FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 25 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ronin1966 3
futsaowingchun 3
AndyLA 1
GojuRyuboy13 1
Matakiant 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by cxt
10/10/14 10:08 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35581 Topics
432508 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Topic Options
#125094 - 04/21/05 09:10 AM Training/Performance Issues
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi everyone. I have been taking Tae Kwon Do for about 2 years now. I'm 36 years old (so I started late). My issue is (and I'm hoping someone else has experienced this) that I feel like at this point my skills have actually turned for the worse. I practice in the studio 4 days a week (and every night at home) and am very happy with my masters, but I feel like I'm just not improving right now (I feel like Im getting worse). My master says that it is normal for this to happen. He says that you will go on a down hill slope for a while, and then your skills will all of a sudden sky rocket to the next level. Has anyone experienced this. It's so frustrating, and I feel like he might be telling me this in order to ease my frustration so I don't lose interest. Anyone have any thoughts on this.

Thanks,
Ufaded

#125095 - 04/21/05 10:23 AM Re: Training/Performance Issues
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well it depends on what "skills" are not improving. Sure there is a time in training where the skills get more difficult and it seems that you are not improving, then you try too hard. Trying too hard is one way you cheat yourself. Keep trying, but when one thing proves too difficult, move to another. Eventually as you continue your training, things will fall into place.

#125096 - 04/21/05 12:12 PM Re: Training/Performance Issues
Anonymous
Unregistered

pwrkikn is exactly right, but without knowing in more detail what you're referring to, there's no way to suggest anything.

Understand though, we all hit plateau's, so no, your instructor is not BSing you.

#125097 - 04/21/05 12:55 PM Re: Training/Performance Issues
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey Ufaded, I'm 36 as well and have been doing Taekwondo for 2 years 7 months. I know exactly what you are talking about. My instructor has imparted the same to me as well.

Things I found easy earlier on like spinning reverse turn kicks I'm now struggling with. Even sometimes when I'm roundhousing it just doesn't feel right. I could name many other things but you probably feel the same way.

As I'm typing this I'm also thinking could it be that we are now coming to a level in our training and realizing that the skills we are doing could be done better and we are only being more critical because we know more. That we actually haven't got worse but we are nowing picking ourselves apart and this is the way we develop better skills?

I want to be better then what I am. When I become a black belt I want to be strong and show good form and just be what I think a black belt should be. Maybe this will make us work harder to become this person. Or maybe we are in a lull and have to hit rock bottom first before we can pick ourselves up and work again to those levels.

No matter what, as long as we continue and don't quite, then we are a head of the game. I hope yours and my training exeed even our expectations.

#125098 - 04/21/05 02:12 PM Re: Training/Performance Issues
Anonymous
Unregistered

Too Funny, I was just about to sit down and explain what I meant, but Dereck seems to have hit the nail on the head. I feel that even my roundhouse has gone for the worse. Sometimes even relaxing while doing my forms seems difficult. I really hope this is a slump, or better yet (like Dereck said), I hope I am being overly critical. Unfortunately I just think I am in a slump. Also I find it wierd that I really notice my faults when we are doinf drills, but not when we spar. My sparring I feel has gotten better (maybe less thought about what I am doing when I spar?). Anyways, thanks for all your replies.

Ufaded

#125099 - 04/22/05 07:44 AM Re: Training/Performance Issues
Anonymous
Unregistered

Unfaded.

LOL. There is NOTHING wrong with you. You are becoming aware. A white belt is not taught a RoundHouse the way a black belt does it. We learn in steps. Your instructor doesn't hang a sign saying Step 2, then 3. He just shows it to you. What you thought at one time was great, now appears mediocre. That's because it was great for that level. Now you're moving up, and you're beginning to notice. As I've said before, being a BB doesn't mean you've mastered the art, it means you're ready to begin learning the art. You are aware....

Regards,

hint: NEVER forget your basics.

#125100 - 04/22/05 08:26 AM Re: Training/Performance Issues
Anonymous
Unregistered

If you have been practicing like you said you do and you feel your skills are degrading, I only have one thing to say. Don't worry about it. If you could do a techinque before, but you can't do it now, it might be over training and this is when it becomes a mind thing.
Your body already knows how to preform a techinque, but if you become a slave to a certain techinque than it can be your worst enemy. Take some time off and practice something that you are more comfortable with. And I gurantee the next time you try techique it will be smoother, faster and harder than before.

#125101 - 04/22/05 10:57 AM Re: Training/Performance Issues
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thank you so much everyone. I feel a little better now. It's still frustrating though. On another note, is anyone from the california area going to the competition in Whittier on April 30? If so I'll see you there.

Ufaded

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga