FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 38 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jwwmantis 2
Zombie Zero 1
harlan 1
Beefcake 1
LeroyCFischer 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35591 Topics
432526 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#121331 - 07/19/04 03:18 PM Re: 1st dan black belt test
goldencrane Offline

Loc: Kansas City Kansas USA
I Totally agree with hanna.

The martial arts have evolved in the past 20-30 years, maybe you should too.

#121332 - 07/21/04 03:28 PM Re: 1st dan black belt test
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hannah, thanks for the reply. Maybe I got carried away before. I understand safety and am very concerned about it, though it may seem that I am not. I do agree with much of what you said. Very seldom do my students get hurt, and if they do it is often a bruise from blocking drills or something like that. I do not make it routine to have my students break their hands on boards, though my previous post may have read that way (if so it was unintentional). Typically they are very much ready to break boards when I give them the opportunity. Still, though there is a mental barrier that must be broken on the first board break for a student. No matter how hard they punch, when you put that board in front of them many student will hold back. Yes, it is my job to be sure that they are ready before they go to break. I also see it as my job to encourage my students not to quit, even if they are a little hurt. In real life, you may get hurt in a fight and must continue. I do monitor the board breaking, and while most break on the first attempt, some do not. Before I had just come in from class when a student of mine had to take about 4 or 5 tries to break his first board and I was a little jazzed up from that. I was just very proud of his accomplishment and that he pushed through the pain to finally break. I teach to finish what you start (This does not refer to starting fights). If the student truly had hurt his hand to the point of bleeding or where he could not go on I would have stopped it. Each time i just asked him if he wanted to continue and he did, I examined his hand and it was well enough to go on. I would simply coach him along until he broke.

We do some throws on the ground with no matting, since there is no matting on the street. I seems to neglect this would be truly unrealistic. It is not something we do all the time, but something that I feel they need a taste of. I feel that if I do not try to prepare my students for what can realisitically happen in a fight, then I have failed them. This, I feel is another responsibility of the instructor. Other times, we use mats. Nobody has been hurt due wo this training, due to using proper breakfalls and rolls.

As far as the test goes, I like the fact that we keep it realisitc. The rule is that if the instructor hits you in the face with the bare knuckle punch, then you fail. Yes, it is my job to be sure that they can block the punch! Accordingly, nobody has failed due to this issue. In my opinion, truly if a person cannot block a punch to the head they should not earn the rank of black belt.

If I seemed a bit over-the-top hardcore before, I apologize. I just wanted to push the issue that "If it was easy, everyone would do it." Maybe I got a bit carried away. Stay dedicated and keep training hard and there is nothing you cannot accomplish. Yes, I think that safety should ba a top priority and it is at my school. I also think that there must be a balance between safety and realism in training. In a fight, there are no padded gloves, but if we train too realistically then we could get hurt while trying to learn how to avoid getting hurt. It is a delicate balance and different schools balance it different ways. This is just the way I do things and the way I believe that they should be done. I appreciate your earlier replies, train hard!

#121333 - 07/21/04 08:56 PM Re: 1st dan black belt test
StormDOA Offline

Loc: Lansing, Mich., USA
I think a black belt test should be insanely hard, but it should be within your abilities. In our school I used to get angry and frustrated because the testings were much easiar than what I remember. But I understand now that really your test is almost a demonstration.
WE do two tests, a pretest at another instructors school which is usually very hard and unforgiving, but still it is within your instructors assessment of your abilities. And then we do a second big testing to recieve your actual belt. But the big test is much easiar, well within your abilities. This is the test that is open to the general public. So it is everyones best interest to put on a good face. One of my peers for example broke a baseball bat with a roundhouse kick in his pretest and then did only 2 boards with a standing or front leg side kick for the big test.
My point is that really you should not be testing unless you have already passed.

#121334 - 07/22/04 12:32 PM Re: 1st dan black belt test
Anonymous
Unregistered

Slayr, that clears a few things up. From your first two posts it seemed a little...extreme.

I don't quite understand the point of having two tests, especially if the last one isn't really a "test". Why not do the test and have that be it?

#121335 - 09/07/04 10:15 AM Re: 1st dan black belt test
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Hannah:
"Again, don't take this the wrong way. I am of the old school of martial arts. My students train bare-foot on concrete and dirt. They are thrown to the ground with no padding. They break knuckles on boards, but keep punching them until they break. This is all at green belt. "

No offense, but that's ridiculous. I understand you are from the "old school" of martial arts, but maybe there's a reason there's a "new school" of martial arts. The reason is...safety.

If you are having your green belt students break knuckles on boards, are you sure they are ready for breaking boards? The inexpierienced shouldn't be breaking boards and the expierienced wouldn't break knuckles on boards.

"When you can no longer stand on your own, you must fight your instructor. Instructor then tries to punch you bare knuckle to the face with no warning. If he hits you, then you fail. "

If your student fails, you fail. It's YOUR job as an instructor not to punch someone in the face and be like, "Oh, you fail. You should have blocked it," but rather, made sure they could block it before testing them.

Don't get me wrong. My black belt testing was a lot like the one you require, without the punching-in-the-face thing. I just think there is a line between insanity and safety. You're the instructor, it's your job that your students don't fail and it's your job that they can learn the martial arts without breaking their hands all the time.
[/QUOTE]

If you have a website please send it to me.

#121336 - 09/16/04 07:10 AM Re: 1st dan black belt test
Anonymous
Unregistered

jesus christ, stop whinin i am 13 year old karate student
and for my green belt i had to break 13 boards with 13 different moves, it is easy.

#121337 - 09/21/04 06:59 AM Re: 1st dan black belt test
Anonymous
Unregistered

That's ridiculous. It's so different here in Australia. In korea, u do nothing. You just have to do some poomse in front of some random people and u just have to spar sum1. And actually isn't the first dan Red/black?

#121338 - 10/14/04 11:02 PM Re: 1st dan black belt test
Anonymous
Unregistered

Our school uses simple pine boards, not clear pine. I would imagine that chip boards would be tough. I believe the boards are 1 inch, which probably dresses out at 20 mm.

Board braking starts at the yellow going to orange level, with a simple rear leg side kick. My current level, Blue going for red stripe, requires a 360 hook kick. My last test required a 180 hook kick. I believe the black belts require hand breaks in addition to the kicking break. My instructor told me that the board hold at black belt is with the thumb and index finger.

#121339 - 10/15/04 03:59 PM Re: 1st dan black belt test
Anonymous
Unregistered

For my BB grading I had to break 3 pine boards with a spinning back kick.

In my experience there's not a lot of difference between chip-board and pine.

After 12 years of TKD, and being the Former British Demolition & Destruction Champion for 3 years (in the late 90's) I can honestly say that breaking IS NOT GOOD FOR YOU.

I'm 33 and was recently diagnosed with arthritis in my middle knuckle from Breaking.

[IMG]http://www.go-fishing.org/upload/files/fist.jpg[/IMG]

Ok, I broke bricks, breeze blocks, wood, tiles, ice, etc, but I was assured at the beginning of my TKD journey that it would be ok to do so.

In my Academy the students have the option to break, they don't, and won't, have to, in a grading.

Just my 2p (2c).

Gaffer.

#121340 - 10/17/04 08:47 PM Re: 1st dan black belt test
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wow, Gaffer that is one mean looking knuckle. I am surprised to read that there isn't much difference between chip board and pine, I would have thought it would be considerably different.

I saw a video clip on the net awhile ago, and there was this Japanese Karate master ramming his fists repeatedly into buckets of nails. That just can't be good for you.

Most of the breaks I have seen in TKD, I admit that I am relatively new at, have been with the feet with the odd ridge hand or knife hand thrown in.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga