FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 44 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 4
Ronin1966 3
GojuRyuboy13 1
Matakiant 1
cxt 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
Recent Posts
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by cxt
10/10/14 10:08 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35582 Topics
432509 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#122477 - 12/07/04 09:02 PM Re: tea kwon do vs tackling/take downs
nekogami13 V2.0 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Texas, USA
Kylejustkyle gets it, good post.
Those of you who want to try to strike and not sprawl or learn other mechanicaly effective techniques, learn to fall really really really well.

#122478 - 12/19/04 05:36 AM Re: tea kwon do vs tackling/take downs
Anonymous
Unregistered

take a sidekick to there head it will nudge them back or a jumping/exchange front snap kick/front rising kick/flying high kick. when you land get them with a punch/back hand strike that will defenately if you have enough power take THEM down

#122479 - 12/19/04 10:15 AM Re: tea kwon do vs tackling/take downs
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Matthewmacintyre:
take a sidekick to there head it will nudge them back or a jumping/exchange front snap kick/front rising kick/flying high kick. when you land get them with a punch/back hand strike that will defenately if you have enough power take THEM down [/QUOTE]

I hate to revisit this thread, but this is a really bad answer. If the guy's just rushing you a head sidekick might work, but why meet force with force? When you execute the side kick you're on one leg, if the guy has any mass to him the impact will also put you badly off balance, possibly grounding you. If he manages to deflect your kick you're on the ground for sure, probably starting off in side or back mount.

Against a skilled takedown attempt it just won't work. By the time you see him dropping level/approaching for the shoot and start raising your leg for the kick, he's going to be close enough to stuff your kick attempt or just grab your leg outright. You've given him the takedown.

I'm not sure what your second answer is, I wish martial artists and their schools would agree to some form of standardized vocabulary. It sounds to me like a jumping kick of some sort? He's lower than you, his head level is about your waist level. He's also almost close enough to reach his arms around and warp around your legs. You don't have the space to do a full jump kick of any sort, and by jumping you've just guaranteed your takedown again. He doesn't even have to wrap your legs well, just drive through. You could try a jumping knee, but then his forward momentum will probably put you on the ground anyway.

#122480 - 12/25/04 05:21 PM Re: tea kwon do vs tackling/take downs
Anonymous
Unregistered

most school in my area teach HAPKIDO as while as TAE KWON DO and hapkido truly do work good in close up fighting, i,m also started taking judo been in it for about two year and i think i,m rounding myself off pretty good. like tacobill said cross training is a good ideal each martial arts have there own move that work in different way`s. hapkido is good if you get grab, tak kwon do is good for more than one attacker judo is good when someone grab you and as while as helping out when ur on the ground so cross training is the key.

#122481 - 12/25/04 05:45 PM Re: tea kwon do vs tackling/take downs
Anonymous
Unregistered

I don't get in here very often but this thread got my interest.

In my opinion, it is just short of pure fantasy to imagine you can precision kick a grappler who is in the middle of a double leg shot. Also, the flying knee is not effective when you are unable to initiate. It requires forward drive, something you will not have in this situation.

Learn to sprawl, period. Learn to clinch, period. These skills will allow you to at least deny a grappler an easy prey.

#122482 - 12/25/04 07:05 PM Re: tea kwon do vs tackling/take downs
Anonymous
Unregistered

lol funny story, this is NOT what you should do in that situation: guy tried to tackle me once before i knew any training, and i just grabbed his throat and hung on for dear life. kinda funny cause it worked but i was really really really lucky to even get a hold of it and keeping it.

anywho, i use the SPEAR stuff for tackles, or you could sprawl, i've used that before. or you could do a straight side step, but only if your quick at 3 ft away. Another one i've used is a back/side angled step and then hinging on it while pushing the dude out of the way.

just whatever works for you, if you can do a liu kang flying kick and work it in that situation, then by all means, MORTAL KOMBAT!

#122483 - 12/25/04 07:24 PM Re: tea kwon do vs tackling/take downs
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think to often we assume TKD is all about using our feet. Punches, elbows, and knee strikes are part of the system as well as basic restraint and takedown techniques. However, it doesn't hurt to cross train in styles that better deal with certain situations better than others. I believe TKD can defend well against the tackle in initial stage but if the attacker gets his arms around you and you start to go down it becomes a different fight from there.

#122484 - 12/25/04 08:30 PM Re: tea kwon do vs tackling/take downs
nekogami13 V2.0 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Texas, USA
Any trained fighter should be able to handle a "tackle" by an untrained person rushing at them.
The bigger concern is when a semi-skilled or skilled person who goes for a takedown.
Tackling and takedown are not the same thing, they are very different animals.

Just reread the title of the thread-should be able to throw your tea cup at them [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/tongue.gif[/IMG]

#122485 - 12/25/04 10:14 PM Re: tea kwon do vs tackling/take downs
Anonymous
Unregistered

Train in Hapkido. Tae Kwon Do and Hapkido techniques were originally taught side by side, they're meant to work that way.

A warrior should be skilled in combat at all ranges. If you have weaknesses your enemies can take advantage of them.

#122486 - 12/26/04 10:27 AM Re: tea kwon do vs tackling/take downs
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Subedei:
Train in Hapkido. Tae Kwon Do and Hapkido techniques were originally taught side by side, they're meant to work that way. [/QUOTE]

There is a hapkido school next the taekwondo school I used to train at, oh and a kumdo (the Korean equivalent of kendo) school a few doors further down. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG] (Really! Then again this is in an affluent part of Daejeon)

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga