FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 47 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
Dobbersky 3
MattJ 2
royal 2
cxt 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
Yesterday at 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
Yesterday at 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#122467 - 11/30/04 02:19 PM Re: tea kwon do vs tackling/take downs
Anonymous
Unregistered

A lot of you seem to be posting with the idea that takedowns == charging. It's probably what an unskilled person would use and it's good to know how to deal with it, but there's more to the takedown world. The takedowns of choice for grapplers are the single or double leg. The grappler will wrap his arms around the back of one or both your legs, and will either lift and slam or reap and drive to put you down. Trained grapplers, especially wrestlers, can shoot in very fast. If the grappler knows striking as well, he may move as close as trapping range, engaging/distracting you with strikes all the while, before going for the single or double leg. A lot of the suggestions in this thread just aren't going to work against that. Sprawling is the best response, and all martial artists practicing combatively need to know how to do it.

[This message has been edited by KylejustKyle (edited 11-30-2004).]

#122468 - 12/01/04 10:08 AM Re: tea kwon do vs tackling/take downs
Anonymous
Unregistered

First of all, in Taekwondo you should be able to keep your opponent away enough from you that you can simply kick them in a certain area, preferably the solar plex so you don't severely hurt them, just knock the wind out of them! But thats for fighting unexperienced people, for your question though, I would train in Jui Jitsu for a while. I did Taekwondo for 7 years, Jui Jitsu for 2 years, and have practiced a little Hapkido, and trust me, after taking a couple months of Jui Jitsu, your problem will be solved!

#122469 - 12/03/04 10:13 PM Re: tea kwon do vs tackling/take downs
Anonymous
Unregistered

Jujutsu has responses for that. But let us picture it TKD-wise... To tackle they are going to come at you full speed, tilted forward and the head low. You aren't going to check their speed or inertia by standing in place to deliver a kick.

But if you can wheel away to one side (just a bit aiki-like may I suggest) and in so doing maybe deliver the heel of your palm solidly to the side of their head... Well, might not something like that have a good effect?

#122470 - 12/06/04 12:07 PM Re: tea kwon do vs tackling/take downs
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am someone who has gained a black belt in Tae Kwon Do had several years of Muay Thai Kick boxing and am currently studying ninjitsu and all I can say that if you don't know what to do if someone is about to tackle you or is three feet away from you and you don't have time to use a powerful kick knock them to the ground if someone is running at you obviously you won't just be like DHur and get demolished think a little ahead that is what the martial arts are for perseption so that you can see when you might need to kick someone in the FACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#122471 - 12/06/04 04:23 PM Re: tea kwon do vs tackling/take downs
Anonymous
Unregistered

aplonis, you and I think very much alike! If someone is coming at you full tilt, get the heck out of the way! Either move to the side or do a spin or something to get to the attackers side, then nail them as hard as you can, either on the temple, or in the ear! If you can daze the attacker, you can either run, or if absolutely neccassary, you can create enough distance to reset & go at'em with quick powerful strikes! That's just me though. Peace!

#122472 - 12/07/04 05:27 AM Re: tea kwon do vs tackling/take downs
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by TKD-21:
I am someone who has gained a black belt in Tae Kwon Do had several years of Muay Thai Kick boxing and am currently studying ninjitsu and all I can say that if you don't know what to do if someone is about to tackle you or is three feet away from you and you don't have time to use a powerful kick knock them to the ground if someone is running at you obviously you won't just be like DHur and get demolished think a little ahead that is what the martial arts are for perseption so that you can see when you might need to kick someone in the FACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[/QUOTE]

I don't follow what you're saying at all. Are you saying that the best response to a takedown attempt is a kick to the face?

#122473 - 12/07/04 05:33 AM Re: tea kwon do vs tackling/take downs
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by aplonis:
But if you can wheel away to one side (just a bit aiki-like may I suggest) and in so doing maybe deliver the heel of your palm solidly to the side of their head... Well, might not something like that have a good effect?[/QUOTE]

That might work against an untrained drunk rushing you like an enraged monkey, but it's questionable whether it will work against a trained takedown attempt. Trained grapplers, especially wrestlers, are good at changing the direction of their takedown. It seems likely that by spinning you'd end up giving them a single leg takedown and your back. You're only slightly less likely to end up on the ground, but if you do it's more likely you'll be there face down.

#122474 - 12/07/04 03:55 PM Re: tea kwon do vs tackling/take downs
Anonymous
Unregistered

I must admitt that I called this one wrong the first time around. After a disscussion with my instructor, I was made to see the light! I am now convinced that KylejustKyle was right. The sprawl approach is your best shot in this case. My plan was o.k, if the attacker was incapable of adjusting to the dodge. When you think about it though, most people, trained or not, are going to shift their attack before you could reset and strike.

#122475 - 12/07/04 04:39 PM Re: tea kwon do vs tackling/take downs
Anonymous
Unregistered

Umm, theres other moves too. Gees, if they are going for your legs / waist for a takedown then I would prolly punch them in the temple (punch / backfist). You could also palm strike their ear and blow their eardrum. Not saying you should do this if your attacker is another kid (cos u wanna hurt a fellow kid but not cause too much damage).

I would possibly jump back and move left or right. The WORST thing you can do if someone wants to grapple you is move straight back cos they will just come back again and again.

The best thing you can do is evade back to give yourself time to think and try to open up the attacker. Dont go full on straight in cos thats not the point of martial arts.

Hope this helps

Scott

#122476 - 12/07/04 08:45 PM Re: tea kwon do vs tackling/take downs
Anonymous
Unregistered

Let me try to illustrate the problems with the stand and strike approach. In order for the vast majority of strikes to be effective, you have to root yourself with your legs to produce power for impact ( the rest are mostly low percentage highly targeted strikes ). If you don't root, your strikes will be relatively ineffective. Not all strikers train constant contact; all grapplers do so they're used to that sort of thing. When you do root, you've just given away the takedown for sure. Are you willing to trade one shot for the certainty that the rest of the fight is going to happen in the grappler's world, not yours? His hands are up and he's moving in and dropping level fast, you're unlikely to get a clean shot.

I don't know if some of you don't know what a sprawl is or what. Your legs are being attacked, so when you sprawl you move your legs back away from the attack while trying to redirect your opponent's incoming force downards. You can try to strike after that, without having to play the one die roll crapshoot above.

[This message has been edited by KylejustKyle (edited 12-08-2004).]

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga