FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 68 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 3
THEFOREVERMAN 3
MattJ 2
SoulJah22 1
royal 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
Today at 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
Today at 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 ... 12 13 >
Topic Options
#119864 - 11/06/03 03:50 AM Fav thing about TKD
kiwi Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Wellington New Zealand
Alot of us do TKD, and I know alot of us are very passionate about it? WHat is you favorite part of TKD. How has TKD helped you in your life?

I really wanted to post this topic because we get alot of heated arguments and negative comments in threads (Most necessary things that help us understand each others views). Would be cool to have a few more positve comments about TKD in this forum.

I really enjoy patterns. There are so many little things to pick up. I don't think i've evr gone through all my patterns without coming away with a little query about a technique. Patterns are also great for relaxing me, sparring is so intense, wearing myslef out with patterns is the best way to wind down for me.

TKD is a great outlet for agression to. Beating the stuffing out of the bag or having a spar with a partner knocks all the agression right out of you.

The feeling after a hard traing, theres nothing better.

#119865 - 11/06/03 09:55 AM Re: Fav thing about TKD
Big Bear Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northern Ireland
Kiwi,

I must be the opposite of you when it comes to patterns-i can't stand doing them!!! However i love watching my instructor doing the later ones. Maybe its because i've only been studying the art for about 1.5 years that i just don't "get" patterns. I can't flow into them as some seem to.

I do have to agree with you on the kicking the shit out of a pad/bag/partner bit though. The feeling that i get from any excercise involving pad work and sparring is great.

Although kicking may be not as useful or as highly used, i get a better feelin within myself when i connect with a kick rather than a punch. The kicks and the variety in each and every one are my favourite parts of tkd.

Big Bear.

[This message has been edited by Big Bear (edited 11-06-2003).]

#119866 - 11/06/03 02:41 PM Re: Fav thing about TKD
Karate kid Offline
Enthusiast

ive never seen TKD help me in life. The funest part? I would say listening to the instructor talk nonsense about how AWESOME the art is.

#119867 - 11/07/03 02:57 AM Re: Fav thing about TKD
kempo_jujitsu Offline
Veteran

Loc: illinois, usa
for me it was quite simple, where i studied tkd it was sport, nonsense when it came to real fighting, but at least they told you that up front.
my favorite thing about tkd...ITS FUN!
second favorite thing...it was easy to kick the crap out of everyone [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]
in the end, i got about half way to black belt and wanted a new direction, more realistic in terms of combat value, i didnt agree with their teaching methods, they were the reason many people now hate tkd, they simply didnt teach it (even somewhat) correctly, there was no dissecting of the forms (sets, patterns, hyungs, poomse) it was do the form, then get a belt. absolutely no "thinking outside the box" infact there wasnt even any thinking INSIDE the box!! no applications of the movements from the forms at all...none!! that is what makes kata dead...the lack of bunkai or applications and interpretations. in short...it was bs so i left. you shouldnt have to "modify" the kata movements for them to work, you just have to understand that you are probably misenterpreting the movements in the first place....then open your mind and think outside the box and see the MOVEMENTS...not this setup into this block and then punch and chamber your fist...etc....and also realize that you dont HAVE to aim every kick at the head...they teach you how to kick, where you aim that kick should be up to you.
greatest benefit i got from that particular tkd...it made me light on my feet, it taught me how to kick, and taught me what NOT to do...thats about it.
not knocking tkd, just THAT tkd. sorry for the rant [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

#119868 - 11/07/03 03:25 PM Re: Fav thing about TKD
kiwi Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Wellington New Zealand
I really wanted to post this topic because we get alot of heated arguments and negative comments in threads (Most necessary things that help us understand each others views). Would be cool to have a few more positve comments about TKD in this forum.

Can I make it any clearer, this is for praising TKD, if your going to be negative post on one of the other topics.

#119869 - 11/07/03 09:11 PM Re: Fav thing about TKD
Anonymous
Unregistered

I don't study tkd as such,but one of our new students came from a tkd school.All I can say is his kicks are pretty.He can snap those suckers out, great form.

#119870 - 11/08/03 04:27 AM Re: Fav thing about TKD
kempo_jujitsu Offline
Veteran

as i said i learned how to kick, to be light on my feet, what not to do in a real fight(yes thats a good thing)and had great fun....thats it.
is that better [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

#119871 - 11/11/03 11:24 PM Re: Fav thing about TKD
eL Duce Offline

Loc: Philippines
practicing TKD made my stamina a lot better, kicks a lot heavier,my shins tougher and my speed faster.

though you consider this discipline just for sports, still, it makes its practitioner tougher.

btw, knowing an art also builds confidence..
confidence is different from arrogance

PEACE!

#119872 - 11/12/03 07:29 AM Re: Fav thing about TKD
JohnL Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: NY, NY, USA
Taekwondo taught me that 80% of kicking techniques are a waste of time and space.

JohnL

#119873 - 11/12/03 06:27 PM Re: Fav thing about TKD
kempo_jujitsu Offline
Veteran

lol agreed 80% of "mainstream" kicking techniques are bs.
even if you only learn what NOT to do from an art, then its good i say.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 ... 12 13 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga