FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 23 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
mohdnabeel, sunny, swordy, jerrybarry24, SenseiGregT
22915 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ed_Morris 4
AndyLA 3
Zombie Zero 2
Matakiant 2
futsaowingchun 2
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
mindfullness meditation
by
01/06/09 11:27 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Eugue Ryu
by
03/27/07 12:06 AM
Recent Posts
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
Yesterday at 09:05 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Matakiant
09/18/14 07:11 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
09/18/14 06:07 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
09/16/14 04:43 PM
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/31/14 09:43 PM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Forum Stats
22915 Members
36 Forums
35575 Topics
432495 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 12 of 13 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 >
Topic Options
#119974 - 12/02/04 12:57 PM Re: Fav thing about TKD
Anonymous
Unregistered

As you can tell by the name, yes, I have studied TKD (along with various other arts). My favorite thing about TKD was the discipline, conditioning, timing, and foot work it helped me to develop. Also, my hand speed increased tremendously while practicing TKD. I have since studied traditional Japanese styles, Northern Style Kung fu, and Grappling Arts. I have found a definite benefit to the time I spent in TKD. All the basic skills you learn there help you in any other Art you study. And no Art is applied exactly as you learn it. You modify it for your situation and circumstance. If you are fighting an opponent who uses mostly western boxing, you may be able to beat him to the punch with a well placed low roundhouse as he fires off his jab, giving you the distance to counter out of his reach. Using a low cut kick roundhouse to the back of a knee might work well to upset his balance or timing as he moves in and sets his weight to punch or clinch. All styles have a benefit, some times the challenge is find and apply it. TKD is no different.

#119975 - 12/08/04 08:36 PM Re: Fav thing about TKD
Anonymous
Unregistered

Everybody else has said something, so I thought I would too. I don't know as much about strictly "traditional" TKD as some, but I can give you my expierience. The style I study is based on TKD. Our system does incorporate other MA, ie.Okinawan Karate & Kung-fu, but starts and ends with TKD. I have found that the truely committed practitioners of the art are VERY profiicient fighters! I cannot claim to be an outstanding fighter myself, but most of those I study with are. A lack of self-defence applications, in our sytem at least, is not the "reality" that many claim. No style is perfect, TKD is no exeption, but it does work if used skillfuly! I have taken enough kicks, and punches for that matter, to know this first hand! I know that MANY people still believe that TKD cannot be used effectively on the strret.What I don't know however, is where this absurd idea comes from. Poor instruction maybe? Perhaps there is too much emphasis in many cases on the sport applications, and not enough emphasis on the principles involved in the effective uses of TKD on the street? Nobody I train with, who has run into a need to defend themselves on the street, has ever had a problem doing so! In my view, that's all that really matters! Peace!

#119976 - 12/17/04 10:15 AM Re: Fav thing about TKD
Anonymous
Unregistered

my favorite thing 4 TKD is both sparing & patterns my pattern is called Won Hyo Its quite difficultwith one move the second circular block its the one thing that my instructor pulls me up 4 but i still like the pattern
[IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

#119977 - 12/19/04 02:03 PM Re: Fav thing about TKD
Anonymous
Unregistered

Won Hyo, now theres a pattern I havent done for a while.

As for people hacked off at TKD, there are always ppl who think theirs is better than everyone elses. Im 6'5" and TKD suits me. Im too tall for judo, Karate is too elegant with its fancy pants katas, which leaves kick boxing and I wanted to do a martial art so TKD had to be the choice. We dont have a massive choice of MAs where I live and I dont really want to travel for miles either.

Besides, if we wanna get funny about it, I thought karate was all about chops and stuff. Cos Im tall I got long legs which means you gotta be DARN good to get in close to me. When I evade I evade to my leg length.

Respect to all MAs, I love TKD cos of the mad kicks, and the kids certainly respect one another in the dojo. If they think they are the mutts nuts then us adults soon take them down a peg or two.

Peace and Respect

Scott

#119978 - 12/19/04 02:52 PM Re: Fav thing about TKD
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Nitronix:
Im 6'5" and TKD suits me. Im too tall for judo, Karate is too elegant with its fancy pants katas, which leaves kick boxing and I wanted to do a martial art so TKD had to be the choice.[/QUOTE]

I don't see how Karate can be too elegant with fancy pants kata, but not TKD. It's the same material.

#119979 - 12/20/04 12:51 PM Re: Fav thing about TKD
Anonymous
Unregistered

hehe... first post here... OK Umm I *LOVE Tae-Kwon-Do... Why? u ask well... I personaly like the tennants(SP?) Courtesy, Integerity, Perseverence, Self Control, Indomitable Spirit. Pretty easy to follow and understand... I'm 15 so u can put me in a category of immature if u want but... I have to agree on the part about kids 10- is a stupid idea... mostly due to the kid thinking that he is your boss and he is permitted to give push ups. there are 2 kids in my dojang that are black belts... one is almost ten ant the other is like7 or something... [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/frown.gif[/IMG]. but Other then that I *LOVE Tae-Kwon-Do. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/tongue.gif[/IMG]

#119980 - 12/20/04 01:43 PM Re: Fav thing about TKD
Anonymous
Unregistered

Forms Power and Hardness !!

#119981 - 12/23/04 08:15 AM Re: Fav thing about TKD
Anonymous
Unregistered

i have been reading this fav thing about tkd i fly the ITF flag and as for handing out bb like candy this is not true infact i find it is harder to grade in the itf and it shows when you see a open competition not to say there maybe some itf money making clubs that do this but this is not the norm for most

#119982 - 12/31/04 08:40 AM Re: Fav thing about TKD
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey shooter congrats for your kid. I just wanted to say I think its great how well he's doing and that I dont see any difference between your child and anyother black belt out there.

To agree with all the critics out there he probably couldn't take down a 20 year old black belt in sparring but then again if he's goin' to run into trouble it's more likely he'd be fighting someone of his own age in school which i assume with his abilities he could defend himself more then well.

And hey, maybe he isnt the worlds strongest man but if he can defend himself and others isn't that what it's all about [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

#119983 - 12/31/04 12:24 PM Re: Fav thing about TKD
Anonymous
Unregistered

That I don't train it.

Page 12 of 13 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga