FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 36 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SenseiGregT, sagat, JFawkes, pluckysaga39, sgtdemeo
22911 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
AndyLA 5
Dobbersky 5
Ed_Morris 4
ergees 3
futsaowingchun 3
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
Yesterday at 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Recent Posts
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
Yesterday at 03:51 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
08/29/14 10:50 PM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/28/14 02:39 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:58 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
08/16/14 04:59 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Forum Stats
22911 Members
36 Forums
35573 Topics
432484 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#121693 - 08/10/04 02:12 AM Help - need advice about belt/school
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi everyone, I am a newbie posting on here, but I have enjoyed reading the postings on this board.

My situation is this:
I have only been doing tkd for 3 months, and I have already been 'promoted' to green belt. (My school's belts go white, yellow, orange, green, purple, red, blue and so on...) Anyhow, I had only been orange belt for about 3 weeks. It feels like this is all so quick as I don't believe that I am 'that' skilled in tkd.

So basically, I feel that I shouldn't be green at all. I am in a year contract with this school (unbeknownst to me until recently when I reviewed the program I signed up for in more detail). Can I just refuse to wear my green belt or would that be insulting? I know that I should not question what the master has said, but I don't feel great about this belt... I needed more practice.

I have always wanted to do tkd, but I don't want to go through a mill as I want to continue doing a martial art through the rest of my life. I don't know if I should just quit and forgo my $800.00 that I am contracted for, or what I should do. Does this sound like a mill to you all??

Sincerely,
Girlfighter

#121694 - 08/10/04 02:51 AM Re: Help - need advice about belt/school
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sounds like your between a rock and a hardspot. I'm glad to hear that your in TKD for more than the title/rank of BlackBelt. When I figured how much your paying per month, a sign was shown. The number 6 repeated over and over; it might be a sign. (lol)

Anyways, back to your question. If what your saying is true, that you've shot all the way to green very quickly, then you should be questioning the Sensai. Theres a thread in one of the forums about the "McDojo". It sounds like your dojo is a McDojo, more concerned about collecting your money than helping you understand and master what your learning.

Advice about your contract. Talk to your teacher about possible cutting your contract short. If he/she refuses, then look for a loophole(sp?). If there isn't one, then just view it as a very expensive lesson learned. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/frown.gif[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG] dont be discouraged about Martial Arts though. Next time, ask questions about the time between belt promotions. Take as many free lessons to evaluate the class. Watch the Advanced students and determine if they are impressive martial artist or are they just sporting a colorful belt that has zero meaning. If you do decide to join the class, sign up for the least ammount of time possible, just so that you can futher evaluate the class and see if it fits you or not. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG] Good Luck in finding a school, and also with your current situation.

#121695 - 08/10/04 09:11 AM Re: Help - need advice about belt/school
Anonymous
Unregistered

if u cant get out, make your self become a green belt level practise at home and go to as many class as possible. You might as well get as far as u can for the money your spending

#121696 - 08/11/04 12:10 AM Re: Help - need advice about belt/school
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks everyone who responded. I tried one of the best schools in the area tonight and found out that I have just a basic white belt knowledge. This coming from someone who was 'awarded' a green belt at the other school. I was so embarrased and upset because I did not know any step sparring, nor the forms that they did - and I think I could have been easily killed in any street situation. As a novice to tkd, you really have no idea what to expect when you first start. At this second school - they teach you why you are doing your forms - the purpose, breathing, and the proper way to execute them. Mostly, they show you how you can use them if you were attacked on the street and be good enough for competition. The first school seems to be all about cheapening the bb and getting as much $ as possible.

Thanks again everyone [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]
Sincerely,
Girlfighter

#121697 - 08/13/04 10:43 PM Re: Help - need advice about belt/school
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks everyone who responded. I tried one of the best schools in the area tonight and found out that I have just a basic white belt knowledge.

----------Now now now, just because you feel like a white belt, doesn't mean you are one. Maybe they have a different system of TKD than you train.

This coming from someone who was 'awarded' a green belt at the other school. I was so embarrased and upset because I did not know any step sparring, nor the forms that they did -

---------If it is a different system, chances are they wouldn't know YOUR forms either. Don't stress things. Why be embarrased? Are you learning? Or did you think you were God? If you are Learning, then there is nothing to be embarrased about...

and I think I could have been easily killed in any street situation.

-----I'm willing to bet even a blackbelt in most cases could easily be killed in the streets. We're blackbelts, not immortal [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG]

As a novice to tkd, you really have no idea what to expect when you first start. At this second school - they teach you why you are doing your forms - the purpose, breathing, and the proper way to execute them. Mostly, they show you how you can use them if you were attacked on the street and be good enough for competition.

-------Remember this stuff only applies to this school. Different schools will show different "correct ways" [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG]

The first school seems to be all about cheapening the bb and getting as much $ as possible.

-------Most schools with a contract fall under that category.

Thanks again everyone [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]
Sincerely,
Girlfighter

---- [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

#121698 - 08/15/04 06:28 PM Re: Help - need advice about belt/school
Anonymous
Unregistered

I agree with much of what has been said, but I would not say that you should question your instructor. If indeed you do decide to do this I would try to word it as a concern, not as a "you are wrong" type of comment. It is all in the wording of your concern to the teacher, be very careful not to sound as if you feel that he was wrong to promote you, he might see that as being disrespectful.

#121699 - 08/15/04 07:20 PM Re: Help - need advice about belt/school
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Slayr:
I agree with much of what has been said, but I would not say that you should question your instructor. If indeed you do decide to do this I would try to word it as a concern, not as a "you are wrong" type of comment. It is all in the wording of your concern to the teacher, be very careful not to sound as if you feel that he was wrong to promote you, he might see that as being disrespectful.[/QUOTE]

well put.

#121700 - 08/17/04 11:01 AM Re: Help - need advice about belt/school
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for all your responses. I have already begun to switch schools anyhow - and have gotten out my contract with the first school.

#121701 - 08/18/04 12:44 AM Re: Help - need advice about belt/school
Anonymous
Unregistered

Oh! I forgot to mention some things that I found out while doing research! It turns out that my former instructor quit when he was green belt - and then opened his own school. At one of the chain schools - a gal who answered phones started as white belt (no martial arts experience) and within 2 years of training (remember - starting from white belt) she is being considered for 2nd degree bb. She could be a quick learner, but watching her 'perform' I doubt it.

Also, the old school I was attending had WT(a)F certificates for their instructors signed by..... the founder of the school. Notice that the (a) was really small, almost hidden.

I hope that anyone looking into starting tkd for the first time will ask around for suggestions and recommendations and do research BEFORE signing a contract! Take some free classes and don't be pressured into anything. If they don't let you take what you are suppose to sign home - then RUN away!! That would have been the smart thing for me to have done [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

As always - thank you to this board for providing me much reading information and guidance. I appreciate it!
GirlFighter

#121702 - 08/18/04 01:53 AM Re: Help - need advice about belt/school
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wow. WTaF. Nice. Yeah, that happens more times than not.

Some douchebag is a business man and can't do MA for crap opens his own school and promotes himself to grand master.

As for the girl that is 2 bb...in Real WTF that takes (took) 2 years...from 1st dan to 2nd. Maybe she was born with a BB? [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

Glad you are out of your contract. I actually plan on taking tomorrow to see what kind of "free classes" I can get over the phone.

can't wait for sparring [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga