FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 57 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn, Ron_Cooley, businns
22902 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 12
cxt 7
trevek 6
JKogas 5
TaekwonDoFan 2
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Iaido movements speed
by TooNice
04/14/14 01:47 PM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Recent Posts
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
Yesterday at 11:35 AM
centerline concepts
by Dobbersky
07/18/14 06:14 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:38 AM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Forget all that health stuff
by TaekwonDoFan
06/29/14 03:18 AM
Forum Stats
22902 Members
36 Forums
35563 Topics
432450 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#121274 - 07/01/04 11:32 PM Re: Any Olympic sparring tips On fast Guy?
Uriel Offline
Enthusiast

so is everyone with a sewing machine.

I know the technique you are talking about.

It is very useful...but it isn't "god".

You will get smoked if you use it all the time.

Trust me.

Or if you don't trust, go pay the USTU some money
Enter into the US Open

btw, Kiwi...

Thank you for clarifying the wtf point thing. I guess I always did the olympic="full contact" point="tag" thing [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG]

Tell me how you place.

[This message has been edited by Uriel (edited 07-01-2004).]

#121275 - 07/01/04 11:46 PM Re: Any Olympic sparring tips On fast Guy?
kiwi Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Wellington New Zealand
a This in no way resembles the crane kick in karate kid, I believe this is called fast kick in tkd.
I know, I was making fun (thought it was pretty obvious and did no warrant smileys). This is not called a fast kick in TKD, it slightly resembles a shuffling side kick (which is only used for point sparring).

b you are turned at 45 degrees to your opponent, not straight on idiot.

see above, do you really need to add insults on to the end of every sentence. My last post may have been sarcastic but it prooved a point, adding idiot or Jackass proves nothing.

c my former master is a former 2 time Kumite champion, yes like bloodsport Jackass

Now you are trying to win an argument by stating credentials. However you refused to name this guy so none of this is varifiable. If youre not willing to back up the credentials don't post them.

d I am not a kid I am 28 years old and I have been doing ma for almost 20 of those years

I however am a kid, but URiel isn't and I'm sure if you post about this technique in the martial arts talk forum you will get a similar response.

e ever heard of a side kick"

No (do i need to post a smiley?)

f you are not standing on the lead leg

that was obvious (although not to some)

g Norm used this stance for point sparring with green belts for green belt humilition, some of which were black belts in other styles such as Shotokan which is the same shit as tkd, and he said if you could touch him you won. In 12 years no one ever did.
h If all your targets are covered how does anyone score a point on you, unless you are slow enough and dumb enough to let them get behind you.

Because under forward pressure it is impossible to stay on one leg ( you aint gonna hop back faster then a person can run). In the best case scenario you hit me once before I am ontop of you, you can either stayon one leg and try to out punch me (wont happen because you cannot generate the same power when you are one leg) or you can try and put you leg down (it wont be down before I get there so you will be off balance).

The biggest point is that the best in the world at point sparring are Olympic point sparrers. If youre technqiue worked in point sparring they would use it, however it doesnt.

The best full contact kickboxers in the world are in K-1. If the technique you talk about worked then they would use it.

You also state that he used this to humiliate people (sounds like a really nice guy), but doesn't that mean he is using it against people he is vastly better then. Which then means he's not using it against good people. Which probably means it doesn't work against good people.

By the way I know your master isn't Frank Dux i'm just showing you that alot of credentials can be bullshit. Please either post something that can varify this or be quite about it.

It is too easy to post somethign such as my instructor is the 15 time world champion in so and so but out of respect I will not name him.

http://sonkal.taekwondo.cz/videogalerie-en.php?rok=2001

Uriel
this is the style of TKD I do^^, you can judge for yourself hwo the sparring measure up. There are over a hundred videos on this site.
http://sonkal.taekwondo.cz/reindex-en.ph...en.php?rok=2001

Heres a highlite if you don't want to donwload all the vids. You need to have the DIVX codec to run these videos. There is avtuall some beaut counters to the shuffling side kick (similar to the technique reapers talking about however you are moving forward).

Two counters for that in the video are a reverse turning kick and a switch turning kick.

[This message has been edited by kiwi (edited 07-02-2004).]

#121276 - 07/02/04 12:50 AM Re: Any Olympic sparring tips On fast Guy?
Uriel Offline
Enthusiast

Because under forward pressure it is impossible to stay on one leg ( you aint gonna hop back faster then a person can run). In the best case scenario you hit me once before I am ontop of you, you can either stayon one leg and try to out punch me (wont happen because you cannot generate the same power when you are one leg) or you can try and put you leg down (it wont be down before I get there so you will be off balance).

Exactly my point too, Kiwi. It is great for either a quick defense in the right position or to try to track someone once in a while.

I looked at the video or two in the link you put in. I have fought in that style before.

I do wonder how hard you guys hit though? I have seen two different versions of that style. One is in the mma leagues where it is like Olympic TKD with punching to the face. ie. Full out contact. The other was more like ITC Point sparring ie. Light contact.

But yeah, I could even tell you what those mats feel like LOL. Good vids. Thanks.

P.S. I also think that they show the hopping mentioned in one persons post correctly, as opposed to some Shotokan (to the other guy, shoto and tkd are not really the same. bb in 1 does not mean a bb in the other. also your instructor was beating up green belts? Yeah...that's my hero.) bouncing which is more like a huge foot stomp.

[This message has been edited by Uriel (edited 07-02-2004).]

#121277 - 07/02/04 11:43 AM Re: Any Olympic sparring tips On fast Guy?
taekwondosamurai Offline

Loc: bowling green kentucky united ...
In the stance that reaperblack stated couldn't u just knockmthe half chambered leg out of the way and goin punch or a round kick?

#121278 - 07/02/04 11:52 AM Re: Any Olympic sparring tips On fast Guy?
Christiancadet Offline
Enthusiast

What happens if your opponent uses the same stance? Is there a time limit or will you stand there in a never ending face off like to monoliths lost to time. If I was wrong about the forward leg thing sorry, I had just been told at a tournament I went to that they defined the forward leg as the farthest forward to be placed solidly on the ground which would make me correct however I could easilly (and probably am) be wrong, in Olympic sparring which is what I usually do doesn't to the best of my knowlegde allow sweeps but I though we were talking about but that was just cleared up and revealed to me that we were reffering to Olympic Sparing (I think?) in which case the forward leg sweep was a completely useless comment.

Sorry

#121279 - 07/02/04 12:41 PM Re: Any Olympic sparring tips On fast Guy?
Uriel Offline
Enthusiast

[QUOTE]Originally posted by taekwondosamurai:
In the stance that reaperblack stated couldn't u just knockmthe half chambered leg out of the way and goin punch or a round kick?[/QUOTE]

LOLOLOL

Errrmm...actually...that *IS* the "defense" I use for that stance. That and jaming.

#121280 - 07/04/04 09:46 PM Re: Any Olympic sparring tips On fast Guy?
reaperblack Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Victoria, BC, Canada
Firstly let me apologize for my unwillingness to discuss things in a civilized manner in my previous posts. I became one of those people that I hate, and for this I am sorry. You are right, rather than insult you I should offer evidence or shut up. I have none. This stance when I have used it, has worked for me. I can absorb a full kick with my shin while standing on one leg and not stumble, usually I choose to jam it closer to the ground, but I can. You don't have to believe me, and I understand if you don't. Norm never beat anyone up, he never had to. He was a very good instructor and a good martial artist. Again in this case I am unwilling to offer proof and if you don't believe me that's still ok. This stance, like any stance isn't meant to be used all the time. You should never do anything all the time, you become predictable. No you cannot counter this with a kick to the shin and a groin punch, groin punching is illegal, and if you kick my shin that's all the reaction you get. Part of the reason why their may be some variations in balance and technique is my build. I have big feet, I am short (5'8"), and I am a former powerlifter with 24" legs. So I am close to the ground and stable. None of this needs to be discussed, again I apologize for my immaturity of late.
Have a good day.
Roger

#121281 - 07/04/04 10:31 PM Re: Any Olympic sparring tips On fast Guy?
Uriel Offline
Enthusiast

how much do you weigh in lbs?

#121282 - 07/05/04 01:01 AM Re: Any Olympic sparring tips On fast Guy?
Christiancadet Offline
Enthusiast

I weigh 112 at 5'6 (I've grown!) though I don't think you were asking me... really old typo

[This message has been edited by Christiancadet (edited 07-19-2004).]

#121283 - 07/05/04 02:21 AM Re: Any Olympic sparring tips On fast Guy?
reaperblack Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Victoria, BC, Canada
214 lbs right now, because I gained weight on my vacation. My best weight for competion is about 197lbs.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga