FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 32 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn
22904 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 14
cxt 7
trevek 6
JKogas 5
futsaowingchun 3
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Throwing
by
04/23/05 10:58 PM
Recent Posts
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/29/14 05:11 AM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:53 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
07/24/14 11:35 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
Forum Stats
22904 Members
36 Forums
35564 Topics
432455 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#119633 - 08/31/03 06:12 AM Re: Olympic TKD
Anonymous
Unregistered

Competition fighting and "real" fighting are two totally different skills. Both require hard training and commitment from the student.

It is a matter of choice for each individual. I used to compete (at local level, very small time) but now I prefer more "realistic" training.

I think as long as those competing and winning trophies realise that this does not make them necessarily brilliant at defending themselves when the doo doo hits the fan, let them enjoy their sport and any accolades they deserve.

BTW, is anyone going to answer MikeTkD's question? [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]
Sharon

#119634 - 08/31/03 11:51 AM Re: Olympic TKD
Big Bear Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northern Ireland
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ender:
As competitors? Sure!

As fighters? Nope.

Nuff said.
[/QUOTE]

Ender just because someone is exceptionally good at point sparring doesn't make them great fighter, but it also doesn't automatically make them poor ones either.

Big Bear

#119635 - 08/31/03 02:00 PM Re: Olympic TKD
Ender Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Burlington, Ontario, Canada
Agreed. I apologize and retract my previous statement on the basis of "Poor choice or wording".

I agree Big Bear.

Also, your right, they do train just as hard, and I am sorry for putting them down.

#119636 - 08/31/03 04:29 PM Re: Olympic TKD
Big Bear Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northern Ireland
No probs Ender, I'd back a NHB fighter over a point stop fighter myself but we cant rule out exceptions.

Big Bear

#119637 - 09/01/03 11:12 AM Re: Olympic TKD
smittenkittenTKD Offline

Loc: MI usa
Olympic Sparring Rules of Competition

All colored belt matches shall each consist of two rounds of 90 seconds (Black belt 120 seconds), with a thirty (30) second rest in between rounds.

Safety Equipment

All contestants shall wear approved trunk protector, head protector, groin guard, forearm protector, shin-instep protector, and a mouth protector. Jewelry is to be removed and finger and toenails are to be neatly trimmed. Eye glasses are not permitted.

Legal Techniques (Duk-jeom)

One (1) point shall be awarded for each closed fist or kicking technique delivered accurately and with sufficient power to the colored mid-section area and sides of the torso protector, in the absence of any violations. Authorized scoring implements are the forefist and any part of the foot below the ankle.

Points shall be awarded for each kicking technique delivered to the front or side of the head forward of the ears, including the face down to the collarbone. Under A.A.U. and U.S.T.U. sanctioned tournaments, one (1) point is awarded for legal strikes to the trunk protector, with two (2) points being awarded for legal kicks to the head. One (1) additional "bonus" point will be awarded for legal techniques which result in a knockdown requiring an 8-count by the Referee. No punching to the head is allowed.

Fist and foot contact is permitted to the upper non-colored chest area of the torso protector, but is not scored unless the opponent is legitimately "knocked down" (any part of the body other than the foot touches the ground) as a result of the impact of the strike. Foot sweeps and throws are not allowed.

PROHIBITED ACTS

Warnings (Kyong-go) -1 Point for every 2 warnings

Interference with the progress of the match

1. Crossing the Boundary Line.
2. Falling down.
3. Evading by turning the back to the opponent.

Undesirable Acts

4. Grabbing the opponent.
5. Holding the opponent.
6. Touching the opponent with the hand or the trunk.
7. Pretending injury.
8. Butting or attacking with knee.
9. Attacking the groin.
10. Stomping or kicking any part of the leg or foot.
11. Hitting the opponent's face with hand or fist.
12. Kicking directly to opponent's spine or back of the head.
13. Interrupting the progress of the match on the part of the contestant or coach.
14. Avoiding the match.

Deductions (Gam-jeom) -1 Point

Interference with the progress of the match

1. Throwing down the opponent by grappling the opponent's attacking foot in the air with the arm or by pushing the opponent with the hand.
2. Intentionally attacking the fallen opponent after declaration of "Kal-yeo" (break).
3. Intentionally attacking the opponent's face with fist.

Undesirable Acts

4. Temporary suspension of the match due to violent remarks or behaviors on the part of the contestant or coach.

DISQUALIFICATION

1. Total of 3 minus points.

2. Competitor or coach intentionally disobeys the referee or the competition rules.

3. An intentional, illegal strike to an opponent which results in rendering him or her unable to continue the match.

4. *An excessive kick to a Junior's head which results in abrasion or bleeding.

*Junior Rules regarding contact to the Head:

U.S.T.U. (U.S. Taekwondo Union) Junior rules state that no contact to the head is allowed for ages 11 and under. Light, controlled contact is allowed to the facial area for non-black belt levels age 12-17. Sr. rules apply to all Belt levels age 18 and over, and all Black belts age 12 and over.

A.A.U. (Amateur Athletic Union) Jr. Rules state only light, controlled contact to the facial area is allowed for all non-blackbelt levels under the age of 18. Sr. Rules will apply to all Belt levels age 18 and over, and all Black belts age 14 and over.

NOTE: Inability of lack of desire to continue the match due to a legal techinique is not grounds for the disqualification of an opponent.

The winner is determined by superior point totals of successful hits (solid contact) using hands and feet.

One referee, three corner judges, and a juror make the decision and control the competition. The three corner judges keep the score and the juror decides the winner after confirmation of the referee's declaration of warnings, deduction of points, and the judges' score cards. Valid scores are the scored points recognized by the majority of the judges.

In the case of a tie, the referee decides the winner. The determination of the winner is made by the rules of superiority as follows:

1. Deuk-jeom (points scored)
2. Gam-jeom (penalties awarded)
3. The competitor who scored double or triple points by one valid attack.
4. The competitor who has shown the initiative through:

a. Technical dominance of an opponent
through aggressive match management.
b. The greater number of techniques executed.
c. The use of the more advanced techniques,
both in difficulty and complexity.
d. Display of the better competition manner.

Penalties and prohibited acts are declared by the referee. In the case of multiple penalties being committed simultaneously, the heavier penalty is declared. Penalties are divided into Kyong-go (warning penalty) and Gam-jeom (deduction penalty). Two Kyong-go are counted as a deduction of one
(-1) point. However, the last odd Kyong-go is not counted in the grand total. A Gam-jeom is counted as a minus one (-1) point. All Gam-jeom are counted in the grand total.

Ive judged. Hope this helps!

Kitten

#119638 - 11/02/05 09:52 PM Re: Olympic TKD [Re: Rand]
moosulman Offline

I think that you are all wrong.

Simply put.

Sparring helps develop combat technique. There's a lot of anti TKD bashing going around. Don't buy into it just because other people do.

It really [censored] me off to see people jump on the bandwagon with no real knowledge whatsoever.

#119639 - 11/02/05 10:31 PM Re: Olympic TKD [Re: moosulman]
h2whoa Offline

Loc: Fiji
Quote:

I think that you are all wrong.

Simply put.

Sparring helps develop combat technique. There's a lot of anti TKD bashing going around. Don't buy into it just because other people do.

It really [censored] me off to see people jump on the bandwagon with no real knowledge whatsoever.

Hey calm down dude!

I think one of the greatest TKD sports fighters is tom seabourne (Two-time national heavyweight tae kwon do champion. Runner-up in the World Taekwondo Championships. Two-time North American and Pan American Champion. &bull;Two-time All American Athlete. ESPN PKA Full Contact Champion. Chairman of the 1998 USTU National Taekwondo Injury Prevention Committee.)

He didnt win all the time but he was tactical and graceful and a joy to watch!!

You can see him here:

http://www.betterbodz.com/Tom/tom_seabourne.html

I use his fitness books as a skeleton for my workout program!!

*bows respectfully*

#119640 - 11/02/05 10:56 PM Re: Olympic TKD [Re: MikeTkD]
whitetiger Offline

In light of all the anti-TKD bashing and comments made on this particular post, I must say that I have all the confidence in the world in my TKD abillites and I'm sorry, but TKD WILL work effectively against other sparring styles and is NOT just effective against other TKD practitioners. I guess some people do know everything there is to know about TKD. It seems that I could quit my class now and save money by learning from people who know everything about the subject of TKD "effectiveness".

#119641 - 11/02/05 11:08 PM Re: Olympic TKD [Re: whitetiger]
moosulman Offline

Very well put, whitetiger

#119642 - 11/02/05 11:16 PM Re: Olympic TKD [Re: moosulman]
whitetiger Offline

Thank you moosulman. I was smitten with sarcasm at a young age, you may have to look beyond that when I post sometimes.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga