FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 56 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
Dobbersky 3
MattJ 2
royal 2
SoulJah22 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
Yesterday at 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
Yesterday at 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Topic Options
#121423 - 10/08/04 10:46 AM Re: why teakwondo consists of little grappling
Anonymous
Unregistered

Seems like very little respect here for all of these sarcastic questions. Though history defines where the arts come from and is very interesting ... but my question would be will having WiseTiger answer your trival questions make a difference in your life or training?

I honestly could not answer most of these questions myself though I do enjoy reading this type of history ... and that of other martial arts as well. I do know that General Choi Hong-hi was instrumental in having Korea's military and police learn TKD and founded the KTA in 1965. When the government was upsurped and he fled then he established the ITF. The KTA is now the WTF which I think happened in 1973. I'm sure if I'm wrong I'll be corrected.

None the less your enlarged prostate will not subside whether these questions are answered or not. Life will go on as it always does, with our involvement or not. I am sorry to hear about your enlarged prostate and wish you the best ... none the less!

#121424 - 10/08/04 11:59 AM Re: why teakwondo consists of little grappling
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dereck:
Seems like very little respect here for all of these sarcastic questions. Though history defines where the arts come from and is very interesting ... but my question would be will having WiseTiger answer your trival questions make a difference in your life or training?

I honestly could not answer most of these questions myself though I do enjoy reading this type of history ... and that of other martial arts as well. I do know that General Choi Hong-hi was instrumental in having Korea's military and police learn TKD and founded the KTA in 1965. When the government was upsurped and he fled then he established the ITF. The KTA is now the WTF which I think happened in 1973. I'm sure if I'm wrong I'll be corrected.

None the less your enlarged prostate will not subside whether these questions are answered or not. Life will go on as it always does, with our involvement or not. I am sorry to hear about your enlarged prostate and wish you the best ... none the less!
[/QUOTE]

Dereck,
I apologize for any disrespect. It was not my intention to be disrespectful. Maybe I took the "know your art" comment a bit personally. Again I hold history in high regard and don't consider those questions trivial. The fact is everyone of those questions effected where you put your wieght, and how much you bent your knees in class last night. A persons understanding of the history of their art and history in general inform their opinions, bias's, and perceptions.
As for having WiseTiger answer my questions affecting my life today? He does'nt need too answer them. I posed them purely for my pleasure, not for his answersthat may sound selfish but it's true. If he did take the time to answer them It would say alot about his knowledge about history and therfore his approach to training. It would give me the pleasure of more deeply knowing him and understanding his point of view.
Dereck, I hope I've answered your question. Will you answer on for me? How does not knowing the answer to those questions affect your training?
I don't think I've ever corrected anyone on this forum, Why would I, especially when I know I'm wrong.
Sincerely,
oldman

#121425 - 10/08/04 12:44 PM Re: why teakwondo consists of little grappling
Anonymous
Unregistered

It seems you may be a little wise your self. Of course you already know the answer, not knowing does not affect my training at all. In class we clear our minds of everything before beginning so that we can focus on the tasks at hand. Knowledge of where your arts came from are good but my focus is to learn what I can now in class to grow. The rest is just gravy. Of course I also too could be wrong, I am middle age but young in the arts and have much to learn. I will keep an open mind for the future. Thanks

#121426 - 10/08/04 12:59 PM Re: why teakwondo consists of little grappling
Anonymous
Unregistered

Don't be to quick to malign the Gravy. It helped me one day when I was having a little trouble swallowing what someone fed me. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

oldman

#121427 - 10/08/04 01:35 PM Re: why teakwondo consists of little grappling
Anonymous
Unregistered

The wisdom is flowing now! This is what I call a discussion!

Oldman, I appreciate your comments. It is my belief that one must know why the art was developed if they are to have a true understanding of how to use it and how to teach it to others. So many schools these days just teach the how and not the why. When my students ask why we do flying side kicks or jumping kicks, they get a small history lesson (or maybe more than they wanted to know). Regardless, they now know why those kicks are the way they are. Otherwise, it is just another kick to them.

Case in point:
Before I started taking Taekwondo, I thought that it was simply a sport art that was developed in the 50's for use in the Olympic games. This obviously isn't true, but I only discovered that after I researched it and talked with other masters about the art's history. Now, Taekwondo means much more to me than it did before I started, and that makes the art come alive!

There are other posts out here that make all kinds of claims about the validity of a certain art. I would simply invite those who do not believe the background to research the art's history. If it is truly bogus, they will soon discover that fact.

As always,

Happy Training!

#121428 - 10/12/04 07:43 AM Re: why teakwondo consists of little grappling
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by WiseTiger:

There are other posts out here that make all kinds of claims about the validity of a certain art. I would simply invite those who do not believe the background to research the art's history. If it is truly bogus, they will soon discover that fact.
[/QUOTE]

So tell us more about the claim about unarmed famers dismounting armed horsemen--do you have any historical examples of this being done with any decent rate of success (or even at all)? Are there any provisions in Tae Kwon Do (historical kata, for example) for dealing effectively with a mounted opponent who is trying to:

1. Riddle you with arrows from a composite bow?

2. Skewer you with a lance?

3. Chop you with a sword?

and

4. Trample you under the hooves of his steed?

#121429 - 10/12/04 10:25 AM Re: why teakwondo consists of little grappling
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have been fortunate in my brief TKD career to have instructors who understand the significance of the movements that we do in our kyeu roogi and poomsae. We are often stopped mid way and asked why we are doing what we are doing e.g. a ridge hand strike,an elbow strike, a choke hold etc. It lets the student know what they are doing.

We often engage in combat sparring techniques which are similar to our step sparring with much more effective/devastating finishing moves. Our instructors readily point techniques that are appropriate for self defence and the ones that are more for show.

They all have their place though in the art and sport of TKD.

Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga