FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 49 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 4
Ronin1966 3
ergees 1
Victor Smith 1
swordy 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
Recent Posts
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by cxt
10/10/14 10:08 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35582 Topics
432509 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10 11 >
Topic Options
#123033 - 01/08/05 10:14 PM Re: Tae Kwon Do vs Karate
kempo_jujitsu Offline
Veteran

Loc: illinois, usa
agent..then why practice kata at all? if 3 or 4 moves is all you need out of each one, then why not just learn those 3 or 4 moves?

#123034 - 01/10/05 02:45 PM Re: Tae Kwon Do vs Karate
Anonymous
Unregistered

Kata is not needed to be effective you said that yourself. The purpose of kata is to present several different methods so that the INDIVIDUAL can choose and isolate the types of offensive and defensive movements that work for them. The same 4 moves might not work for everyone but a different person may get a different yet equally effective set of applications for the same 4 movements. Katas about adaptation and the individuals strenghs and weakness. Its main purpose being to build attributes like speed, balance and fluidity.

#123035 - 01/11/05 08:40 AM Re: Tae Kwon Do vs Karate
cxt Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: USA
Kempo_Jutsu

"Why practice kata at all"

Off the top of my head.

-Because its required--don't much care for some aspects of my job--but I kinda like being able to pay my rent--so I do them.

If your asking someone to teach you their art--then you should learn what they teach--if later you don't want to use it--thats your business-but while your in class you should do what the teacher wants.

You going to tell your boxing coach that you want to learn boxing but you don't want to do roadwork or skip rope?

-Because the kata are another way to practice techniques--besides on the heavybag.

#123036 - 01/11/05 11:41 AM Re: Tae Kwon Do vs Karate
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey Neo. I would suggest try classes of each and then determine what you want. If you already have good kicking abilities you may do very well in either, maybe more so in Taekwondo. If you choose Taekwondo look to see if the teacher also incorporates Hapkito as many do. This will give you some ground work, tossing, leg sweeps, arm bars, blocks, strikes, etc. I honestly believe that the teacher and what he/she teaches is better then a specific martial art.

Contrary to belief, not all Taekwondo schools are sport orientated. Again look and ask questions. Forms are prevelant in most martial arts and our Basic Pattern that is learned in Taekwondo is also learned in Shotokan Karate. In WTF Taekwondo you will find full contact sparring and this is extremely useful for speed, agility and being able to read your opponent. Not to mention you can get used to being hit thus taking some of that fear away.

No matter what you choose, choose for yourself and what you want. Try some classes, talk to the teacher(s) and students. Here is a link to a website that explains most martial arts. You may find that others are what you are looking for. Keep an open mind. Good Luck.
http://usadojo.com/martial-arts-styles/about-arts.htm

#123037 - 01/11/05 05:45 PM Re: Tae Kwon Do vs Karate
kempo_jujitsu Offline
Veteran

Kata is not needed to be effective you said that yourself. The purpose of kata is to present several different methods so that the INDIVIDUAL can choose and isolate the types of offensive and defensive movements that work for them. The same 4 moves might not work for everyone but a different person may get a different yet equally effective set of applications for the same 4 movements. Katas about adaptation and the individuals strenghs and weakness. Its main purpose being to build attributes like speed, balance and fluidity.

agreed, yet the fact remains that you do not get what i am saying, yes you can choose from the "multitude of techniques" in kata, you may indeed find only a few for yourself, but the fact remains that kata has a PLETHORA of possibilities. that is my point. whether or not you choose to study them, use them or whatever is up to you. but they ARE there...even in a DO art.
and about the "minute variations"...get the book, and you will see what i am failing at trying to say here lol
using the same technique in a variety of situations, from blocks, grabs, strikes, and holds...is not something i would call minute variations.

#123038 - 01/12/05 12:40 AM Re: Tae Kwon Do vs Karate
Anonymous
Unregistered

I didn't know by my first post here, I'll learn way more then I could possibly from anywhere else. Thank you guys. I really appreciated.

#123039 - 01/12/05 05:24 PM Re: Tae Kwon Do vs Karate
kempo_jujitsu Offline
Veteran

actually, if you want to learn, join a good school [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

#123040 - 01/12/05 10:21 PM Re: Tae Kwon Do vs Karate
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi guys, GooseTKD here from Australia, just registered especially so that I could reply to this forum. It seems that there are some misconceptions about Taekwondo that need to be ironed out. This is my oppinion as a practitioner of TKD for the last 5 years and having reached my 9th gup (next is Cho Dan Bo, then black belt).

TKD is not a martial sport, it is a MARTIAL ART in all aspects. Yes a lot of people use it because it has been adopted as a sport in the Olympics but do not forget its history. TKD was developed in Korea (origionally called Taekyon and Subak) and was used as a countermeasure against invasions from neighbouring countries, usually performed on horseback. This resulted in TKD's use of high and powerful kicks and more of a focus on kicks rather than hand strikes.

Hand techniques and self defence are a major part of TKD still and are a permanent part of the gradings where a student has to perform a set number of kicking, punching and blocking techniques, as well as demonstrate capable fighting ability, self defence techniques ad breaking capabilities.

The use of taeguks (patterns) in tkd are used to traing the body in the set motions that define the martial art. Each pattern has a reason behind the kind of stances and the patterns that they form when viewed from above. Go to the WTF website for a more detailed explanation (www.wtf.org). Taeguks are as much a part of TKD as kicks are, they form the basic building blocks of the art of TKD and are linked to the spiritual aspect of the TKD philisophy of Yin and Yang.

As for TKD vs Karate. There is a big difference both in the history but also in the fighting style itself. Yes all martial arts share common components. But TKD and Karate differ a lot in the execution and use of the techniques each ises. Karate in general is a very low fighting style employing strong low stances. TKD on the other hand uses high fluid stances predominately and is a more fre flowing than some Karate styles.

#123041 - 01/13/05 02:02 AM Re: Tae Kwon Do vs Karate
Anonymous
Unregistered

Tae Kwon Do has no link to Subak, and at best a tenuous link to Taekkyon. Tae Kwon Do did not exist until after World War II, and was certainly not developed to fight against cavalry from invading countries. Long sticks with bits of metal attached on the end are generally much more effective, much safer for the user, and require much less training time to use effectively for that purpose.

Having said that, there's no doubt Tae Kwon Do has roots in martial art. It's a direct descendant of Karate, which is generally considered to be a martial art. Same basic material. They just differ in the emphasis and developmental trends. Karate has for the most part remained the same since the 50s, though there's been a movement towards deeper analysis of kata for throwing and locking applications. TKD has generally moved towards sport, to the point that some schools teach material that's only suited for ring use and would probably get you killed in real combat. That's not to say there aren't sport Karate schools or TKD instructors emphasizing practical value though. Just general trends.

#123042 - 01/13/05 03:33 PM Re: Tae Kwon Do vs Karate
Corruptor Offline

Hey Neo

Best thing to do is find a few different Martial Arts Schools and pay them a visit. Speak to the Instructors and students, ask to see the instructors certificate to see if he or she is properly qualified. Also find out who there instructor is and check to see if they have a first aid certificate. Find out how much classes, uniforms and gradings will cost and ask if it is vital you get a uniform. Also check out Internet sites as well for information. Take part in the different classes and see what is best for you and maybe try buying a martial arts magazine for information.

Hope this might help

Cheers
Corruptor

Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10 11 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga