FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
1 registered (log1call), 32 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SenseiGregT, sagat, JFawkes, pluckysaga39, sgtdemeo
22911 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
AndyLA 5
Dobbersky 5
Ed_Morris 4
futsaowingchun 3
ergees 2
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
New Topics
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Recent Posts
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
Yesterday at 10:50 PM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/28/14 02:39 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:58 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
08/16/14 04:59 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Forum Stats
22911 Members
36 Forums
35572 Topics
432483 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 10 of 11 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 >
Topic Options
#119820 - 03/05/04 09:11 PM Re: High kicks- why bother?
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by medulanet:
Shotokan, first, what is a front stamp kick? Second, why does it result in a Technical Knockout? Third, why can't a person block a kick with one arm? [/QUOTE]

A front stamp kick is also called a front thrust kick or in Mauy Thai a push kick (or something like that)

It results in a KO because it utilizes the chin as a lever/hammer to send a shockwave to the brain and shut it down. The same way and upper cut works in boxing.

I've seen the martial art Silat do something simular, but [in ground fighting] the kick was deliverd from a standing position to someone one the ground with their arm trapped and pulled towards the kick [which amplifies the power of the thrust/stamp kick].

The opponent may suceed if he is much stronger, but is unlikely if you trap and pull him off-balace breaking his structure. You need the mobility of you upper body to block if you are trapped it makes it harder to do that.

[This message has been edited by Shotokan (edited 03-06-2004).]

#119821 - 04/03/04 10:47 PM Re: High kicks- why bother?
xxjinhyungxx Offline

-.-;;;
high kicks useless in TKD??
-.-;;; that is a load of crap, 75% of TKD or other leg sport KO's are from headkicks. and not only are they "just beacuse in tkd u can only kick" but it is also like that in a streetfight. JohnL and other idiots think you can grab a leg real easy. that kicker must be a slow-ass-motherfuker
lol
u cant grab a leg while its kicking toward your face.
1. someone tries to maul u in the face
2. you can do a hook kick, it will usually hit his chest or head or hands(which get pushed to ur face, so ur punching urself -.-; [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG]

1. someone triest to maul u in the face
2. you do a turn jump back kick, right in the face or the stomach.
result = instant KO

high kicks own, but u dont go and highkcik everyfigher that you fight. if u do, ur just a dumbass. thats like backfisting in boxing as your first punch. you'll never hit a guy.
low kicks = basic combo kicks
high kicks = finishing or large damage kicks
, also if you are a good street fighter, you would distrat them w/ low kicks or hurt their legs w/ low kicks. and while they bend low for protection, a high push kick to their face

my opinoin: high kicks own when used well

jINhYuNG ahN

#119822 - 04/05/04 08:01 AM Re: High kicks- why bother?
JohnL Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: NY, NY, USA
Well there's a truly inteligent explanation.

Hey Kiwi, with this guy in your corner, there's no hope. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

JohnL

#119823 - 04/13/04 07:23 PM Re: High kicks- why bother?
Uriel Offline
Enthusiast

High kicks eh? Well we know the sport application to high kicks...

Street wise? Honestly? I would be comfortable doing a high kick. But you know I wouldn't tell anyone else to do one. Keep the kicks below the belt...knees and such. Armpits if presentable, the side..yada yada.

But high kicks for me are a bit ummm...yeah. I was graced with flexibility and the ability to be "just fast enough". So a point blank (nose to nose) cresent kick can be done with reasonable power. But seriously that would just be showing off. If a fight is going your way so much that you can do a high kick or if you want that lottery kick type thing..maybe you shouldn't be still fighting the person? I mean...what's the point in violence right?

Just walk away from stuff. That's my motto.

#119824 - 04/15/04 12:22 PM Re: High kicks- why bother?
tkdfreak Offline
Stranger

Loc: GA, Augusta, USA
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Colly:
I was curious as to why we even bother with high kicks? In most sparring head shots are illegal and, from what I've read, you all pretty much agree that high kicks are useless in a street fight. So except as flexibility increasing exercises, exactly what are they good for?[/QUOTE]

tkd green belt I know that, punching is strong and affective but overtime. Your distance is your key during street fights as a finshing blow. And a combination is the mix of a free body to understand this. You should use every body part but like it's a weapon.

#119825 - 04/15/04 02:54 PM Re: High kicks- why bother?
Isshinryukid4life Offline
Professional Injury causer

Loc: Knoxville.
tkdfreak said, Tkd green belt I know that, Punching is strong and affective but overtime. Your distance is your key during street fights as a finshing blow. And a combination is the mix of a free body to understand this. You should use every body part but like it's a weapon.

Let's look at what's practical as well as realistic.Most fights are either at an arms length,Or closer.Either way,You would'nt & should'nt try a risky move such as a high kick,The opprutunity just is'nt there.I'll just give you some basic targets,Knees,Groin,Thighs,Shins,Rach of the ft.Why did i pick these targets? You're a green belt & in no doubt have some knowledge about them.Because,WHile you're defending yourself,It's your job not only to win or stop the fight or whatever,Its to disable your opponett. For example,If the knee is bent while you in range,& When the opprotunity presents itself by all means kick low.If he's alittle farther back,Kick the shins.But sad to say most fights are much closer,& the last thing the defender needs to do, is to try & attempt to even kick above the waist much less to the head. The things to think about, Now days fights are to close for comfort. You might have to end up using your fists,Eldows,Knees,Or even your head.& When/If you go to the ground,What then?So IMCO That a high kick should not be used,Or even taught as a selfdefense technique what soever. Also think of it this way If they'er multi-opponetts.Would you do something as risky as to kick high.Lower kicks come in to play, For seveal reasons. #1 menuverabillty,In other words to move in & out of danerous situations. #2 Keeping your ballance,Enables you to throw his off.#3 You will need to be a split second faster in oder to survive. PS It's not always the toughest that win fights,But the smartest. =====================================Cheers. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

[This message has been edited by Isshinryukid4life (edited 04-15-2004).]

#119826 - 04/17/04 07:49 AM Re: High kicks- why bother?
applegm Offline

Loc: Hong Kong
Hey,

I remember that there was a Korean soldier in Vietnam during the Vietnam war, killed a Green Beret with one single kick.

I presume it was to the head.

Thanks,

#119827 - 04/17/04 09:21 AM Re: High kicks- why bother?
Isshinryukid4life Offline
Professional Injury causer

Loc: Knoxville.
applegm:
apelgm said Hey,

I remember that there was a Korean soldier in Vietnam during the Vietnam war, killed a Green Beret with one single kick.

I presume it was to the head.

Thanks,
Aplgm,No offense,But it Sounds more like hear say then actual proof.

#119828 - 04/18/04 01:02 AM Re: High kicks- why bother?
Uriel Offline
Enthusiast

a *korean* soldier in *vietnam* killing a *green barret* with *one single shot*

yeah..um...

#119829 - 04/18/04 01:33 PM Re: High kicks- why bother?
nekogami13 V2.0 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Texas, USA
A korean soldier, fighting in viet nam. I suppose it was possible.
Killed a green beret with a kick to the head?
Was this after he shot him with his ak-47 and the green beret was lying on the ground?
Or did the korean soldier spring from the jungle, running towards the green beret who was defenseless(though I believe a m-4 carbine beats ANY kick)?

Why stop with a single green beret?
Let's make the story he took out an entire specops group. He did this by standing on one leg, leaning back, flailing the foot of the raised leg around as he hopped after them. Even better, he would have single handedly won the conflict, except when he hopped across the country he fell into the gulf of tonkin and drowned.

Page 10 of 11 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga