FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 46 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
MattJ 2
royal 2
Dobbersky 2
ergees 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#121311 - 06/25/04 04:08 PM 1st dan black belt test
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi!

For my black belt test I got a 22mm chip board breaking with a paro yop chagi, three tries, and flunked.
My question really, is: Do you guys think it fair that we got these boards for 1st dan black belt. I have only witnessed black-belt testing in our club, and noone has gotten these boards for their 1st dan test before that know. How is this compared to other club's black-belt test?

[This message has been edited by OgreWolf (edited 07-05-2004).]

#121312 - 06/25/04 08:39 PM Re: 1st dan black belt test
Uriel Offline
Enthusiast

stop your bitching. I've seen smaller people break harder things.

It's technique, not weight.

#121313 - 06/25/04 09:00 PM Re: 1st dan black belt test
kiwi Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Wellington New Zealand
22m is pretty standard.

You are lucky you didn't have to break more.

Adults should be able to break atleast two boards with most hand techniques (excluding fingetip thrusts [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]).

And you should be able to break atleast three or four 22mm boards with a kick.

I remember watching one black belt grading where the boards were wet (makes it alot harder). Most of them still broke the boards.

At the last nationals a 55kg guys borke 4 boards with a step side kick.

Another 60kg guy borke three boards with a knife hand.

You failed because you wern't good enough, not because of the boards.

#121314 - 06/25/04 10:31 PM Re: 1st dan black belt test
Anonymous
Unregistered

Breaking depends on many factors.

1.Mental attitude!!!
2.Hitting the center of the board.
3.The stability and strength of board holder.
4.The density of the material (timber can very a lot).
5.Speed of impact
6.Angle of impact.
7.Correct body alignment
8.Your balance during the technique.

I am not much heavier than you and have very little trouble breaking timber of this size and thicker.
As for the testing getting harder........ It should !!!!!

If it was hardest at white belt everyone would get to 4th dan with trouble but we must improve as we progress so the grading requirements must increase. My Master Mr Lee has said many times “all you have to do to pass is do your best”. If your instructor thought you could break a thick board than you probably can and just got worried about the thickness.

Don't think, Just Do It!

#121315 - 06/26/04 08:20 AM Re: 1st dan black belt test
schanne Offline
breaks things

Loc: Woodbury NJ
Ok, first thing, you should know the terminology by now if your testing for your BB. The Korean Side kick you failed at is "Yup Cha Ki"

We were to break with paro yop-chagi (what's that in english?).

My question really, is: Do you guys think it fair that we got these boards for 1st dan black belt test (with only 3 tries). It seems that the better you are, the harder the test is, which is backward.

BTW: I am 186cm tall and weigh 66kg, so I don't have much weight which counts for a lot.

Three tries are the rules, it's always been that way even when your at a tournament. Nothing wrong with your instructor pushing you a little during a BB test either, if you handle it well it show good MA character. Don't be discouraged, now that you know your own weekness you can perfect it and do better on your next test...Tang Soo!

#121316 - 06/26/04 01:19 PM Re: 1st dan black belt test
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, maybe I should be able to break it. However, to say that one should break 3 or four etc. is strange. The difficulty of breaking a board relies on many factors, the density of the chip board, the size (it is easier to break a 40x20cm than a 40x30cm board) etc.
And by the way, these are not boards from timber, but chip boards. And kiwi, wet chip boards are not harder. They smolder and become soft. Thats why you can't use chip boards when building stuff outside, but only for inner alls, floors etc.

#121317 - 06/26/04 09:58 PM Re: 1st dan black belt test
kiwi Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Wellington New Zealand
I was talking about pine boards in that instance.

#121318 - 06/28/04 10:22 AM Re: 1st dan black belt test
ipscshooter Offline

Loc: Houston, TX
[QUOTE]Originally posted by OgreWolf:
Hi!

Two weeks ago I tested for black belt 1st dan, I had more than enough points when we got to the breaking (kyokpa or something in Korean), but I flunked my test because I did not break the 22mm thick chipboard in 3 tries (an almost quadractic board). We were to break with paro yop-chagi (what's that in english?).
This is the first time ever anyone have gotten this thick boards for their 1st dan testing. We were 3 who got it. only one made it. And he weighs about 25-30kilos (or so he said) more than me (thats 55-66 pounds for you non-metric guys). I was told that I got this thick board because my "master" was sure I could do it.
My question really, is: Do you guys think it fair that we got these boards for 1st dan black belt test (with only 3 tries). It seems that the better you are, the harder the test is, which is backward.

BTW: I am 186cm tall and weigh 66kg, so I don't have much weight which counts for a lot.

[This message has been edited by OgreWolf (edited 06-25-2004).]
[/QUOTE]I'm not sure how hard it is to break chipboard as opposed to the usual pine boards, but, it seems to me that someone of your size should have no problem breaking a 22mm board with any kind of side kick, assuming your technique is right. My son broke two 8X12X1 pine boards with a flying side kick and with a 360 kick at his black belt testing, and he weighed under 60 pounds (27 kilos) at the time.

#121319 - 06/28/04 11:01 AM Re: 1st dan black belt test
schanne Offline
breaks things

Loc: Woodbury NJ
I never heard of anyone ever using chip boards for breaking, pine boards are the norm....wierd. Know wonder they didn't break, flake board, chip boards are the same and they are made from scrap wood that is mixed with a glue and pressed into 4x8 sheets. It is very similar to plywood but cheaper. Also there is no grain in chipwood and do to that it is more difficult to break, and you tried to break three of them at once.....LOL

[This message has been edited by schanne (edited 06-28-2004).]

#121320 - 06/28/04 11:34 AM Re: 1st dan black belt test
Anonymous
Unregistered

I entered a real poorly organized tournament once where they user a type of chipboard instead of pine. I found out latter that this was because they got it cheap of a building site.(Really cheap!) Anyway I can be broken but it has a tendency to break around to contact area. ie: you punch or kick a hole in the board. Side kick was the best method I saw used. The board were only broken one at a time and still it was much hard to do then most pine boards. I don't recommend using it as most people (including me) had heaps of little scratches from all the chips and the mess was much worse then break pine of any other real timber. Bits of wood chips all across the floor. So I learned 2 things that day. Don't go into crap tournaments and stick with pine board.

If timber is too expensive or you want consistancy in the breaking strength I have used the "ultimate martial arts board" rebreakable's for the past 8 years and found that these a a great training tool and you don't need a truck load of timber every class you have students practicing breaking techniques.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga