FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
1 registered (AndyLA), 30 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 4
Ronin1966 3
GojuRyuboy13 2
Matakiant 1
cxt 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
Recent Posts
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
10/22/14 07:20 AM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35582 Topics
432510 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#121321 - 06/28/04 03:24 PM Re: 1st dan black belt test
Anonymous
Unregistered

That's it. Thank you. Kiwi tried to tell me I could break 3-4 22mm chip boards with a kick. Not a chance in h***.
One of the 2nd dan's got 2 boards for his 2nd dan test with a "fly kick" and had trouble breaking it, he moved the whole column of guys trying to hold the board. The strange things are that only one of the ones testing for 2nd dan got the 22mm board, and his was more rectangular (ok, I know that this is an erronous consept, since a square too is a rectangle, but less square. :P ).

#121322 - 06/28/04 04:58 PM Re: 1st dan black belt test
Uriel Offline
Enthusiast

Since a poster here broke a chip board before and since I have also broken one.

Unless you are retarded, you too can break one.

Just remember they don't break like normal boards. I found it insteresting that the person that did break it said the things about the scratches and such. That was my major annoyance after breaking it too. There really isn't a clean break, almost as if the board shatters instead.

But to the person that can't break it. Give up or don't. Up to you.

#121323 - 06/28/04 05:36 PM Re: 1st dan black belt test
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have no problem breaking normal chip boards, but the 22mm is very difficult.

[This message has been edited by OgreWolf (edited 06-29-2004).]

#121324 - 06/29/04 08:31 AM Re: 1st dan black belt test
ipscshooter Offline

Loc: Houston, TX
[QUOTE]Originally posted by OgreWolf:
paro yop-chagi/B][/QUOTE]
Can you describe this kick for us? i.e. starting stance, kick with front or back leg, which way do you turn, etc.? I looked through Gen. Choi's encyclopedia last night, and couldn't find this kick listed.

[This message has been edited by ipscshooter (edited 06-29-2004).]

#121325 - 07/05/04 03:49 PM Re: 1st dan black belt test
Anonymous
Unregistered

Here is my advice and please don't take it the wrong way. First, how long have you trained? Were you ready? You should never test if not ready. Next, if your technique is correct and mental attitude is right, then there could have been bricks in front of that technique and they would break. Stop focusing of the boards and just do the kick, don't even see them!

Now, here are the facts. YOU failed your test, and YOU were not ready. YOU did not train hard enough and YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO QUESTION YOUR INSTRUCTOR!!

I HOPE THAT YOU ARE NOT GOING BEHIND YOUR INSTRUCTOR'S BACK IN WRITING THIS ENTRY. IF SO, YOU HAVE BROKEN THE SACRED TRUST BETWEEN INSTRUCTOR AND STUDENT! THE MERE FACT THAT YOU ARE TRYING TO PLACE BLAME ON YOUR INSTRUCTOR TELLS ME 2 THINGS: YOU REFUSE TO ADMIT THAT YOU FAILED YOURSELF AND YOU DO NOT RESPECT YOUR INSTUCTOR!!! HONESTLY, DUE TO THIS, ALLOWING YOU TO WEAR A BLACK BELT WOULD ONLY CONTRIBUTE TO RANK INFLATION.

Again, don't take this the wrong way. I am of the old school of martial arts. My students train bare-foot on concrete and dirt. They are thrown to the ground with no padding. They break knuckles on boards, but keep punching them until they break. This is all at green belt.

At black belt, honestly, you should only get one chance to break. Thats what you get in a fight isn't it?

Keep in mind that rank is only a belt, and it is only worth what you put into it. "The destination is less important than the journey"

#121326 - 07/05/04 05:55 PM Re: 1st dan black belt test
Anonymous
Unregistered

I realize that I should be able to do it, and I am. It might have sounded like I was trying to put the blame on my instructor, I was pretty upset at the time.
I only started this post because I wanted to know how our test is in contrast to other clubs, since I have only witnessed testing in our club. The problem is that the requirements seem to change from every time, and it is hard to prepare for the unknown. There has also been alot of controversy around our club and instructor, disputes between other clubs and the national organization etc.

#121327 - 07/05/04 06:01 PM Re: 1st dan black belt test
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ipscshooter:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by OgreWolf:
paro yop-chagi/B][/QUOTE]
Can you describe this kick for us? i.e. starting stance, kick with front or back leg, which way do you turn, etc.? I looked through Gen. Choi's encyclopedia last night, and couldn't find this kick listed.

[This message has been edited by ipscshooter (edited 06-29-2004).]
[/QUOTE]

Paro means backward, or reversed, yop chagi means side kick. So a reversed side kick. Starting with your back leg, rotating 180 degrees "backward" with a side kick. Did that explain it?

#121328 - 07/05/04 10:23 PM Re: 1st dan black belt test
Uriel Offline
Enthusiast

so it's a spin back kick.

#121329 - 07/05/04 11:11 PM Re: 1st dan black belt test
Anonymous
Unregistered

Okay, our test lasts about 3 hours. We do not break boards for testing, but there are many other things involved. All forms from the system must be performed. All one step techniques. Self Defense Demo. Teaching test. Fighting with under belts for teaching. Fighting with brown belts. Fighting with black belts. Fighting with visiting black belt. Fighting brown belts two on one. When you can no longer stand on your own, you must fight your instructor. Instructor then tries to punch you bare knuckle to the face with no warning. If he hits you, then you fail. Philosophical question and answer. These are many of the things that happen at our 1st dan test. We always know just what to expect, as it doesn't change.

#121330 - 07/19/04 01:57 PM Re: 1st dan black belt test
Anonymous
Unregistered

Again, don't take this the wrong way. I am of the old school of martial arts. My students train bare-foot on concrete and dirt. They are thrown to the ground with no padding. They break knuckles on boards, but keep punching them until they break. This is all at green belt.

No offense, but that's ridiculous. I understand you are from the old school of martial arts, but maybe there's a reason there's a new school of martial arts. The reason is...safety.

If you are having your green belt students break knuckles on boards, are you sure they are ready for breaking boards? The inexpierienced shouldn't be breaking boards and the expierienced wouldn't break knuckles on boards.

When you can no longer stand on your own, you must fight your instructor. Instructor then tries to punch you bare knuckle to the face with no warning. If he hits you, then you fail.

If your student fails, you fail. It's YOUR job as an instructor not to punch someone in the face and be like, Oh, you fail. You should have blocked it, but rather, made sure they could block it before testing them.

Don't get me wrong. My black belt testing was a lot like the one you require, without the punching-in-the-face thing. I just think there is a line between insanity and safety. You're the instructor, it's your job that your students don't fail and it's your job that they can learn the martial arts without breaking their hands all the time.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga