FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 38 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SenseiGregT, sagat, JFawkes, pluckysaga39, sgtdemeo
22911 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
AndyLA 5
Dobbersky 5
Ed_Morris 4
ergees 3
futsaowingchun 3
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
Yesterday at 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Recent Posts
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
Yesterday at 03:51 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
08/29/14 10:50 PM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/28/14 02:39 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:58 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
08/16/14 04:59 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Forum Stats
22911 Members
36 Forums
35573 Topics
432484 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#121485 - 07/16/04 07:40 AM Re: So is it showing off? or does this have an application?
schanne Offline
breaks things

Loc: Woodbury NJ
I thought the guy had a lot of talent at what he does, if he would only apply it to MA he probably would be great.

#121486 - 07/16/04 09:22 AM Re: So is it showing off? or does this have an application?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Maybe he can get a part in the next Mortal Combat movie?

#121487 - 07/16/04 09:23 PM Re: So is it showing off? or does this have an application?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yep....Martial Sport, not Martial Art. I love playing with guys who do that kind of flippy stuff- once you put them squarely on their backs, or get ahold of a leg, they invariably say, "Grabbing is against the rules, we don't grab, no takedowns!" And then...they bop you lightly with a foam covered glove and it's a "Point!" That is sport- interesting maybe, requires talent and dedicated training- but it is NOT a martial art. The only man who can do a back flip into a split that I'd be afraid of is James Brown, especially if he's been into the PCP again...

#121488 - 07/16/04 09:51 PM Re: So is it showing off? or does this have an application?
Christiancadet Offline
Enthusiast

All of those kicks are really pretty (useless), but there is a very good reason that the back kick, axe kick, and round house, and side kick are the kicks that connect the most often... THEY ARE SIMPLE!!! In any situation where you will face anybody who is more skilled than a wooden board you would be better off using any of the kicks I listed earlier than those things performed in the video. The most complicated kicks I have ever witnessed that worked (well) were 360 round house and the spinning hook kick (I have seen one guy do a butterfly kick but we won't count him). The reason being, the kicks that are the most complicated are the most likely to be screwed up. They might be crowd pleasers but like garnish on a dish they are just for show.

#121489 - 07/18/04 04:22 AM Re: So is it showing off? or does this have an application?
StormDOA Offline

Loc: Lansing, Mich., USA
I would think that although the direct combat applications are limited and somebody would be foolish indeed to try to fight like that, it is still very impressive and I know I could not do half of the aerial stunts that were executed and neither I guess would most of the people that I hear saying things like " I wish somebody would fight me like that, or my cheerleader friends can do that or such". Give kudos where they are due, it is like the demo teams , and extreme breaks, it is still very impressive, not everyone out there bases the success of their martial art by comparing i to others. The competition aspect is impressive and frankly iwish I had the ability to do half of the stunts.
Also I have to believe that the mans fitness level is incredible and i still would not want to take one of those kicks upside the head.
Nuff Said, too early in the morning makes me grumpy.

#121490 - 07/20/04 08:15 PM Re: So is it showing off? or does this have an application?
Anonymous
Unregistered

While it is impressive that anyone is capaple of these feats, I must express my concern for the growing number of atheletes who train for sport and show rather then application. Yet again, America has taken a cultural gem and skewed it for public appeal.

#121491 - 07/21/04 11:50 AM Re: So is it showing off? or does this have an application?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Uhh.... I think the guy is from the UK, not the US. His website says that he's lived in Yorkshire all his life.

#121492 - 07/21/04 02:43 PM Re: So is it showing off? or does this have an application?
Anonymous
Unregistered

OklahomasGreg, I may be wrong, but I think that you are mistaken about the bo staff. In my experience the Japanese staff forms are much simpler and more straight to the point (Yoshukai, Tang Soo Do..). They lock out all strikes and do it like a true hard style. The Chinese arts seem to be more flowery in movements, using more soft style motions and fluid technique (Wushu..) Just to reply to what you said earlier, but of course these are vast generalizations based on my observations of a few arts that use the staff. Thanks for your reply earlier.

I think that it is important to remember that all schools and styles have different goals and objectives. I have never found it ethical to put down or talk bad about other styles. Whether they are similar to our own or not and whether they are "Martial" or not, I still feel that they should be respected for what they do. Perhaps these guys in the video couldn't defend thenselves with those techniques, but did anyone ask them if that is their goal? Maybe it is their goal to win trophies. If that is so, then I am sure that they win a lot of them. Many of our goals in training is to learn self-defense, but this is not the focus of all schools. The only time that this becomes a problem is when people or schools advertise self-defense and do nothing but jump kicks. Again, just my opinion on the matter.

#121493 - 07/27/04 02:38 PM Re: So is it showing off? or does this have an application?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I found this forum completely by chance, its funny how these things happen!

Why?... Well I am a friend of Ashley Beck and I know first hand that his 'practical' Martial Arts is excellent, his Father is a well respected Instructor in the UK. Ashley trains harder that most people I know, his technical knowledge is excellent!

NONE of those techniques are meant to be applied in self defense or sparring situations, they are for fun, and are excellent excersise I might add! At no point as Ashley claimed that they are meant for practical usage.

Ash has the upmost respect for all Martial Arts, please show him the same respect in return, this is after all what we are taught.

Regards

Chris Jones.

#121494 - 07/27/04 04:31 PM Re: So is it showing off? or does this have an application?
Isshinryukid4life Offline
Professional Injury causer

Loc: Knoxville.
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chris Jones:
I found this forum completely by chance, its funny how these things happen!

Why?... Well I am a friend of Ashley Beck and I know first hand that his 'practical' Martial Arts is excellent, his Father is a well respected Instructor in the UK. Ashley trains harder that most people I know, his technical knowledge is excellent!

NONE of those techniques are meant to be applied in self defense or sparring situations, they are for fun, and are excellent excersise I might add! At no point as Ashley claimed that they are meant for practical usage.

Ash has the upmost respect for all Martial Arts, please show him the same respect in return, this is after all what we are taught.

Regards

Chris Jones.
[/QUOTE]
That's good to know.However, They'er gullible ppl in this world today,& They would most assuredly perceive defferently from what you've just said .

[This message has been edited by Isshinryukid4life (edited 07-27-2004).]

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga