FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 42 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
mohdnabeel, sunny, swordy, jerrybarry24, SenseiGregT
22915 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 3
Matakiant 3
AndyLA 3
GojuRyuboy13 1
log1call 1
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
Today at 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
mindfullness meditation
by
01/06/09 11:27 AM
Recent Posts
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
Today at 12:10 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Victor Smith
09/28/14 07:11 PM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
09/19/14 09:05 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
09/18/14 06:07 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
09/16/14 04:43 PM
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
Forum Stats
22915 Members
36 Forums
35579 Topics
432500 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#121218 - 06/19/04 02:38 PM I hate being a American Born Korean-American.
Anonymous
Unregistered

hi all, i'm 21 years old and I just EARNED my orange belt today.

First of all i'm a little disappointed because when I was looking for schools couple months ago, every single school asked me If i were korean... what difference does it make? I was born in Indiana and grew up in Michigan. Then I came into another school in Virginia Beach and some little kid asked me if I am a black belt? No these arent' just caucasians,.. but japanese, Koreans, Philipino and african americans.

I am a little disturbed on the American style of TaeKwonDo. They just give out belts. In my opinion, i think i earn my belt. Thers these students who mess around and still have higher belts than me. Thers this white belt who couldn't do anything...and she still got a yellow.. that dissapointed me. My mom who was trained in korea is a 2nd dan black belt told me that you have to earn your belt, I mean, if you fail.. then you fail.

then my friends told me that TaeKwonDO sucks... but i simply told them..... you watch too much Movies. They expect me to do what the stunt masters do. Oh well. I guess the stereotypes will never stop in the Good ole' US of A.

God bless america!

#121219 - 06/19/04 03:27 PM Re: I hate being a American Born Korean-American.
TKD_USA Offline

I can tell that you just started Tae Kwon Do not to long ago, so be warned there will be a lot of people who will tell you that Tae kwon do sucks. But what do you expect it is the most practiced art so of course people will have someting bad to say about it. And you will also see many Black belts who can't even do a proper round kick, but as long as you know you worked hard to get where you are nothing else matters.
Just a warning [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

#121220 - 06/19/04 08:52 PM Re: I hate being a American Born Korean-American.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yeah, I'm working hard because I failed in Golf middle school team and I failed Soccer in High school team. I'm really working hard in TaeKwonDo and I ain't giving up or failing.

TKD_USA.. where you from and what belt are you?

[This message has been edited by Korean_Redneck (edited 06-19-2004).]

#121221 - 07/08/04 11:02 AM Re: I hate being a American Born Korean-American.
Anonymous
Unregistered

The reason a lot of people will tell you that Tae Kwon Do sucks is because there are so many schools pumping out Tae Kwon Do black belts who get cocky and wind up in trouble. I think you mentioned that you have a fight with a wrestler who thought he was a real bad dude and you kicked his butt. Does that mean that wrestling sucks? It just means that you were the better fighter in that situation. If that wrestler had beaten you he would probably be going around telling people how silly TKD is. It is probably not the best art for fighting an experienced street fighter though, handgun training is best for that. ;-)

BTW: Congratulations on your orange belt!

[This message has been edited by neckbreaker (edited 07-08-2004).]

#121222 - 07/08/04 11:22 AM Re: I hate being a American Born Korean-American.
goldencrane Offline

Loc: Kansas City Kansas USA
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Korean_Redneck:
hi all, i'm 21 years old and I just EARNED my orange belt today.

First of all i'm a little disappointed because when I was looking for schools couple months ago, every single school asked me If i were korean... what difference does it make? I was born in Indiana and grew up in Michigan. Then I came into another school in Virginia Beach and some little kid asked me if I am a black belt? No these arent' just caucasians,.. but japanese, Koreans, Philipino and african americans.

I am a little disturbed on the American style of TaeKwonDo. They just give out belts. In my opinion, i think i earn my belt. Thers these students who mess around and still have higher belts than me. Thers this white belt who couldn't do anything...and she still got a yellow.. that dissapointed me. My mom who was trained in korea is a 2nd dan black belt told me that you have to earn your belt, I mean, if you fail.. then you fail.

then my friends told me that TaeKwonDO sucks... but i simply told them..... you watch too much Movies. They expect me to do what the stunt masters do. Oh well. I guess the stereotypes will never stop in the Good ole' US of A.

God bless america!
[/QUOTE]

First let me say cogratulations on you new rank.

With that said, just stay focused on what you need to do to improve. And everything else will take care of itself.

And just a little sidenote: Most instructors let "white"belts get away with sloppy or poor technique, The progression from White to Yellow, especially with children is more of a confidence booster. And as they go thru the ranks more is demanded and expected of them!!

to Mr Neckbreaker.................nice post [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

#121223 - 07/09/04 01:35 PM Re: I hate being a American Born Korean-American.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Most schools are quite lenient towards white belts. I'm just happy most (I hope) are strict when it comes to giving out black belts.

#121224 - 07/09/04 04:07 PM Re: I hate being a American Born Korean-American.
Anonymous
Unregistered

until last week our taekwondo style did exactly what your saying

they let anyone pass, then polish them up AFTER they get their belt

i recently got my new belt, decided NOT to double grade. like you i want to earn it...and i have all the time in the world

this week one of the seniors (my instructor to be exact!) announced that this will no longer happen as hes fed up with sloppy black belts. from now on a fail is a fail.

how it should be

you want it, earn it...it can only make you stronger

#121225 - 07/09/04 04:21 PM Re: I hate being a American Born Korean-American.
goldencrane Offline

Loc: Kansas City Kansas USA
[QUOTE]Originally posted by J1MBO:
until last week our taekwondo style did exactly what your saying

they let anyone pass, then polish them up AFTER they get their belt

i recently got my new belt, decided NOT to double grade. like you i want to earn it...and i have all the time in the world

this week one of the seniors (my instructor to be exact!) announced that this will no longer happen as hes fed up with sloppy black belts. from now on a fail is a fail.

how it should be

you want it, earn it...it can only make you stronger
[/QUOTE]
I think that's ok if you are talking about adult students. If you are talking about children then I totally disagree with the fail u fail philosaphy.

Think back when you were 8-13 yrs old, How easy it was to get discouraged about anything, If an Instructor decides to fail because the 10 yr old dos'nt look as good as the other 10 yr old then that is thier choice. But I feel that the Art should conform or adapt to the student not the other way around. If as an instructor you never "give-in" on the way people perform you will end up losing alot of students.

I feel that the lower ranks deserve more leinency than the middle and advanced ranks.
If you have sloppy advanced ranks it usually means a sloppy instructor!!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by goldencrane (edited 07-09-2004).]

#121226 - 07/15/04 10:47 PM Re: I hate being a American Born Korean-American.
Anonymous
Unregistered

It all depends on the school. Tae Kwon Do and Tang Soo Do are turning into the fastfoods of American MA and its sad. I take TKD but I am going to real school where you pay to train not to be handed a belt every few months. I am very happy w/ my school and I don't think it could be better. As for the stereotypes...yeah it's pathetic. There was this new kid in school who was Asian. I say Asian because he never revealed his full ethnicity...Anyway, kids expected this new kid to be some Bruce Lee or something. I was like wtf he never took MA. I don't know the point of telling that story but I'm just agreeing w/ you.

#121227 - 07/18/04 12:19 PM Re: I hate being a American Born Korean-American.
Anonymous
Unregistered

The more bad representations of Tae Kwon Do there are out there, the worse people will perceive it. It's just that simple. And because, sadly, the majority of dojangs are blackbelt factories, a lot of people view Tae Kwon Do as an unreputable, Buy-Not-Earn martial art. The martial art itself is fine, it's some of the people who represent it who are not.

I'm 16, and I got my first dan last year. A few people have told me that I didn't earn it because of my age. They've never seen me train, they don't know how long or hard I've worked, they haven't seen my skill level. They just lump me together with all those other blackbelts who probably didn't earn it, but bought it.

Focus on being the exception.

Also, where in Michigan did you grow up? I'm from Kalamazoo!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga