FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 39 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jwwmantis 2
futsaowingchun 1
Zombie Zero 1
Beefcake 1
LeroyCFischer 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35591 Topics
432526 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#121393 - 07/07/04 07:05 PM Re: why teakwondo consists of little grappling
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sorry, I've been out of pocket for a few days. Check out the following link:
http://www.sos.mtu.edu/husky/tkdhist.htm

While I don't make any claims that it is 100% accurate, it does coenside closly with most other accounts of the history of Tae Kwon Do. By the way, the 1950s was not that long ago and the information concerning the actual bring together of the seven major Kwons under a single umbrella of the name Tae Kwon Do is generally agreed upon, if not the exact person who coined the term.

The entire purpose of WTF is to be the presiding body over the Olympic sport. There have been numerous disagreements and bitter agruments between the WTF and the ITF but the WTF is far more widespread around world BECAUSE it's an Olympic sport.

Disagree if you like. I've done Tae Kown Do on and off for a long time and recently (1 1/2 years ago) started in Chung Do Kwon Tae Kwon Do. Before that I trained in Youn Wha Ryu and I've had to learn all the new forms but I'm now a brown belt in this style.

Hey don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking TKD, I'm simply pointing out that it is an Olympic sport and the emphisis is on scoreing a point. I would also point out that the basis of pre modern martial arts systems simply don't have the advantage of knowing the human body like we do today. There are also lots of things that you train for when sparring that CAN be a bad thing in a street fight. It depends a lot on how you train and your mindset.

There are modern combat techniques that are superior. Just ask the Navy SEALS who train in SCARS rather than any ancient art.

I enjoy TKD, the fitness, the flexibility, the friends but I have no illusions that it is the end all of H2H combat.

#121394 - 07/07/04 07:15 PM Re: why teakwondo consists of little grappling
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Slayr:
I think that putting down other people and their training is not what martial arts is about. this forum should be a place of respect, just as the dojo/dojang. When you relate to things that others say as BS, you are only revealing the fact of how little you truly know about the martial arts. This is just my opinion as a humble lifelong martial arts student.[/QUOTE]

You're absolutely right. I probably came across as an a***hole earlier and that wasn't my intention. I was having a bad day and expressed my self more forcefully than I meant to. For that I apologise.

However, I stand by the fact that I have made NO assumptions about you're training and I don't believe I ever insulted you're training. I simply disagreed with you're version of historical events. If I assumed that I'm more knowledgable on this subject than anybody else here, then I would have to say you are guilty of the same sin, with your first post being very much in the manner of "Here's the deal with TKD..."

That said, I do respect the fact that you actually have an opinion on this subject and are willing to express it. Which brings me to Uriel. No mate, you didn't upset me. It was an honest question. If both me and Slayr are wrong, I would really like to hear what your view on TKD's historical roots is. So far, I haven't seen you express a single opinion on this thread other than stating that other people are wrong. That's all well and good but this is a discussion forum and to discuss things you generally have to offer a counterpoint as well, otherwise its not so much a discussion and more of a kids' playground squabble. "You're wrong cos you are!" hasn't really been an acceptable arguement in my books since I was around the age of six.

#121395 - 07/08/04 05:12 PM Re: why teakwondo consists of little grappling
Anonymous
Unregistered

Understood, Abraxas, no harm done.

Hi TwoGun, I agree with much of what you said in the recent post. But, there are systems that have the name of TKD which are not affiliated with any national or international orgs. (WTF, ITF...). I do realize that TKD is not a complete system in any way, but all styles today are not Olympic systems. There are a few combative systems which allow you to actually hit your partner and not play tag. These schools are hard to find, but some actually do train in street clothes and such from time to time. Notwithstanding, though, my experience is that these schools are not usually what I consider to be 100% TKD, they have adapted to be more "real" and kept the name and techniques. Take it for what it is worth, it is just what I've seen here in the South US.

#121396 - 07/08/04 09:50 PM Re: why teakwondo consists of little grappling
Anonymous
Unregistered

Oh I know. I guess I shoud have qualified my statment by saying saying conventional Tae Kwon Do schools. I worked out under one Master Man H. Han in the north Dallas area and he was an amazing instructor. He spent, what I have come to realize, an inrodinate amount of time working with his more advanced students on techniques for the street. But He was unusual in that he not only was a master of TKD but also of Hopkido and he was a 4th Dan in Judo and he had studied in China for several years. He simply had a far different view than other TKD instructors I'd had previously.

The thing about his school was he could really, really push you and he would once or twice just to see how long it would be before you came back. I mean many students wouldn't show up again for a week or two after a workout like that. But if you did show up again the next day, he pushed you more and more. If you could stick with you, had some first class training that was viable and effective on the street.

But CONVENTIONAL WTF/ITF schools do tend to point "score a point" orientited. And why not? It's an Olympic sport.

#121397 - 07/29/04 10:42 PM Re: why teakwondo consists of little grappling
Anonymous
Unregistered

You said it TwoGun. I agree.

#121398 - 07/30/04 10:32 AM Re: why teakwondo consists of little grappling
Anonymous
Unregistered

Why does Hardees consist of so little McDonalds?

#121399 - 07/30/04 02:02 PM Re: why teakwondo consists of little grappling
schanne Offline
breaks things

Loc: Woodbury NJ
Didn't the original question state something about Grappling & TKD???? LOL

#121400 - 08/02/04 08:08 AM Re: why teakwondo consists of little grappling
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have been training Archery for 10 years. For the period of 10 years, i have been training with other Archery associations and also with some military students. As I have been practising this art, I noticed that there is not a single Firearm method. Why?

#121401 - 08/10/04 02:57 PM Re: why teakwondo consists of little grappling
goldencrane Offline

Loc: Kansas City Kansas USA
[QUOTE]Originally posted by oldman:
I have been training Archery for 10 years. For the period of 10 years, i have been training with other Archery associations and also with some military students. As I have been practising this art, I noticed that there is not a single Firearm method. Why?

[/QUOTE]

OK I'll bite........What the heck are you talking about????? [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/confused.gif[/IMG]

#121402 - 08/10/04 03:58 PM Re: why teakwondo consists of little grappling
Anonymous
Unregistered

goldencrane
Vicky Shah, made this post on 6/28 beginning the thread
" I have been training tkd for 10 years. For the period of 10 years, i have been training with other teakwondo associations and also with some military students. As I have been practising this art, I noticed that there is not a single grappling method. Why?"
As you wrote in you're earlier post there many styles represented on this forum. TKD has remarkable variety and scope. There are certainly grappling applications in the art. History plays a role in the different methodologies. Different branches have different priorities. To say that there are no grappling techniques would not be accurate. Vicky speaks from expeirence regarding her branch, not the whole tree.
Concerning my previous post,
"I have been training Archery for 10 years. For the period of 10 years, i have been training with other Archery associations and also with some military students. As I have been practising this art, I noticed that there is not a single Firearm method. Why?"
It just substitutes other methods into her post to help people ponder the question without suppyling a simple answer. Vicky has been studying "archery " for ten years, right next to a gun range and never heard a shot.

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga