FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
1 registered (Bartfast), 31 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SenseiGregT, sagat, JFawkes, pluckysaga39, sgtdemeo
22911 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 5
AndyLA 5
Ed_Morris 4
futsaowingchun 3
ergees 3
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Recent Posts
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
08/29/14 10:50 PM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/28/14 02:39 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:58 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
08/16/14 04:59 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Forum Stats
22911 Members
36 Forums
35573 Topics
432484 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#120679 - 05/19/04 01:06 PM Re: Why is ATA so bad?
Anonymous
Unregistered

To Uriel- I was wondering what your back ground is as far as which styles and what branch of those styles you have studied and what your experience with the ATA is. Did you train there or is it just heresay. I hear you saying you are retired in other posts so I assume you have quite a bit of experience.

To Baji Brad- who is Mr. Kaufman
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Uriel:
I am glad you found what you were looking for in the ATA.

:: wonders who else thinks I must be severely medicated right now ::
[/QUOTE]

#120680 - 05/19/04 04:26 PM Re: Why is ATA so bad?
WADO Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: denver co usa
I'm not sure what the ATA is but I am trying to research it I hope I don't find that guy Stephen Oliver behind it.

#120681 - 05/19/04 04:26 PM Re: Why is ATA so bad?
Anonymous
Unregistered

TKD info's post: [QUOTE],My friend is a Martial Arts Lawyer, please check his website out [URL=http://karatelaw.com/martialarts.html[/QUOTE]

[This message has been edited by Baji Brad (edited 05-19-2004).]

#120682 - 05/19/04 04:49 PM Re: Why is ATA so bad?
Uriel Offline
Enthusiast

Have I TRAINED under the ATA system? God no. Have I SEEN products of the ATA System? Yes. Have I been invited to instruct for ATA? Yes. Have I been invited to put my NAME to an ATA school? Yes.

Would I ever? Hell no.

I've been around long enough to know a mcdojo and baby, ATA takes the cake and the pie too.

For the ATA's point of view their website is:
http://www.ataonline.com/index.asp

Here are a few ATA things...

A) GUARANTEED BLACKBELT
B) Kids getting MULTIPLE DANS
C) Their techniques, from what I have experienced, are poor..at best.
D) Their Insturctors are not usually the person on the marquee but rather people he gets to teach
E) It is a healthclub mentality (read as contract)
F) Their "NATIONAL CHAMPIONS" are only champions because the ATA has a CLOSED nationals available ONLY to them.
G) Their forms are COPYRIGHTED to prevent anyone else doing them in competitions.
H) Only ATA Uniforms maybe used...

hmmmmm

Sounds like a money making scam to me.

I could go on, but I won't. I've given the sons of a bi... far too much of my time discussing the wonders of the ATA.

But seriously, they are great at one thing.

A Day Care Center.

If you find ATA to be your liking, then do the ATA.

There are two sides to every story and that is just my small view on the ATA, I am sure the ATA has another side.

Shortly put though, these are the guys that 1st Round KO sees as "taekwondo" people and judges the art as thus. McDojos...

[This message has been edited by Uriel (edited 05-19-2004).]

#120683 - 01/14/05 08:08 PM Re: Why is ATA so bad?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Handing out Black Belts? THats an insult not only to the student, its an insult to my country. My Name is jin sung and i am from korea. my grandfather instructs a style of tae kwon do that has been around since the ancient silla dynasty. Tae Kwon do unified my country, my people, and my heritage. Even rumors of such things are horrible. before this i had never heard of purchased black belts. if thats what is happening at this ATA school then the answer is simple. IT IS BAD!!!

#120684 - 01/15/05 11:54 PM Re: Why is ATA so bad?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Jinsung,

I think ATA had a great beginning from Korea until about 1983, then the founders of the school ran into some very great US Market People and copyrighted all the poomesae and voila...that's what we have here today at the ATA-a McDojo.

Now there are very great instructors and Olympic Style fighters in this school but they are far and few between unfortunately.

This is a place to learn some confidence while playing other sports, provide some daycare and a very nice alternative to Cardio -Kickboxing...which is the godawful most boring way to workout since the treadmill.

ATA as a Martial Art school? .......to be determined. Martial Sport is closer to it all-overall.

McDojo? Yes. But then, I saw alot of nice things this McDojo did for alot of families so I'm not totally against it. But no; I wouldn't either consider it remotely close to a bonafied martial art school either.

but, it may work for you because we are all individuals and I cannot say what is good for one or another.

I liked it but liked my Hung Gar Kung Fu training better, for I paid whenever I wanted to monthly for my dues and my instructor was from Hong Kong and knew what was important and what was not. Trophies? fah. At ATA trophies are everything but not in the Hung Gar Kung Fu School. It's "learn as much as you can and pass it all down". Being ex military, I relate to that.

Overall? EVERY martial art is good in my book-just find the one that fits you like that very favorite pair of jeans. ATA works for alot of people so I'll never diss it. I got my ass handed to me a couple times thier too in some fights so their are some good fighters in the school too.

In summary; Just Do It. -and ENJOY. It's all good.

#120685 - 01/16/05 09:43 AM Re: Why is ATA so bad?
Anonymous
Unregistered

What is ATA, and how do you know if you are attending an ATA McDojo?

#120686 - 01/16/05 09:37 PM Re: Why is ATA so bad?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Isn't this typical. We start off with a general discussion and end up with a bitch slapping contest between TKDinfo, JohnL, and Uriel. Could you possibly post reply's that are on subject and do not degrade someon elses opinion with name calling or other such language.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but they can be expressed in a civilised manner. I'm just sick of reading the cras language.

#120687 - 01/16/05 10:19 PM Re: Why is ATA so bad?
Anonymous
Unregistered

The ATA is not bad. Granted, there may be bad Masters. I personally feel that the ATA has made TKD more of a sport and less of a way of life, but come to think of it, so has the WTF and the ITF. Just remember, the essance of TKD lies within philosophy and good people. Individual Master's make TKD good or bad by thier influence on thier students.

[This message has been edited by MasterTravis (edited 01-16-2005).]

#120688 - 01/16/05 10:24 PM Re: Why is ATA so bad?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Couldn't agree more Master Travis. I hate it when talking about TKD that other martial artists degrade it by saying that it is more of a sport than a proper MA. TKD is a proper MA and in its full is a way of life which can be used to benefit a persons well being.

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga