falling on your own terms" this is so true, the reason we learn Ukemi is to be able to react to whatever may come from our opponent in this way you can minimize the injuries you recieve and react to unexpected situations automatically.
If your looking to learn self defence quick, learn boxing it will be very effective on the street and it takes comparitively less time to learn the basics.
Just some thoughts!!

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga