FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 25 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
sunny, swordy, jerrybarry24, SenseiGregT, sagat
22914 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ed_Morris 4
futsaowingchun 3
ergees 2
Zombie Zero 2
AndyLA 2
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
mindfullness meditation
by
01/06/09 11:27 AM
Recent Posts
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
Yesterday at 04:43 PM
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
09/07/14 07:01 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
09/02/14 06:26 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/31/14 09:43 PM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
Forum Stats
22914 Members
36 Forums
35575 Topics
432492 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 ... 10 11 >
Topic Options
#119740 - 09/01/03 03:41 PM Re: High kicks- why bother?
Rand Offline

it depends on your body type

say some one is very tall
they will have longer legs
that would make a higher kick easier than someone who is shorter with shorter legs

#119741 - 09/01/03 04:41 PM Re: High kicks- why bother?
Big Bear Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northern Ireland
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Colly:
So when would you use it, and what is the point of practising it as an alternative to low kicks? I'm not trying to be vindictive or argumentative mind you, i'm just curious.[/QUOTE]

No problem Colly, i understand where you are coming from. All i can say is you might just need it some day. You could finish a fight with an axe kick-if you winded your opponent. If someone is weilding a knife, with blade turned up, and you have no eans of escape, a cresent kick may suffice (this may sound like idealistic training but it's something i practice with the "knife weilder" holding a stick with a punching glove to protect his hand-the reason i practice this is tht before i took up any other matial art, i didn't know any knife defenses and was told that this was a use for a cresent kick-out of habit i still practice it but i'm not sure how confident i am with it-seems very hollywood to be honest.

I don't think i wold ever choose a high kick as a 1st line of defense but you never know the situation, it might be of use someday and that is why i practise it.

Big Bear

#119742 - 09/01/03 05:23 PM Re: High kicks- why bother?
Isshin Dude Offline

Loc: Knoxville Tennessee U.S.A
Hey colly, Whoever says, that you can use highkicks on the street does'nt know what he/she is talking about. It would be better to use low kicks,In other words< there should be no kicks above the waste. Lowkicks allow you to move swiftly,& With better ballance,& Power. PS Maybe in a utopian world highkicks would work,But in the real world,Where it's not just the guy in front of you ,But his friends you've to worry about,& low rapid kick rapid kicks will enable you to move more freely. =============================================Regards Sensei Rhodes

#119743 - 09/01/03 06:59 PM Re: High kicks- why bother?
Colly Offline

I still want clarification on my original question, but as an aside- if you are in a street fight and your opponent is wielding a knife the best style is to bail. Knife defense is based on predicting and in my opinion you just can't predict what a person willing to stab a man is going to do.

#119744 - 09/02/03 12:57 AM Re: High kicks- why bother?
kiwi Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Wellington New Zealand
Yea colly it's a great site.

Big Bear

A major artery runs thorugh your leg. If youu get cut you will alomst certainly suffer severe blood loss or maybe even die. Frankly you better of getting stabbed in the gut.

Ishinn

So Geoff Thompson, a former bouncer, who has used a high kick in a fight, does not know what he is talking. Thsi guy is one of the most experienced street fighters in the world. Sorry mate but I'm going to take hsi word over yours.

P.S I'm not saying that high kicks should be used all the time, I'm just saying that they can be used and can be effective.

[This message has been edited by kiwi (edited 09-02-2003).]

#119745 - 09/02/03 07:24 AM Re: High kicks- why bother?
Big Bear Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northern Ireland
[QUOTE]Originally posted by kiwi:
Yea colly it's a great site.

Big Bear

A major artery runs thorugh your leg. If youu get cut you will alomst certainly suffer severe blood loss or maybe even die. Frankly you better of getting stabbed in the gut.

Kiwi, there are arteries all over your body pal. I'd still take a cut to my leg than to my gut-i don't know y, just don't like the thought of having a knife in my belly.

With regards to the technique, i don't think its one i'd use myself, its just one that was in my mind. I was taking it to the extreme though.i mean, knife being held with blade pointin towards sky, attacker not having a clue (maybe even blind!!!!) etc. Yeah i admit its a shit technique but i was trying to think of examplea as quickly as possible.

Kiwi i've just finished one of Geoff thompson's books-real kicking. Its short but a good read. He does say that high kicks shouldn't be used in the street, but there are exceptions to the rule-always. Kiwi try and get the book, i don't mean to enlighten you or anything, just from one tkd practioneer to another, and also because you seem interested in Geoff Thompson. He has stacks of other books pout as well, fom real kicking to real punching etc.

Big Bear

#119746 - 09/02/03 08:18 AM Re: High kicks- why bother?
JohnL Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: NY, NY, USA
[QUOTE]Originally posted by kiwi:
Ishinn

So Geoff Thompson, a former bouncer, who has used a high kick in a fight, does not know what he is talking. Thsi guy is one of the most experienced street fighters in the world. Sorry mate but I'm going to take hsi word over yours.

P.S I'm not saying that high kicks should be used all the time, I'm just saying that they can be used and can be effective.

[/QUOTE]

Hi Kiwi
The problem is that people who practice high kicks believe that they are effective on the street.

I define effective as, when you throw a technique it is probably going to work.
Having one instance when a high kick worked does not make it an effective technique.
The chances of pull off a high kick in street situations are minimal. As such the technique is ineffective.

Take it out of your "fighting" reportoire.

JohnL

#119747 - 09/02/03 03:38 PM Re: High kicks- why bother?
UKfightfreak Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: San Francisco
Personally I would not use high kicks on the street, even though I can throw them at any time, any height and with full power with no warm up - most people do need to warm up making the situation worse. Ability to do high kicks is about strength in your legs, the stronger they are the more flexible they should be, if this is the case your low and medium height kicks should be more powerful.

Also Geoff Thompson describes a high kick that worked, he certainly does NOT advocate them for use on the street.

As for high kicks generally, I don't train in Martial Arts just for street combat, I enjoy kicking high in sparring - so why bother?

Why bother doing anything?

Why not just sit at home bolt the door and sit on the internet typing shite (?) then you wouldn't need to know any Martial Arts at all.

#119748 - 09/02/03 11:07 PM Re: High kicks- why bother?
Colly Offline

Settle yourself- don't take it personally. I didn't mean why bother at all, if you read my posts I said why bother practising high kicks as an alternative to low kicks.

#119749 - 09/02/03 11:58 PM Re: High kicks- why bother?
kiwi Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Wellington New Zealand
Take it out of your fighting repetoir. I would not and never have used a head kick in a street fight. Please do not think that because I am defending something that I use it heavily. I only defend things when blanket statements are thrown over certain techniques whoever saids that you can use a head kick in a street fight doesn't know what their talking about. My aim here is too show that high kicking can work on the street and is worth learning. Not that it should be used on the street and is worth learning by itself with no hands.

Big Bear

My Master used to get taught exactly what you are talking about. He then became a PE teacher and realised the danger this technique would put him in extreme danger in a real situation (with a knife). There are so many places that you are better taking a cut too then your leg e.g the palm down side of your forearm (not the side all those veins are on, the other side).

Page 2 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 ... 10 11 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga