FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 35 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 2
jwwmantis 2
Beefcake 1
LeroyCFischer 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Chum Kiu's double Tan Sau motion
by futsaowingchun
Today at 10:08 AM
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Chum Kiu's double Tan Sau motion
by futsaowingchun
Today at 10:08 AM
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35592 Topics
432527 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#123327 - 01/17/05 10:55 AM My instructor is strict!
Anonymous
Unregistered

i do taekwond in qatar and im quite good. im currently a yellow belt. my class has blue belts ,red eblts. black belts and mostly high coulored ranks. My instructor is really strict. The students in my class are all very good( thsi has a link)
for instance ,there is these 8 year old red belt and he does good kicks but the teacher puches him anyway! anyway hes a really good teacher. The problem is that compared to teh class, im not that good!
im only really god at the side kick! thats all!
any advice out there? [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/frown.gif[/IMG]

#123328 - 01/17/05 11:39 AM Re: My instructor is strict!
Anonymous
Unregistered

It might be different in your culture, but in the culture within which I currently reside it's generally frowned upon for a martial art instructor to punch eight year olds because they have a deficiency of some skill.

Having said that, you'll have to be more specific in asking for advice. If we don't know what you're especially weak at, all we can do is tell you to train more.

#123329 - 01/17/05 11:44 AM Re: My instructor is strict!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wait wait wait! Your Master punches people? Physically abusive is differant from strict teaching, ESPECIALLY if the student is young, you said 8 year old. That is just wrong... I would seek lessons elsewhere. If you enjoy being beat up by your master, that's fine, too. I understand that Qatar is a much tougher country that the States, but I just don't like the sound of that. Is that typical?

#123330 - 01/17/05 11:50 AM Re: My instructor is strict!
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Pink_belt:
i do taekwond in qatar and im quite good. im currently a yellow belt.[/QUOTE]

Not sure what "qatar" is? Yellow belt is awesome. I liked it when I finally received a colored belt. I was very proud.

[QUOTE]My class has blue belts ,red eblts. black belts and mostly high coulored ranks.[/QUOTE]

I would hope that there are other colored belts in your class.

[QUOTE]My instructor is really strict. The students in my class are all very good( thsi has a link)for instance ,there is these 8 year old red belt and he does good kicks but the teacher puches him anyway! anyway hes a really good teacher.[/QUOTE]

Strict or disciplined? With younger students I find you have to impart on them that there is only one person that talks in class ... the instructor. Talking out of turn or general horsing around is not tolerated. I'm also thinking you meant pushed and not punched? As in he pushes them hard ... not actual push such as a shove. You may need to clarify this more.

I'm glad you find your teacher very good. Without a good teacher there sometimes is no use being trained or continuing. Let him/her know that you feel this way. They like to hear this.

[QUOTE]The problem is that compared to teh class, im not that good! im only really god at the side kick! thats all!
any advice out there?
[/QUOTE]

The only advise I would suggest is to stick with it. As you said you are only a yellow belt, this is a good start. As you learn more you will get better. Push yourself but don't expect to learn everything over night. Ask any belt higher then you, they probably felt the same way. I did and still do. Good luck in your training.

Side Note: Not to harp on you but you should make sure that you are spelling things in your post correctly and re-read it before you send it. This will eliminate people not understanding you. I find that many won't answer posts if they think the person sending it does not understand the basic language.

[This message has been edited by Dereck (edited 01-18-2005).]

#123331 - 01/17/05 12:00 PM Re: My instructor is strict!
nekogami13 V2.0 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Texas, USA
Background:

Ruled by the Al Thani family since the mid-1800s, Qatar transformed itself from a poor British protectorate noted mainly for pearling into an independent state with significant oil and natural gas revenues. During the late 1980s and early 1990s, the Qatari economy was crippled by a continuous siphoning off of petroleum revenues by the amir, who had ruled the country since 1972. He was overthrown by his son, the current Amir HAMAD bin Khalifa Al Thani, in a bloodless coup in 1995. In 2001, Qatar resolved its longstanding border disputes with both Bahrain and Saudi Arabia. Oil and natural gas revenues enable Qatar to have a per capita income not far below the leading industrial countries of Western Europe.

Geography
Qatar
Top of Page

Middle East, peninsula bordering the Persian Gulf and Saudi Arabia

Geographic coordinates:

25 30 N, 51 15 E

Area:

total: 11,437 sq km
land: 11,437 sq km
water: 0 sq km

Area - comparative:

slightly smaller than Connecticut

Land boundaries:

total: 60 km
border countries: Saudi Arabia 60 km

Coastline:

563 km

Maritime claims:

territorial sea: 12 nm
contiguous zone: 24 nm
exclusive economic zone: as determined by bilateral agreements or the median line

Climate:

arid; mild, pleasant winters; very hot, humid summers

Terrain:

mostly flat and barren desert covered with loose sand and gravel

Elevation extremes:

lowest point: Persian Gulf 0 m
highest point: Qurayn Abu al Bawl 103 m

Natural resources:

petroleum, natural gas, fish

Land use:

arable land: 1.64%
permanent crops: 0.27%
other: 98.09% (2001)

Irrigated land:

130 sq km (1998 est.)

Natural hazards:

haze, dust storms, sandstorms common

Environment - current issues:

limited natural fresh water resources are increasing dependence on large-scale desalination facilities

Population:

840,290 (July 2004 est.)

Age structure:

0-14 years: 24.2% (male 103,660; female 99,597)
15-64 years: 72.7% (male 426,559; female 184,067)
65 years and over: 3.1% (male 19,306; female 7,101) (2004 est.)

Median age:

total: 31.4 years
male: 36.7 years
female: 22 years (2004 est.)

Population growth rate:

2.74% (2004 est.)

Birth rate:

15.6 births/1,000 population (2004 est.)

Death rate:

4.52 deaths/1,000 population (2004 est.)- CIA World Factbook http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/qa.html

#123332 - 01/17/05 01:08 PM Re: My instructor is strict!
Anonymous
Unregistered

nekogami13 V2.0, thank you for the history/geography lesson. I had thought a spelling error due to others in the original post. My bad.

#123333 - 01/18/05 11:31 AM Re: My instructor is strict!
Anonymous
Unregistered

i do taekwond in qatar and im quite good. im currently a yellow belt. my class has blue belts ,red eblts. black belts and mostly high coulored ranks. My instructor is really strict. The students in my class are all very good( thsi has a link)
for instance ,there is these 8 year old red belt and he does good kicks but the teacher puches him anyway! anyway hes a really good teacher. The problem is that compared to teh class, im not that good!
any advice out there? [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/frown.gif[/IMG]
[/QUOTE]

If you're only a Yellow Belt, you should be proud you are capable of doing ANY kick well. Stick with it. It'll come to you as your body mechanics mature.

As far as that whole punching an 8 year old, we don't play that over here. If an instructor tried to punch my 8 year old, he'd better be ready to take me on first.

#123334 - 01/19/05 11:06 PM Re: My instructor is strict!
Anonymous
Unregistered

hey poeple. i think i well " explanied some things the wrong way. Yeh , i didnt wanna say that the instructor physically abuses the poeple . Hes a good instuctor. Hes makes the children have disipline. He does smack the kids with black and red belts sometimes but not others. If he didnt the class wouldnt have discipline.

I also wanted to say thanks for the advice. I kinda felt weird in teh class but now i fell much more welcome. Anyway,we focuz more on exercise anmd fitness than the kicks and stuff. Infact ,i know most of the patterns. I only need to no the 1st and 2nd,But i no up to the 4th. heheheh.Well im not braggin!

Anyway, i dunno all this research on qatar. But i was born in england lived there for 11 years then i moved to qatar . And trust me its not that strict man. Its like a free country! it is a freeeeeee country!

Ill be moving back to england this year!
yeepeeeeeee!

#123335 - 01/20/05 04:44 PM Re: My instructor is strict!
Lokkan-Do Offline
Veteran

Loc: Ontario, Canada
[/QUOTE]

Give yourself some more time....try stretching and some strengthing exercises...to wake up those unused muscles.

You'll be okay.

Lok

#123336 - 01/21/05 02:58 AM Re: My instructor is strict!
Anonymous
Unregistered

i think thats the problem.
I used to be very fast and good at exercises.
however, whenevr i go to taekwondo i feel like im really bad.
Exercise is meant to give u a good feeling.
That doesnt really count for me..
i think ina few weeks ill get better. My muscles will gain powere ,ill become more fit and all that ......

1. study
2. be fit
3. get a good job
4..ummm....and then die

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga