FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 27 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LeroyCFischer, JadeKing, Beefcake, WesJones, simonajones111
22933 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
charlie 2
futsaowingchun 2
Zombie Zero 1
harlan 1
Matakiant 1
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
New Topics
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
MA style video library
by
03/22/06 03:18 PM
Recent Posts
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
MA style video library
by charlie
11/11/14 04:05 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/29/14 10:01 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
Forum Stats
22933 Members
36 Forums
35589 Topics
432521 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#121228 - 07/18/04 07:19 PM Re: I hate being a American Born Korean-American.
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Hannah:
The more bad representations of Tae Kwon Do there are out there, the worse people will perceive it. It's just that simple. And because, sadly, the majority of dojangs are blackbelt factories, a lot of people view Tae Kwon Do as an unreputable, Buy-Not-Earn martial art. The martial art itself is fine, it's some of the people who represent it who are not.

I'm 16, and I got my first dan last year. A few people have told me that I didn't earn it because of my age. They've never seen me train, they don't know how long or hard I've worked, they haven't seen my skill level. They just lump me together with all those other blackbelts who probably didn't earn it, but bought it.

Focus on being the exception.

Also, where in Michigan did you grow up? I'm from Kalamazoo!
[/QUOTE]

I'm from Holland, about 2 hours from you. I go to Kalamazoo sometimes to meet my friends at Kalamzoo college.. but I'm here in Virginia for military.

#121229 - 07/22/04 05:43 PM Re: I hate being a American Born Korean-American.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Michigin - Holland? Isn't that a country?
Sorry, I'm from the UK, so it never ceases to surprise me when just about every name in America is called after a really boring place in England or Europe- take York for example. Most boring place in the world!

Anyway, as far as I'm concerned, who cares if many dojangs are belt factories. Ignore that, train to be as good as you can be, don't take grading when you don't feel you're ready. In the end, people who tell you that tkd sucks are being narrowminded. If you train properly, and you know the belt you have has been earned, you'll have no problem defending yourself. Lennox Lewis is a great boxer, Bruce Lee was a great martial artist, whatever people say, if you study them enough you'll see that.

Train for yourself, not other people. If you can beat a red belt when you're a green belt, then it's the red belt that has to feel ashamed, not you.

I personally have postponed my green tag(ITF) training for a month, just because I don't think the first movement of my Dan Gun isn't good enough. Instructors love a student who wants to be as good as he can be, it shows real commitment.

Go out there and train till you think you're ready, and yes steriotypes will always be drawn. Just try being a Jewish Englander with German Jewish and Polish Catholic Grandparents, people can have hours of fun just trying to choose which steriotype to draw!

#121230 - 07/24/04 02:19 PM Re: I hate being a American Born Korean-American.
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Supremor:
Michigin - Holland? Isn't that a country?
Sorry, I'm from the UK, so it never ceases to surprise me when just about every name in America is called after a really boring place in England or Europe- take York for example. Most boring place in the world!

Anyway, as far as I'm concerned, who cares if many dojangs are belt factories. Ignore that, train to be as good as you can be, don't take grading when you don't feel you're ready. In the end, people who tell you that tkd sucks are being narrowminded. If you train properly, and you know the belt you have has been earned, you'll have no problem defending yourself. Lennox Lewis is a great boxer, Bruce Lee was a great martial artist, whatever people say, if you study them enough you'll see that.

Train for yourself, not other people. If you can beat a red belt when you're a green belt, then it's the red belt that has to feel ashamed, not you.

I personally have postponed my green tag(ITF) training for a month, just because I don't think the first movement of my Dan Gun isn't good enough. Instructors love a student who wants to be as good as he can be, it shows real commitment.

Go out there and train till you think you're ready, and yes steriotypes will always be drawn. Just try being a Jewish Englander with German Jewish and Polish Catholic Grandparents, people can have hours of fun just trying to choose which steriotype to draw!
[/QUOTE]

Hahah nice post you have there. HOlland, Michigan is a place where Dutch Immigrants used to live a long time ago.. well now things have changed and many mexicans live here now , they have killed the city almost... we still have Windmills that one of them the nazis shot then gave to use here in the US, tulip, Tulip time parades. Dutch chocolate etc..

#121231 - 07/25/04 07:41 PM Re: I hate being a American Born Korean-American.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sorry to Hi-jack the post here, But I'm from Michigan too. Near Lansing. Have any of you gone to the Great Lakes State Cup and competed?

#121232 - 07/25/04 08:31 PM Re: I hate being a American Born Korean-American.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey, I feel that in TKD they do just give u belts, but if you feel you have earned it, then it wasnt just a 'give me' I am currently a white belt, and even though it is white belt, I have been giving it my all, my instructor appreciates that too, because he said he has had some white belts come in there, do the stuff, and go on to Yellow Belt, and not build a good foundation for higher ranks, he told me that u need a good foundation, so u can 'build the rest of the house' b/c if u go to put the roof on, the house will fall..he uses that as an example, and I don't want a storm to come through and blow my house down, in a higher rank, if I don't dedicate myself in white belt! White Belt isn't just a starting position, its what will affect you in higher ranks. Some people stereotype that, they say oh ur a white belt, u don't know nothing..yes i do! Sorry for the ranting!!

#121233 - 07/26/04 05:28 PM Re: I hate being a American Born Korean-American.
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by sparc872:
Sorry to Hi-jack the post here, But I'm from Michigan too. Near Lansing. Have any of you gone to the Great Lakes State Cup and competed?[/QUOTE]

I went to last year's Great Lakes State Cup and competed in forms.

I think it was in...oh, geeze. It started with a B and was north of Ann Arbor? I think.

#121234 - 08/03/04 11:41 AM Re: I hate being a American Born Korean-American.
Anonymous
Unregistered

I totally agree, but parents today want everyone to be a winner and if their little baby boy wasnt progresing they would take them out. But the low belt go through pretty fast untill they hit black....so black is all jujded at he same level where the others are judjed how old u are

#121235 - 08/04/04 09:35 PM Re: I hate being a American Born Korean-American.
Anonymous
Unregistered

i FIRMLY AGREE that many dojos are simply handing out belts. i quit my dojo. hell it was an american made MA said to b made of some other ones from asia. w/e at any rate i agree, and if sum1 can explain muay thai to me and wat it is i would b grateful. i dont like not being in a dojo.

#121236 - 08/04/04 10:56 PM Re: I hate being a American Born Korean-American.
Anonymous
Unregistered

the school that I go to basicly hands out belts every few months. there are green belts who can't even do a round kick. My friend had to teach the person how to do one. i am currently studying karate though. my friend is unorthadox but he's taking karate right now. I am an ornage belt and I really love MA so I train and practice my kicks, punches, and katas as much as possible. One of my best friends moved to florida about a month again and is taking tkd. At the school he goes to now, they give u ur belt on ur skill. not just to give out belts. he's gonna be a red belt now. I wish the school i go to was based on skill.

#121237 - 11/04/04 09:03 PM Re: I hate being a American Born Korean-American.
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm from the Philippines and I'm yellow belt. We lived in Hong Kong when I was a baby because my mom worked there and we came back here when mom's work is over and she has days off. I started taekwondo 5 months ago and I loved it. My dad's another taekwondo practitioner and we love to spar! My mom and dad wants me to become a black belt because all of us are athletic and my younger brother is also taking taekwondo. My dad is trained under the instructors of Ilocos (a province somewhere in the north) and he had been previewing of what will I expect in taekwondo. my mom has american blood but we never mentioned it because my mom is pure Filipino deep inside. I loved being a Filipino, especially of their reputation of being a taekwondo country and also being the home of some greats: Monsour Del Rosario, Stephen Fernandez, and Antoinette Rivero. Be proud of your country and you won't regret it.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga