FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 30 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 3
Ronin1966 3
GojuRyuboy13 2
ergees 1
swordy 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
10/22/14 07:20 AM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35582 Topics
432510 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#122487 - 12/26/04 09:33 PM Re: tea kwon do vs tackling/take downs
Anonymous
Unregistered

Overwhelming evidence shows that purely TKD simply doesn't work when faced with a grappler.
There is a video on subfighter.net that you can download, showing a brazilian jiujitsuist fighting a TKDer.
He chokes him out. Twice.

My advice: Crosstrain in a grappling art.

#122488 - 12/26/04 10:33 PM Re: tea kwon do vs tackling/take downs
Anonymous
Unregistered

I agree with all the cross training posts. Why limit yourself to one style. Almost any bio you read of a grandmaster will show you how many different arts they trained in. Here are some examples: www.bushido.org/~Circle/mceaddy.htm http://www.triplettacademy.com/stan.html
I am also in TKD. I have also started boxing, ninjutsu and hopefully taijutsu(2 days a month soon)
The more you know the better you will become.

#122489 - 12/27/04 12:59 AM Re: tea kwon do vs tackling/take downs
Anonymous
Unregistered

I dunno, I think it's better to stay within one style for quite a while before crosstraining if you intend to do so.
Too much crosstraining can leave you unfocused and screw up your stances among other things.

It should be noted however that I'd consider Tae Kwon Do and Hapkido exactly the same art for various historical reasons. They should not be taught alone if you intend to become a skilled fighter.

#122490 - 12/27/04 05:52 AM Re: tea kwon do vs tackling/take downs
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]
It should be noted however that I'd consider Tae Kwon Do and Hapkido exactly the same art for various historical reasons. They should not be taught alone if you intend to become a skilled fighter.[/QUOTE]

Why do you believe this to be so? Also you seem to be implying that Tae Kwon Do and Hapkido can be crosstrained together easily because they're very similar, or are in fact the same art. Does that mean it's ok to crosstrain similar styles such as Goju and Uechi Karate, but not ok to crosstrain very different styles such as Shotokan Karate and Judo?

#122491 - 12/27/04 12:14 PM Re: tea kwon do vs tackling/take downs
Anonymous
Unregistered

I thought Judo was the same as WWF wrestling, sorry, WWE wrestling, they changed it didnt they? How gay is that!?!

Most 11 year olds are trained quite well in WWE arnt they, it would certainly explain their bedrooms being so messy.

Scott

#122492 - 12/27/04 12:53 PM Re: tea kwon do vs tackling/take downs
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Nitronix:
I thought Judo was the same as WWF wrestling, sorry, WWE wrestling, they changed it didnt they? How gay is that!?!

Most 11 year olds are trained quite well in WWE arnt they, it would certainly explain their bedrooms being so messy.

Scott
[/QUOTE]

There are only so many ways you can project someone to the ground with force, so all styles of such techniques will look somewhat similar. I believe there are just three base throw types. Modern professional wrestling has roots in catch wrestling, which had techniques of this nature as well as joint manipulation techniques. Modern professional wrestlers are also innovative about their craft, and look to other sources for techniques they can adopt for ring use. Judo is one such source.

#122493 - 12/27/04 08:51 PM Re: tea kwon do vs tackling/take downs
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Subedei:
I dunno, I think it's better to stay within one style for quite a while before crosstraining if you intend to do so.
Too much crosstraining can leave you unfocused and screw up your stances among other things.

It should be noted however that I'd consider Tae Kwon Do and Hapkido exactly the same art for various historical reasons. They should not be taught alone if you intend to become a skilled fighter.
[/QUOTE]

i couldn't disagree more on both points you made.

Lots of crosstraining is a great idea, the only way it can screw up is if you dont allow enough time for sparring so you can see what style (or mix of styles) you find most effective and comfortable FOR YOU. But on that same point, if you dont spar anyway, it doesn't matter what you train in, you'll get your a$$ kicked all over the place.
It could also screw up if you only did like 3 months of each art, but that would be something a 10 year old would do.

Also, if you think that TKD and Hapkido are basically the same art, then who ever is teaching you them should be banned from teaching Martial Arts. I live and train in Korea (i train in BJJ, TKD, Muay Thai Kick Boxing, and I have done a little bit of Hapkido), now all arts have their similarities, but that doesn't mean they are the same!
Or maybe if have mis-understood your point?

However, realistically most of us only have enough time to cross train in 2 arts, MAYBE 3. So actually doing too much crosstraining isn't likely to happen.

In my opinion the best arts to cross train in for an effective fighter are Muay Thai kickboxing, BJJ (Or another form of ground fighting). I do TKD mainly for flexability (also i pretty much have 2 instructors to myself for 30 mins of an hour lesson) and Martial Arts are so cheap out here, it would be rude not to.

In response to the original question:
Learning BJJ or another ground fighting art is by far the best way to learn how to deal with takedowns. Learn how to sprawl, and sprawl well. Also get plenty of training in take downs and avoiding takedowns. and dont do it with a TKD instructor, they might tell you something that isn't realistic. Make sure what ever you learn, it is simple and you could do it in a live situation.

Well i've been talking for far too long now.

Good luck
Hope i've helped

#122494 - 12/27/04 08:56 PM Re: tea kwon do vs tackling/take downs
Anonymous
Unregistered

By the way,
a point was mentioned earlier about not using a ground art. I think that is a great point. If you stay on the ground his friend is gonna repeatedly kick you in the head until you dont know what your name is. The best thing is to use it so you know how to get back to your feet quickly. Not learning how to fight from the ground because you dont plan on fighting from the ground is foolish, because you never know when you might be put in that situation.

In short, learn to fight on the ground, so you can get back to your feet quicker. Don't stay on the ground.

#122495 - 12/28/04 02:58 PM Re: tea kwon do vs tackling/take downs
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sunset,

Believe it or not, that is the way BJJ is commonly taught for Self Defense. The idea of remaining on the ground comes from being tied into a battle where you must pin, reverse, or play guard in an effort to finish the other person within the time limit set for the competition.

#122496 - 12/28/04 08:43 PM Re: tea kwon do vs tackling/take downs
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yes you are right, but i'm worried that someone would train in BJJ, and try to win the fight by an arm bar or something, when other people are involved in the fight. Also a lot of places just teach BJJ as a sport, and dont highlight the differences between it's uses as a sport and as a self defense mechanism. But yes, you have a good point.

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga