FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 33 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LeroyCFischer, JadeKing, Beefcake, WesJones, simonajones111
22933 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
charlie 2
futsaowingchun 2
GojuRyuboy13 1
Zombie Zero 1
harlan 1
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
New Topics
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
MA style video library
by
03/22/06 03:18 PM
Recent Posts
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
MA style video library
by charlie
11/11/14 04:05 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/29/14 10:01 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Forum Stats
22933 Members
36 Forums
35589 Topics
432521 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#119653 - 12/24/05 07:18 PM Re: Olympic TKD [Re: funstick5000]
TeK9 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Northern California, USA
NO kidding, and that's only if your lucky. now aways its not even worth throwing a punch in olympic style tkd. the only technique I train for is when I block a round house with my lead hand and simaltaniously punch with my rear hand. This blocks a kick and stuns the attacker just enough so I can land a rear leg kick to actually score. thats 3 techniques done right there, to get 1 point. Although the punch should be counted it often isn't. Gotta love it. ^^

"Do or do not...there is no try" -Yoda
Vinci

#119654 - 02/12/06 09:19 AM Re: Olympic TKD [Re: TeK9]
TeK9 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Northern California, USA
I should clarify more about the above technique I use for competition.
This technique is used when in closed fighting stance. The attacker throws a rear leg round kick, which I can already anticipate. A good fighter can anticipate his attackers attacks so that he can counter accordingly. You have to learn how to read your opponents, this can only be down through actual sparring practice.

But I dont just wait for the attacker to kick and then I just block. What I do is, I scoot in and block his kicking leg near the inner thigh area. I don't wait for him to extend his leg. This block is meant not to block the kick but to nullify the attack altogether.

Immediatly after I down block his inner thigh, I follow through with a reverse punch which should score a point. If not, I can continue my attack with a rear leg round kick to face or chest.

Tip: There is a secret to this technique. When you block the leg, you can secretly maintain or hold it (trap it) in place for a few moments, this keeps the opponent off balance which allows you to follow up with a kick to either the chest or the face.

This is the only technique I can think of where a down block is used in competition to set up a punch to score. In a self defense situation this down block would really be an attack to the inner thigh, it can cause a nice bit of damage on the attacker. Durrin tournament it is forbidden to attack a limb, however, with this technique you can get away with it. Once you have the leg blocked you can secretly open your hands into a knife block and slightly maintain the kicking leg trapped for a moment to off balance your opponent, leaving you an oppertunity to score. If your bold enough to take it. I know my students are. How about you?

I decided to revive this thread, it has some nice diverse opinions about sparring and it's purpose. But mainly I just liked what I posted. LOL

-Tek
Vinci

#119655 - 02/12/06 05:42 PM Re: Olympic TKD [Re: TeK9]
jamestkdkungfu Offline

as for SD effectiveness try kicking them in the legs instead of midsection with all taekwondo kicks and if they turn slightly away and you can kick them in the head give 'er I dont see why not but i have found it amusing when a guy i knew tried to use it on this guy he was thrown on his ass so fast i found it to be most funny he thought he was fast enough...

#119656 - 02/13/06 02:10 AM Re: Olympic TKD [Re: MikeTkD]
dicen Offline

Olypic point sparring is when two people enter a ring and fight conituously for three, three mintute rounds. Someone post the rules in an earlier post. The object is to score a point with a kick to the body, or to the head.

Punches are not allowed to the head and are rarely counted as a point. The general rule is if it moves the opponent then its a point. If you fall down when doing your technique it will not be counted but thats a little iffy. I've seen fighters gain points when they did a double kick and fell on thier behinds.

On a side note......

Just a question but from all the posts I have read, you all think a tkd black belt who competes in sparring competitions doesn't know the difference between self defense and sparring. I mean one of the first rules I learned was never turn your back on your opponent. Yet in sparring there are dozens of spinning kicks. I mean when you are a white belt you learn 4 basic blocks, then when you grow as a student you learn the uses of a palm block. Even in modern TKD you have some fundamentals that stick with you even if you do train more for competition. Its ridiculous to read all these posts about "just because you are an excellent competition fighter you are not good at self defense"

Remember sparring, self defense, and fighting are 3 different things. Sparring is supposed to be the practice against a living opponent, self defense is a counter attack used in the first physical encounter of a fight. If you do not end the fight in that first encounter, then it becomes fighting in which case all those techniques fly out the window cause now the other person knows what he's up against.

Remember we practice martial arts, not actual fighting. If you want to learn how to fight I suggest you join the military.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga